2019 Chevy 3500HD w/ FWC Upgrades

Lardog

Hey all -
first time poster here. Ready to start upgrading my rig and looking for inspiration/advice from all the been there/done that folks out there.

Here goes -

2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax paired with 2019 FWC Hawk. Mostly solo traveler, live in Rockies and spend a lot of time off grid. Thinking about adding the following:

- Fabfours front bumper with 17500K winch
- Fox shocks
- leveling kit w/ HD upper arm controls
- Magnum steps

Overkill? What am I missing?

I don't want to hurt the ride or fuel economy, but I am also looking to build off this in anticipation of an Alaska trip potentially in 2020.

Advice/insight appreciated

If you are looking for fuel economy, putting a camper on and adding all the extra weight is counter-productive. :LOL: The aero drag will have an impact on fuel consumption. The good news is the dirtymax will handle it without too much fuss. I've got customer's with similar trucks getting 18mpg empty. I don't think you are going to loose a ton of mileage but you will loose some. I wouldn't sweat it.

The winch and bumper are a good idea if you do plan on running solo for sure. The leveling kit will help offset the rake that it comes with from the factory, but the big winch and iron bumper might just let the front end settle enough that the rake stays. Only difference is it might be a shade higher on the front.

Should be a beast for sure though!

Lardog said:
If you are looking for fuel economy, putting a camper on and adding all the extra weight is counter-productive. :LOL: The aero drag will have an impact on fuel consumption. The good news is the dirtymax will handle it without too much fuss. I've got customer's with similar trucks getting 18mpg empty. I don't think you are going to loose a ton of mileage but you will loose some. I wouldn't sweat it.

The winch and bumper are a good idea if you do plan on running solo for sure. The leveling kit will help offset the rake that it comes with from the factory, but the big winch and iron bumper might just let the front end settle enough that the rake stays. Only difference is it might be a shade higher on the front.

Should be a beast for sure though!
didnt mean to double reply. Oops. Thanks for input. Excited to upgrade, but a little anxious since they are my new babies. Fuel isn’t to much of a concern - just don’t want to drain Utah of its diesel. Thanks again

Lardog said:
didnt mean to double reply. Oops. Thanks for input. Excited to upgrade, but a little anxious since they are my new babies. Fuel isn’t to much of a concern - just don’t want to drain Utah of its diesel. Thanks again
It's all about perspective. My K5 and FWC combo gets 12mpg on a good day with half the size of what you got. Even if you loose 3mpg you still got better mileage than what I can pull with more power and room inside. I made that compromise so I can take mine in silly tight places where Jeeps play and camp in comfort where my buddies are sleeping in tents.

Lardog said:
Hey all -
first time poster here. Ready to start upgrading my rig and looking for inspiration/advice from all the been there/done that folks out there.

Here goes -

2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax paired with 2019 FWC Hawk. Mostly solo traveler, live in Rockies and spend a lot of time off grid. Thinking about adding the following:

- Fabfours front bumper with 17500K winch
- Fox shocks
- leveling kit w/ HD upper arm controls
- Magnum steps

Overkill? What am I missing?

I don't want to hurt the ride or fuel economy, but I am also looking to build off this in anticipation of an Alaska trip potentially in 2020.

Advice/insight appreciated
With a current year truck and camper I think you are already upgraded!

I'd check the ride heights front and rear first then see if a leveling kit is necessary. I always think of fox as reservoir shocks which are unnecessary on a full size with camper. You're not likely to overheat your stock shocks (you might, but it's rare unless you're a 1%er). You probably dont need 17.5k (based only on your post) so I wouldn't spend the extra money unless there is some other reason. Maybe a 17.5k winch is on sale or fits the bumper better, or...something. I would put as little weight on the front as possible while still getting a winch. Remember, when adding weight front or rear you're effectively creating a lever, more weight farther from the center of gravity, which has a significant impact on ride, especially off road.

T'were me, I'd add add the camper and accessories and then take measurements. I'd only buy new shocks if you need them, understanding that very few shocks allow you to adjust rebound/damping, so almost all shocks are not tuned for the weight of your specific vehicle, and it really doesn't matter. Also, most reservoir shocks are simply made for a different purpose, for going fast over rough/washboard roads. You see them on most vehicles because they are cool, not because they are better. They provide no advantage for on road driving, and little to no advantage for a heavy vehicle being driven slowly off road. Again, t'were me, I'd buy some good Bilstein or Rancho 9000 shocks.

as a Dmax owner who is also thinking of Alaska and Arctic circle, I wonder what your goal is? Stock shocks are ok, but reservoir shocks are only useful for continual pounding at speed. Bilstein 5100 are a great upgrade from stock. If you get a front mount winch, do you also carry an anchor for use when there are no trees around?

With a truck that size with a camper I would go with a 17500 lb winch. I had a SmittyBuilt 9500 lb winch on my jeep and it was getting close to its max pulling jeeps and Tacomas out on 4x4 trails, especially if you need to winch up hill. One thing I have learned wheeling by myself is I rarely need to get winched forward, normally I find my self needing to go backwards.

My 2 cents is get out and use it first. That way you can figure out what you want/need.

We’ll be going to AK and the northern Canadian Provinces in 2020 so maybe we’ll see you on the road!

I have the Ford equivalent and what I’ve done is upgraded the shocks to the Bilstien 5100 with 2” leveling springs on the front. I’m not going to get a winch for this truck.

I’ve also put a Helwig rear sway bar and some Air bags on the rear to level the truck.
I also upgraded the tires to 35” Toyos and have been very happy with them so far.
The last major thing I added was Amp Research power retractable steps. Love them.
https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/amp-powerstep-running-boards-plug-and-play-kit-black-76154-01a/_/R-BGQD-76154-01A

I'll just say I love my remote reservoir shocks on my Tundra. I run ADS Racing and they were tuned for my truck and camper, but regardless they are miles better than a stock shock at soaking up the bumps without giving up on long journeys. If traveling 1500+km of the Dempster Hwy round trip isn't what a good shock is made for, then I'm not sure what they are.

I also put a winch and bumper on my Tundra, haven't had to use them pull myself out yet, but have helped recover others and as we travel solo a whole lot, I thought it was good insurance policy to have. I'm sure you will, but I'd always recommend a good E-rated AT tire, with a matching spare (and means to jack up your truck)

Don’t know squat about big trucks (that’s why I’ve been lurking here for months) esp. Chevvies (I’m researching Superduties for my upcoming FWC), but I’ve spent 30 years doing off road, the last 10 in an overland built Tacoma, that’s just finally too small and uncomfortable. I have recovered some big trucks though!

My truck was moderately, slightly over- built to be capable, but not exceed GVWR, and maintain some sort of MPG. Only mildly lifted, I the one up tire size (32s). So, not super high, though 10” clearance.

In those 10 years with several good stucks all over the west, I’ve never used the winch, though I have loved the winch bumper approach angle. The rear offroad bumper with hitch delete was critical too. What has been invaluable was the locker and traction mats along with aggressive tires. Suspension is personal taste for comfort, weight, and to gain body/tire clearance and articulation to avoid stucks.

IMO, 1st great tires adapted to the terrain you're on most, AND will lift the diffs and frame sufficiently. Every full size truck I’ve seen seriously stuck was hung on the frame somehow. Lose the hitch too if you’re not towing.
2nd MaxTraxs (the “pro” version with metal teeth for big trucks) probably 4 of em. If you want to crawl some rocks or super sketchy stuff vs mud, snow or sand, I’d think of 2 MaxTrax and two bridging ladders. Much quicker and easier than winching for most situations.
3rd- if your truck doesn’t have a locker, get one put in. Cheaper than a winch bumper and winch and far more useful along WITH numbers 1 and 2 above.
Oh, a good jack and shovel too, of course. (#4). You pretty much can’t winch yourself out of some deeply stuck situations. Think sliding off a dusty/wet rock onto a deep hole or rocky frame grabbing situation. Been there done that several times. You either can’t winch out or can’t without severe damage. HiLift jack with stacked rocks/MaxTrax/bridging ladders will get you out.

The bonus is less weight and better MPG. YMMV, of course. If you don’t have or have much offroad experience, especially self recovery take a good course, or get some Bill Burke DVDs.

If money is no object, or the expected terrain is really boggy throw everything on it and go nearly anywhere limited mainly by length and body damage tolerance, but no matter what, you will suffer off road without #s 1,2,3&4 above. Good luck!

Sounds like DavidinPhx knows his stuff.

Traction is key, and that's had by appropriate tires, lsd/lockers, then self-recovery mats/ladders. A good jack and the knowledge of how to use it is also invaluable, as is a shovel.

Springs are for ride height, weight carrying. Shocks are for rebound/damping, ride quality.

I see a lot of built trucks that aren't built effectively. Just the other day I saw a short wheelbase Jeep with tall, long travel suspension, coil overs, LED lights everywhere, with a roof rack and tent. Short wheel base with Baja-ready race suspension with a high center of gravity. I wondered how the Jeep was used, but it was so clean that I couldn't tell if it'd ever been off road.

A contractor for us has something similar but with heavy bumpers/winch/tire carrier. He put $15k into the Jeep in aftermarket modifications, mostly heavy "armor". He said he'd always wanted a Jeep but he didn't want to take it off road because it might get damaged. He was really proud of all of the stuff he put on it, rocker protection, a cage over most of the body, and all of it bright green.

I'd rather have the smallest lift it takes to fit the largest tire I need for ground clearance, with gearing and lsd/lockers, and low weight. But, of course, to each their own.

Don't forget the snorkel....gotta have a snorkel.....and an adventure hat.

Happy New Year all.

David Graves

Back
Top Bottom