6 volt dual battery set up

camper rich said:
We also have the Lifeline GPL-4CT AGM batteries in our 2016 Grandby. Expensive, yes, but hopefully they will be worth it. We have the 160 Watt solar panel and the 130 liter 2 way fridge. The batteries have worked well through two 3 month trips, the first of which was Baja when our converter was not working so all charging was solar. The second trip was Alaska where we had many overcast and rainy days requiring shore power or the Honda generator to keep the batteries up. They are working great so far and are almost 1 year old. We're headed to Baja again, this time for 3-1/2 months.
we want to go to Baja, is it safe? What areas do you like? We would like somebody to help us learn the lay of the land, insurance, what we should and should not do

I was reading this thread to gain insight into what battery set-up I should choose for my (hopefully soon) future camper. I saw this bit about Baja, and I am also interested in traveling there, but wonder about safety if I go by myself (and two dogs). It seems like it might be smarter to go with someone else?

Been going to Baja for years and many solo trips. It is safe. Just be smart about where you are parked and where you are traveling. My rule of thumb is that I will not camp north of El Rosario. Stay at a hotel or pay to stay in their gated lot when north of El Rosario. Bring the dogs since you have them.

Baja is an amazing place- oasis's, bristle cone pines and SNOW!, perfect surf and kiting, mountain biking, wine, and food. The people are so amazing and every time we cross the border going south the weight of the pressures here in the USA are forgotten. One of our least favorite things in the world is crossing back over the border north to San Diego. There is a reason why there are so many ex-pats that live there. One day us also.
SageTrails said:
I was reading this thread to gain insight into what battery set-up I should choose for my (hopefully soon) future camper. I saw this bit about Baja, and I am also interested in traveling there, but wonder about safety if I go by myself (and two dogs). It seems like it might be smarter to go with someone else?

ckent323 said:
Our second hand 2007 camper came with two 6-Volt FLA Golf Cart deep cycle batteries that were originally installed by FWC. Both batteries were marginal and one finally quit taking a charge.

I replaced them with two Lifeline GPL-4CT AGM 6V Deep Cycle batteries. They cost $300 each including shipping. The batteries will probably last a long time but they weigh 66 pounds apiece and they take up a fair amount of room (both are in battery boxes). I installed two 100 W solar panels on the camper roof and use a VIctron 75/15 controller to keep the batteries charged up.

If I were to do this over again I would look hard at using a LiFePO4 12 V 100Ah battery which cost around $950 and only weigh about 27 pounds.

Also I would get a Victron SmartSolar 100/20 ($157 @ PKYS) or 100/30 ($226 @ PKYS) solar controller with built in bluetooth.

I am considering replacing the 100 W mono-crystalline rigid solar panels on my camper (which weigh about 22 pounds each including the mounting hardware) with the Solar Cynergy semi-flexible 120 W panels in order to have less weight on the camper top (that should bring the weigh down to 5 - 7 pounds for each panel including mounting hardware).

Regards,

Craig
I hear you on the weight, every 5-7 LBS adds up, I removed my back seat on my Tundra, 70 LBS or so saved, plus extra storage room (to add more weight, LOL)

Probably not the best person to ask at this point, as my solar controller isn't playing well w/my two 6V batteries wired in series, but my situation isn't typical.....

Having had both configurations, I would go w/the 6V in series anyday over two 12V in parallel, for many of the reasons already mentioned. True 6V deep cycle batteries weigh less than deep cycle 12Vs, and cost a lot less. Plus, the literature I've read on 6V vs. 12V deep cycle confirms that 6V do a better job in the long run, because of the plating and construction of the battery, deep cycling repetitively and consistently over time. YMMV, but there's a reason why golf carts use them...think about the cycling they get, and the abuse....good luck w/your planning :) .

Back
Top Bottom