2020 Grandby

Rhust

Advanced Member
Hello,

First post here.

I just ordered a 2020 Grandby front dinette pretty loaded with options (1750 lbs dry weight). I have a 2018 F350 platinum long bed single rear wheel 4 x 4 crew cab with the snow plow package (stiffer front springs). I have a couple questions I hope everyone can help with.

1. Will I need to do anything to the rear suspension? I know the weight is well under the capacity of the truck, but will it squat in the back with the camper on it?

2. How do you haul your generator, camp chairs etc? I was thinking about a pack mule cargo hauler basket that would mount to the hitch.

3. Any tips or tricks for a first time truck camper owner?

Thanks in advance.

Rhust said:
Hello,

First post here.

I just ordered a 2020 Grandby front dinette pretty loaded with options (1750 lbs dry weight). I have a 2018 F350 platinum long bed single rear wheel 4 x 4 crew cab with the snow plow package (stiffer front springs). I have a couple questions I hope everyone can help with.

1. Will I need to do anything to the rear suspension? I know the weight is well under the capacity of the truck, but will it squat in the back with the camper on it?

2. How do you haul your generator, camp chairs etc? I was thinking about a pack mule cargo hauler basket that would mount to the hitch.

Thanks in advance.
We have a 2014 Grandby on a 2013 F-250 crew, longbed with tow package. We have a loaded camper and the truck is level. We have a Trekmate off road trailer and have mounted a generator box with Honda 2200 generator. Small off road trailer with Timbin suspension carries all our gear.

I did that some years ago with a F250 Supercab and a Grandby. It already had airbags, so no other mods were needed. I would be very cautious with a hitch basket if you don’t have a backup camera. Telling on myself, I backed into a small low slung car and ruined the basket and seriously dinged the car. I would go for the trailer like JD has if doing that again.

I ordered a backup camera, but a trailer is a great idea. I thought about a small enclosed, but want to be able to go somewhat off-road. Maybe a small off-road utility trailer would be the ticket.

Rhust said:
Hello,

First post here.

Thanks in advance.
Hello Rhust
Welcome to WtW.
#1 wait till you use your set up, you have a big cargo capacity. Don't know if it's gunna squat, you will soon see.

#2 Don't haul a gen. Have not needed one. May I ask what your using one for. Chairs and camp stuff some in cab, some on floor of camper. I have read here that some have added baskets, swing away'. Seen more than one comment about opening the carrier to enter the trailer all the time getting old. We like being able to get in and out easily and see that as a plus. We do have a custom cargo carrier that has an open center, which acts as a platform. Have only used it a few times, it sets off the back up sensors minor issue.

#3 Read this here. Take it easy and use the camper for a while, which will really narrow down the direction on your needs!

My wife thinks we need to take more than I want to take, I always am looking to take less. Make a list of everything you put in the camper, keep it use, read it refine it add to it. Don't go camping with out the pillows n blankets, you can guess how I know. Y'all are gunna love your camper.

Russ

Rhust said:
I ordered a backup camera, but a trailer is a great idea. I thought about a small enclosed, but want to be able to go somewhat off-road. Maybe a small off-road utility trailer would be the ticket.

Look at the adventure trailers. Ruger is an example.

Anyone have pictures of their setup with trailer in tow that they want to share?

Thanks again.

Welcome Rhust. Congrats on your forthcoming Granby.

#1. I wouldn't expect your rear suspension will need any mods Yes, laden, the rear springs will deflect some - that has been anticipated by the mfr. but your load should be well within the design spec. Of course some folks won't tolerate loss of height or a negative rake but I would wait and see. For eg you may find the front springs stiffer than you'd like and op to down grade a them a step, which could lower the front ~ 1/2 ", mitigating the laden posture.

#2. Usually, if one doesn't need the seats for people or animals, the rear cab space is used for storage. And your CC can hold a lot of stuff (this you'll know), more with the seats removed. The tricky item will be the genny. Is it possible to carry one inside ? I've read the Hondas are quite fume tight. Perhaps a (folding front) basket or similar could be utilised when it is operating.

#3. I'm with Russ (post #5), relax and enjoy. You'll have a great rig with no worries. Use it and you'll soon know what works best. It's easy to read these forums and amp up the desire to mod and acquire stuff. As a guy with a shed full of camper stuff I say, go slow, there's plenty of time.

Finally, our truck is as long as a CC/LB. And although it works for us it is long, esp out in the woods. I've mulled having a small trailer - for more stuff like a car topper and side x side - but have held off because it would involve more "stuff" and I believe the negative impact of driving with it off highway would be too great for us at this time.

We are all a bit different in how much time we have, where we go, what we want, expectations, ability to buy and sell stuff, etc. As always, know thyself. Only then you can make your set up work best for you.

Enjoy the ride !

CougarCouple said:
#2 Don't haul a gen. Have not needed one. May I ask what your using one for. Chairs and camp stuff some in cab, some on floor of camper. I have read here that some have added baskets, swing away'. Seen more than one comment about opening the carrier to enter the trailer all the time getting old. We like being able to get in and out easily and see that as a plus. We do have a custom cargo carrier that has an open center, which acts as a platform. Have only used it a few times, it sets off the back up sensors minor issue.
At least try a trip or two without a gen. We have solar and 2x 6v batteries, usually our monitor still shows all four lights after 2 days of camping. We haven't stayed in one place for more than 3 days, but I don't think we would have any trouble until after 5 days or longer.

As for other items, we have a folded animal pen, two chairs, large camp table, small camp table, large plastic box (contains diy shower curtain and other shower items, towels), propane firepit, large rolled up patio mat, Everest two burner stove, bag of leveling blocks, and a large crate for shoes/dirty items. All of these items are stowed on the floor of the camper during travel, and there is still room for one of us to get inside and put groceries in the fridge during travel. We have hitch mounted steps, so that is one less item that we have to stow in the camper. Stowed on the seating, we usually have 2-3 luggage bags and several other bags of items. I put the two mattress extensions on the counter, along with three pillows (the mattresses will slide off the camper while driving if the pillows aren't on top of them.

camper and truck.jpg

Travel a lot with both the trailer and without, depends on your needs/wants.
Mexico for a month, yes
Alaska maybe
3 or 4 days most likely no.
Photo for giggles

Here's one from our latest trip- the first with the trailer. We had to carry a bunch of tools for a 2-week working vacation. Trailer carried the tools and our camping gear for over 2000 miles. Camped at Rocky Mountain National Park, the Nebraska National Forest and other spots. Worked well. Having said that, the trailer did present occasional challenges in turning around in tight spots and parking in congested areas. I would probably not take it just to carry our normal gear, which fits in the camper and the truck without a problem.

IMG_6440.jpg

Back
Top Bottom