46 gallon Tundra tank

ottorogers

Anybody have anything to say about the Transfer Flow 46 gallon tank for Tundra? I ordered from VSS Valley spring in Phoenix, I was quoted $1500 installed (total), the manufacturer in Chico wanted $1700 total, and I’m in Arizona anyway. Anything I need to know???

CougarCouple said:
Merry Christmas ottorogers
This guy posted up his build link in a post he made, in the thread "FWC swift ordered now to prep the truck".

http://www.motobasedadventures.com/tundra-build.html

Hope it helps. You mentioned transferflo. This guys was single 46, that's a lot of weight on one side. Are you splitting it and putting it on the other side?

Russ
no splitting, it’s one big tank on one side, no choice, only only manufacturer makes a big tank for tundra

ski3pin said:
46 gallons of gasoline weighs 290 pounds.
I know 46 gallons weighs 290 pounds, the 120 pounds I was mentioning is the extra weight going from 26 gallons to 46 gallons, I am assuming 26 gallons included in the weight of the truck already

CougarCouple said:
Merry Christmas ottorogers
This guy posted up his build link in a post he made, in the thread "FWC swift ordered now to prep the truck".

http://www.motobasedadventures.com/tundra-build.html

Hope it helps. You mentioned transferflo. This guys was single 46, that's a lot of weight on one side. Are you splitting it and putting it on the other side?

Russ
it is a lot of weight on one side for sure, but 2 extra leaf springs should mitigate that easily, I can fine tune with my air bags if needed, once I separate the lines so 1 line goes to each airbag separately

The OEM tank weighs 29lbs and I've read that the Transfer Flow tank is 150 lbs, so now your up to 270 lbs of extra weight. I'd also be concerned about how accurate the fuel gage will be. My '14 tundra tank holds 26 gals plus I carry an extra 10 gals when I think refueling will be an issue. That gives me a range of around 430 miles and I've never come close to running out of gas. I just did a trip to Paria Canyon/ Escalante that included over 150 miles off road and fuel was never an issue with proper fuel management. I did have to dump the extra gas in the tank on the way home to burn the 87 octane up.
I'd say if you think you need the 46 gallon tank then go for it!! Only you know how you'll be using your rig and how you want to set it up!

Ronin said:
The OEM tank weighs 29lbs and I've read that the Transfer Flow tank is 150 lbs, so now your up to 270 lbs of extra weight. I'd also be concerned about how accurate the fuel gage will be. My '14 tundra tank holds 26 gals plus I carry an extra 10 gals when I think refueling will be an issue. That gives me a range of around 430 miles and I've never come close to running out of gas. I just did a trip to Paria Canyon/ Escalante that included over 150 miles off road and fuel was never an issue with proper fuel management. I did have to dump the extra gas in the tank on the way home to burn the 87 octane up.
I'd say if you think you need the 46 gallon tank then go for it!! Only you know how you'll be using your rig and how you want to set it up!
Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it. The transfer flow tank is not 150 pounds, it is an extra 150 pounds because of the extra fuel, the tank Itself weighs marginally more than than the OEM tank empty. My reason for getting the bigger tank is I’m tired of looking for gas stations all the time, I want to be able to drive six or seven hours without having to worry about stopping or looking for a gas station, going off road is a side issue, if I ever do go on a long trip off road where there is no gas stations, the bigger tank will be a huge bonus, I’m not going to carry 5 gallon Jerry cans with me, that’s far too dangerous

From numerous websites (they could be wrong?) the TF tank weight itself is purported to be roughly ~150 to 160 lbs. The additional 20 gal of fuel weight at 6 lbs/gal is roughly ~120 lbs.
Rico

Otto, I agree that your total 'extra' weight should be ~ 150 lbs. If that's a reasonable add-on of weight for the value of the extra fuel to you, then go for it.
Rico

Having the capacity doesn't mean you have to fill it up always but it's there when you need it.
I have a tuner on my Cummins that provides me greatly enhanced performance but I use it sparingly.
Again it's there when you need it.
As you say everything's a tradeoff. Enjoy your new range.

ottorogers said:
Anything I need to know???
Show up with a near empty tank ?

FWIW. re: wt. From the mfrs Dec 08 product "weight list" included with the 34gal aux tank that I purchased, it is listed at 394#s less say 240# for diesel leaving ~154# for the 34g tank itself. Another example, the Ford PU 47g diesel replacement tank is listed at 269#s. I think OEM was 30.5g so say 117#s additional diesel, 152#s additional tank wt (over the OEM plastic tank. w/o optional skid plate?)

The additional wt will be carried between the frame rails (I would hope) so I wouldn't be too concerned about wt location.

Sounds like you'll love the extra range. With my aux I can drive from my place to yours without refueling. Which is great 'cause I've found SK to be the cheapest place for diesel !

klahanie said:
Show up with a near empty tank ?

FWIW. re: wt. From the mfrs Dec 08 product "weight list" included with the 34gal aux tank that I purchased, it is listed at 394#s less say 240# for diesel leaving ~154# for the 34g tank itself. Another example, the Ford PU 47g diesel replacement tank is listed at 269#s. I think OEM was 30.5g so say 117#s additional diesel, 152#s additional tank wt (over the OEM plastic tank. w/o optional skid plate?)

The additional wt will be carried between the frame rails (I would hope) so I wouldn't be too concerned about wt location.

Sounds like you'll love the extra range. With my aux I can drive from my place to yours without refueling. Which is great 'cause I've found SK to be the cheapest place for diesel !
extra fuel will be wonderful for sure

I have a 56 gal Transfer Flow tank in my truck. It is a well made product and the extra range is great. The only downside is that I lost a couple of inches of ground clearance.

camelracer said:
I have a 56 gal Transfer Flow tank in my truck. It is a well made product and the extra range is great. The only downside is that I lost a couple of inches of ground clearance.
a replacement for your main tank, or an extra tank in the back of your truck?

camelracer said:
That's the thing that bothers me the most. They hang down farther on the Tundras also.

Ive had this in my truck (2014 Tundra DC 4x4) almost 2 years now.

Ill try to list all the pros and cons.

My truck isn't my daily driver, if im driving it, chances are im offroad, or heading offroad.

Pros:
-Doubled my range, ive maxed it out at 523 miles on one fill
-Super easy install, all bolts up easily to stock stuff in stock location
-It WILL pass CA smog (its listed as wont sell to CA, ive talked at length with them about this, and its basically cost prohibitive for them to get all the crazy certs needed to sell it as CA legal, all the stock stuff connects and bolts up like the OEM tank)
-The bed liner option has taken a hell of a beating and still looks great

Cons:
-Lost about 2" of ground clearance on left side, ive learned to compensate for this with my line choice offroad
-Uses stock mounting (more on that later)
-No skidplate available.

Now..... my big warning about this tank... take a close look at how the stock tank mounts. The straps connect to the little legs of the frame with pretty light duty nutserts. Your almost tripling the weight youre asking those nutserts to hold up.

A few months after I got it, I hit a rock with it (full) in Borrego. Friend started screaming on the radio. Entire tank was basically ripped off the truck. Used some heavy duty ratchet straps to get it back into place and limped home.

I brought it to a fabricator/mechanic friend that was in awe about how light duty the stock mounting was for the weight.

He made some super heavy duty metal straps for it and replaced the nutserts with some much much beefier hardware.

Have bashed it on many rocks since, and no issues at all.

For those wondering about the extra weight, I am running Old Man Emu 2.5" lift with an add a leaf and haven't noticed the weight AT ALL.

For me, the range is MUCH more important than the ground clearance, so its a no brainer and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

But be warned, the stock mounting setup is VERY weak, so if you plan offroading, have a friend beef it up.

My .02

Any questions, lemme know

Check my link below for my build for detailed pics

Kevin

So Cal Adventurer said:
Ive had this in my truck (2014 Tundra DC 4x4) almost 2 years now.

Ill try to list all the pros and cons.

My truck isn't my daily driver, if im driving it, chances are im offroad, or heading offroad.

Pros:
-Doubled my range, ive maxed it out at 523 miles on one fill
-Super easy install, all bolts up easily to stock stuff in stock location
-It WILL pass CA smog (its listed as wont sell to CA, ive talked at length with them about this, and its basically cost prohibitive for them to get all the crazy certs needed to sell it as CA legal, all the stock stuff connects and bolts up like the OEM tank)
-The bed liner option has taken a hell of a beating and still looks great

Cons:
-Lost about 2" of ground clearance on left side, ive learned to compensate for this with my line choice offroad
-Uses stock mounting (more on that later)
-No skidplate available.

Now..... my big warning about this tank... take a close look at how the stock tank mounts. The straps connect to the little legs of the frame with pretty light duty nutserts. Your almost tripling the weight youre asking those nutserts to hold up.

A few months after I got it, I hit a rock with it (full) in Borrego. Friend started screaming on the radio. Entire tank was basically ripped off the truck. Used some heavy duty ratchet straps to get it back into place and limped home.

I brought it to a fabricator/mechanic friend that was in awe about how light duty the stock mounting was for the weight.

He made some super heavy duty metal straps for it and replaced the nutserts with some much much beefier hardware.

Have bashed it on many rocks since, and no issues at all.

For those wondering about the extra weight, I am running Old Man Emu 2.5" lift with an add a leaf and haven't noticed the weight AT ALL.

For me, the range is MUCH more important than the ground clearance, so its a no brainer and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

But be warned, the stock mounting setup is VERY weak, so if you plan offroading, have a friend beef it up.

My .02

Any questions, lemme know

Check my link below for my build for detailed pics

Kevin
Thanks a lot Kevin, very good feedback, I was wondering about the straps, and I’m also wondering about the skid plate, I’m sure a person could have a skid plate made up?

Back
Top Bottom