2nd Spare Tire

Brad's Dad

Advanced Member
I have a 2005 Hawk on a 2006 Tundra double cab.

Am evaluating doing the Dalton Highway In AK this summer and am wondering:

Has anyone found a good place to mount a 2nd spare tire, either on the camper or somewhere else on a double cab (with the camper on)? Have load range E tires and they are heavier than stock tires.

I didn't measure but eyeballed the idea of piggybacking both spares under the bed in the spare storage area but that looks like a bad idea cuz of ground clearance.

Any help or experiences would be appreciated!

Fred

I think you're worrying too much about the need for a second spare. A couple years ago, I did the Dempster to Inuvik and back, the Campbell hy, the Top of the world hy, the Dalton and just about all the other roads in AK. Traveled over 11,000 miles, 1,200 miles of it dirt and gravel roads and
suffered one flat tire. In that area you need to be more careful about rocks being thrown into your windshield and headlights by passing vehicles and
frost heaves in the roadway. I witnessed a couple motothomes get airborne and ruin suspension components on frost heaves. I had on-board air, a tire plug/repair kit and never had to use either. Have 5 GOOD tires and I'm sure you'll be just fine.

I have a TireGate HG for my second spare and two 6 gallon cans of either fuel and/or water. Fully loaded it's a lot of weight and possible too much for a Tundra with a camper. Just the TireGate with a tire and no water is likely fine, but still pretty heavy.

I've been all over on hunting trips and have always feared multiple flats on a trip, but it never happens. In fact I've never had a flat on a hunting trip other than my trailer. I think I'm going to ditch the second spare and get a really nice plug kit (i.e. ARB sells one) for repairing flats. I already have a 40 cu ft scuba tank that I take with me so I'll have the air available.

I might be tempted to sell my TireGate, but I'm not sure yet.

I agree with K609 - in 2010, we did almost exactly the same trip as he describes and had similar experiences. We are going again this summer (maybe we'll see you on the Dalton) and I am not bringing a sixth tire. My "insurance package" includes five E rated tires, a compressor (mine is portable not on board), a good tire patch kit, and a good jack. Could I end up sorry that I did not take a sixth tire, sure . . . . but I am willing to take what I consider to be a calculated risk and forgo the additional weight and space required to take another tire/wheel assembly. That being said, if you are traveling on the Dalton Hwy this summer and see a short overweight old man and his wife with a silver Tacoma/ATC Bobcat rig sitting on the side of the road, please stop and help me!

Missing Link said:
I agree with K609 - in 2010, we did almost exactly the same trip as he describes and had similar experiences. We are going again this summer (maybe we'll see you on the Dalton) and I am not bringing a sixth tire. My "insurance package" includes five E rated tires, a compressor (mine is portable not on board), a good tire patch kit, and a good jack. Could I end up sorry that I did not take a sixth tire, sure . . . . but I am willing to take what I consider to be a calculated risk and forgo the additional weight and space required to take another tire/wheel assembly. That being said, if you are traveling on the Dalton Hwy this summer and see a short overweight old man and his wife with a silver Tacoma/ATC Bobcat rig sitting on the side of the road, please stop and help me!
x2 I carry a full size spare, tire patch kit, Viair 450P compressor, bottle jack, & Hi-Lift and ride on E rated tires.

I've gotten double flats (two flats in a short time -- or simultaneously) while running E-range tires at least twice. (This happened back in my Toyota Tacoma days, not recently.) So, I'll never assume that it can't happen to me, since it has.

As I said in that 2010 thread linked above, I now carry a patch/plug kit and compressor, rather than the second spare that I carried for years.
I'd never travel in the backcountry or remote area without some kind of back-up to the primary spare.

MarkBC said:
I've gotten double flats (two flats in a short time -- or simultaneously) while running E-range tires at least twice. (This happened back in my Toyota Tacoma days, not recently.) So, I'll never assume that it can't happen to me, since it has.

As I said in that 2010 thread linked above, I now carry a patch/plug kit and compressor, rather than the second spare that I carried for years.
I'd never travel in the backcountry or remote area without some kind of back-up to the primary spare.
Me too-I keep looking at the hitchgate tire stuff, boy if I could afford it and had an F250 instead of my F150, I'd think about it. Untill that happens, just the regular spare and a tire patch kit and compresser-and hope for the best and drive safe!

Smoke

Oh, he meant a spare truck tire. thought it was the other spare tire I am carrying.....

lol! I've driven the Dalton many times, years ago people often carried 2 spares, but not nowadays. Road is much improved and better maintained. I'll haul extra fuel before I'll haul a 2nd spare. Besides, you'll need the money to replace your windshield when you get back! :)

I drove it three years ago. I didn't have a FWC then and drove a Ford Sport-Trac 4X4 and pulled my jet boat to the Yukon River and put it in just to say I jetted the Yukon. Left it there at the truck stop, drove on and picked it up on the way back. Didn't have one flat and didn't carry a second extra spare. If memory serves, the longest stretch for fuel is about 250mi from Coldfoot to Deadhorse. Fuel was also way more expensive, so anything you bring with saves money. Oddly enough, I was told that it was Canadian fuel? AK Nomad is right on about windshields. My theory is that it is my speed that causes the problem, not the on-coming truck kicking up the rock. Most of the way I slowed down for on-coming and didn't have a problem. Then I got lazy and sure enough, bamm! The road for the most part is good and there are some folks that drive it in passenger cars. Have fun. It's a good trip. I am thinking about the Dempster....

Well, these have all been great and very helpful replies!

I am leaning towards a patch and pump setup also. Time constraints before I have to leave, much less weight and cost are the main factors. I may wish I'd done it differently in the end but others experience (particularly on the Dalton) are invaluable here in helping me with my decision.

Thanks everyone, this is a great group!!

Fred

I would recomend a patch with a GOOD compressor. I used to be very skeptical of the patch kits and only thought about them as a temporary fix. Then I started working at a place with lots of gravel roads/parking lots. My work vehicle has at least 9 different plugs in its tires (and that is just the plugs I have put in). The mechanics up here fix about a flat a day when we are in full operation. After seeing the long term use and abuse of tires with plugs I have become a big fan. BUT you need a good compressor or big tank of air.

If I were really worried about it I'd carry some baby powder, an inner tube, and the tools to install it.

Back
Top Bottom