4wheel vs All Terrain Camper

bsharp007

OK
I have a 2005 Toyota Tacoma 6.5' bed. I'm looking at either the FWC Eagle or an ATC Bobcat. The 4Wheel person (not Stan) basically tells me that ATC is building the camper that FWC was making 4-5 yrs ago. Is this true? I like the idea of a good deal (read ATC) but I also want the best quality for my money? I am going to order one of these campers in the next few weeks, which one and why??
Thanks for any informed input.

Its personal choice. Talk to both get a price and decide based on whats importnat to you. Everyone here has high praise for both.

The 4Wheel person (not Stan)

If you choose FWC, may I suggest working with Stan. My experience w/ another sales guy spoiled FWC for me.

Ben at ATC will work very hard to ensure you get the camper that suits you, regardless if he makes a sale or not. I suggest you call him regardless. He's quite a character and will--I think--give you an honest run down of the differences.

The FWC has 2 cool things: the folding bed and windows that open from the inside. The ATC is a bit (4 inches) roomier. The FWC has cabinet doors, the ATC sliders. The ATC can be had for a bit less, maybe, but the FWC is a bit nicer aesthetically... If you need some limited custom work, ATC is more flexible.

Either is a great choice!

Its personal choice. Talk to both get a price and decide based on whats importnat to you. Everyone here has high praise for both.

Second that....

FWC has the canvas without the outside roll down storm windows. Less work to see out when you want.

Ditto:thumb:

Marc

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to visit both places next and get a better look.
As stated here Ben was very helpful and informative, patiently answering all my dumb questions. FWC took more of a sales person approach, but that's understandable.
Thanks again.

Will:thumb:

I would agree completely that ATC is building the campers FWC was making several years ago. Since Ben & co used to own FWC they simply started ATC where they left of with FWC (make sense) This does not mean ATC is bad it just means FWC has had more time to try different suppliers & materials, configurations etc. One small example is the PVC propane box FWC is using (very clean) while ATC still uses the sheet metal box. Not a huge deal but for those that appreciate the little things it makes a difference. Small differences like this can be found throughout the camper and it's not something you may notice until you actually own one and have time to really get a good look at things.

On the other hand ATC will bend over backwards for you, they will custom make just about anything you want & Ben is always available to answer questions. Personalized customer service is ATC's strong point.

Like the others have said you can't go wrong with either one, but I am a guy who appreciates the fine details so I own a FWC.

I haven't dealt with Ben @ ATC but I will say that I am impressed with the way BOTH stan and ben conduct themselves here...competitors with similar products noting the differences and finding special niche customers... competition such as this is definitely a good thing for all of us. It keeps them on their toes and helps further innovation, IMO.

I have dealt with FWC...both with stan & sean @ Go Anywhere...and I will say that they have been nothing but helpful when I've made my MANY stupid customer calls.

In fact, I got the Hawk out this weekend for it's maiden voyage. Of course I waited til the last day to get everything in order...specifically the propane system.... and just before leaving for the weekend I unplugged the 120v and *tried* to light the propane on the fridge.

Thought I was gonna break that red button... got a bit flustered...waited... tried again...and again...and again.....and again. Nothing. I figured it was air in the lines but the book talks of blowing yerself up with gas collecting and that kinda freaked me out to keep holding the button down. (I had the fan on..but still..sitting it there alone and not being able to see/smell what's going on outside....I had those "visions"...LOL)

so I called stan....just as I was finishing up PACKING THE COOLER and thinking..$1000 bucks for that? LOL.

He gave me great advice...told me how to go about it/made me feel secure that I wasn't gonna screw something up on the first go. (you new owners must know the paranoia I'm speaking of as I had it all weekend..."did I remember to _______?")

And now as I log on here I see an extended message from him shortly after I called....detailing it all in writing...and telling me to let him know if it worked OK/if something further needed to be done/if I needed anymore help...etc.

Stan..IT WORKED. THANK YOU for the friendly advice and for goin' over wht you must have already gone over with others a zillion times....

my thought is this on the FWC *vs* ATC

When two people walk into the same conversation and then walk away and speak about it later it is inevitable that each will glean certain things from that *same* conversation and form an opinion...often times a completely opposit opinion.

I do not intend to diminish anyone's experiences in buying one of these units..it was a true bitch and something I was unprepared for @ the onset. However, I did want to make it clear that my experience has been excellent with everyone involved @ FWC in the procurement of my Hawk (Ok, 'cept goin' to the bank :eek: ) and all of my dumb customer questions (so far) have been answered fully/etc.

happy trails, all...

mtn

P.S. Saw an Eagle on a Red Tacoma (I believe) @ the cabins (??) near the junction of HWY24/Hwy 82 near Twin Lakes, CO...pretty new one too.... anybody here in the area this week?

Storm windows...?

The FWC has 2 cool things: the folding bed and windows that open from the inside.

You know, I'm not certain that FWC's lack of external storm windows is actually a good thing. If there's no inclement weather, you can roll your ATC (or older FWC) storm windows up on the outside and simply manage with the inside windows...

Hawk vs Panther campers, the Panther gets my vote. The longer aisle is more family friendly than the L couch and sink positioning allows one to wash up when the bed is out.

Eagle and Bobcat both position the sink well.

As far as we are concerned, the outside storm flaps totally stink. We will be upgrading the soft-sides to the "new" (actually old) design with the tub-sided inside flaps this fall.

I didn't like either couch idea so I designed my own. I'm working on revision 1, which will be made of better materials and have a more comfortable seat angle when in the couch position.

If I had purchased a new camper, it would have been a shell. All one has to do is to look at some of the excellent work put out by forum members for great design ideas.

If I had purchased a new camper, it would have been a shell. All one has to do is to look at some of the excellent work put out by forum members for great design ideas.

Mark,
My feeling exactly. FWC and ATC provide the best camper for the typical buyer. Both do a great job.
BUT, there are those picky buyers with ideas of their own. Some may need storage for gear, or people or whatever. I'm one of those.
I'm a DIY, would do it again.
YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom