3-way fridge vs Engel (compressor) fridge

thewwkayaker

Advanced Member
I own an Engel fridge which for over 10 years has been amazing when car camping - draws very little power - I believe around 2 amp hours max in high heat.

I just bought (still unseen) an Eagle FWC which has a 3-way fridge. Just curious if I should replace the 3-way with the Engel. Camping style is drive to a place of play (ski touring, mountain biking, hiking), play, camp for the night, move to new place to play. So battery draw down hasn't been an issue.

Some of you have a compressor fridge, others 3-way. Maybe you've had both. Preference?

Pick up the camper and use it a couple times and see if you like the 3 way. Then you can decide and you can see where to put the Engel.

Congrats on scoring a pre-owned FWC. I have a 3 way and the main limitation is that I do not run it while driving. I do not travel with the propane on, and when using DC it draws more power than my alternator can replenish. Thus, if you are going to be driving long distances in hot weather, be prepared to put some frozen bottles of water in the fridge to keep it cold while driving. And if you are going to camp where it is really hot you'll likely have to add an exterior fan to help reduce the heat in the back of the fridge.

As Patrick said, give it a try and see if you like it.

I have both an Engel (40L chest) and 3 way refrigerator. I prefer the Engel, but because of fit, I usually use the 3 way in the Bobcat. It works fine, but is not as effective in hot weather. On the road, I use the DC mode. As soon as I stop for more than 15 minutes, I switch to gas.

Your Eagle will be as tight as my Bobcat, so as Patrick and Karlton said... give the 3 way a try. Another option would be to put the Engel in the cab, assuming it fits and you have power for it.

You can always put the Engel on a slider. IMG_2288.JPG

I replaced my 2 way with my ARB fridge and don’t regret it one minute. I know it’s not exactly the same as your situation but I prefer having the digital read out of the chest compressor type fridges and the way they sip power. I ended up putting the counter above the fridge on stay open hinges and it is perfect.

Back
Top Bottom