2nd Generation Tundra CrewMax with camper?

Here you go.

Hawk Model.

Four Wheel Pop-up Camper.

:)

----------------------------------------------------------

Anybody have a pic of a 2nd generation tundra crewmax with a camper?

Attachments

• Tundra CrewMax with Hawk #1.JPG
    Tundra CrewMax with Hawk #1.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,347
  • Tundra CrewMax with Hawk #2.JPG
    Tundra CrewMax with Hawk #2.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,115
  • Tundra CrewMax with Hawk #3.JPG
    Tundra CrewMax with Hawk #3.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,145
  • Tundra CrewMax with Hawk #4.JPG
    Tundra CrewMax with Hawk #4.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,251
  • Tundra CrewMax with Hawk #5.JPG
    Tundra CrewMax with Hawk #5.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 2,127
Thanks stan,

Would a finch or eagle fit with a platform underneath?

Anybody else?

Thanks stan,

Anybody else?

At some point I saw a photo of a Tundra and Finch. Not sure how much of a platform would be needed.

Yes, in theory.

Platform needed under the camper.

Camper jack extensions needed.

It would look something like this ...

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3934/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks stan,

Anybody else?

Yes, in theory.

Platform needed under the camper.

Camper jack extensions needed.

It would look something like this ...

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3934/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WIW that looks like a better fit to me for some reason.

Stan or Jason, do you know if the above crewmax had any rear suspension mods done at the time of those pictures.

Nope

The White CrewMax in the pictures had the stock suspension at the time of the photos.

But it DID need a rear suspension upgrade.

And the camper that is on it in those pictures, is just the "Empty Hawk Shell".

If you get a normal Hawk Model with more options, you will need a rear suspension upgrade for sure.

Hope this helps.

Have a fun & safe 4th of July !

:)

Stan or Jason, do you know if the above crewmax had any rear suspension mods done at the time of those pictures.

Is it just me or does the idea of having the camper hanging out really go against the low and forward weight distribution theory? Especially on a loaded camper...you would be way over weight and then in a bad location to boot. :oops:

2wiresDave,

You are correct and Stan kind of mentions that earlier in this thread when he states that you will need a rear suspension upgrade. He also mentions that the photos shown are of a shell model camper. So, yes, a fully loaded camper hanging that far out past the rear axle does not seem like a good idea.

5444, seeing as you have a rig set up like this, how has it worked out for you? Have you made any suspension mods? Your response is not helpful without any explanation of why you disagree. And the name calling is completely unnecessary.

Here's one with a fully optioned (heavy) Hawk. The truck had ARB/Old Man Emu suspension, but still needed air bags, which were added later. With this photo angle it doesn't look bad, but in person it clearly needed more spring rate in the rear. Solved that with a bolt-on Air Lift kit. I don't like a low or sagging rear.

James

Attachments

• IMG_2745 - Version 2.JPG
    IMG_2745 - Version 2.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 1,753
Is it just me or does the idea of having the camper hanging out really go against the low and forward weight distribution theory? Especially on a loaded camper...you would be way over weight and then in a bad location to boot. :oops:

Valid points and questions, let me share some of my current thinking on this subject for those considering such a set-up.

Exact data is likely hard (impossible?) to find, comparing equivalent campers on the same truck (FWC Hawk & Raven) and I've thought similarly about the rear overhang on a Hawk FWC on a super-short bed pickup. The best truck for a camper is surely a regular cab with a long bed (8ft), which offers the shortest overall length/wheelbase for a given platform, more pickup bed forward of the rear axle, more length for a longer camper, etc. Though most of us seem to want, need, and/or enjoy at least an extended cab truck for the features and versatility they offer, and crew-cab trucks make lots of sense for people with families who need the extra cabin space more often than they need a long bed pickup. We are also restricted to buying new trucks in the configurations they're offered by the manufacturers. I'd love if the Tundra CrewMax was offered with a 6.5-ft. bed like the Tundra Double Cab, but Toyota doesn't offer such a configuration and there would be a downside, a longer wheelbase. But back to the issue of weight distribution and overhang...

I think most will concede it's not ideal, to have a camper hanging off the rear of a truck several inches, either just for aesthetics, or possibly for weight distribution. Though like other chassis choices mentioned above, neither are heavy bumpers and winches that might be desirable for remote travel, nor a big engine that uses lots of fuel, yet handles loads well. We all make choices, most of which involve compromise.

Overloaded? That's a loaded question, however the overall chassis set-up, driver skill, and how the vehicle is actually piloted have much to do with what I'd consider overloaded or not. Experience and knowledge do matter, and even if a vehicle is set-up in such a fashion that the outfit is under GVWR and GAWRs, doesn't mean just anyone should be driving a certain combination. But we all have a hard time accepting that we don't know (me included), particularly when it comes to driving, which most have been doing since our teens, so few seek professional training.

While at first glance it might seem like a poor idea to have camper hanging off the rear, but is it worse than a heavy rear bumper with a spare tire and fuel? It might be that a Hawk out the rear an extra 10 inches is better than a Raven with junk behind it (something I'm actively considering). Then there are other, worse handling set-ups like much heavier campers, with wider and/or longer overhangs, and big trailers with huge tongue loads. All choices have compromises, and your mileage and experiences will vary :)
Me, I'm not at all uncomfortable with my (heavy) Hawk on my well-prepped Tundra.

$0.03

Good perspective Redline, more pics please. Do you store anything special in your roof rack cage and what trails have you had your rig on?

I would also be interested in some more info on your camper. Curious about the roof rack....

Hey guys. I do plan to tell the rest of the story about this camper on my blog, though it will include an introductory story about my purchase and use of two off-highway trailers, their departure, then my jointing the FWC world. I think you will enjoy the whole thing :) A few thousand words I'm sure by the time I get to the FWC stuff (with lots of pics). The good news is that I'm thinking about starting that page/section soon...

The roof rack was on the Hawk when I purchased it, but has since been removed. I have no need or desire for a roof rack.

James

Back
Top Bottom