73’ Scout ii w/1978 FWC

BigSaby

Hey everyone. I’m new to all of this. Just picked up a 1973 Scout ii w/1978 factory installed FWC. Looking for any pointers. Also looking for any pics of your similar FWC’s interior for ideas. Thx.

IMG_7705.jpg
IMG_7734.jpg
IMG_0740.jpg
IMG_8006.jpg
IMG_8009.jpg

Wow! What a great find. You'll see a lot of recommendations here for things to do based on how you are going to use your rig and what issues there are. Have fun.

Wow, you don't see the Scout Camper very often. Nice score!

The open pass through is unique to the this camper and the Blazer and Bronco versions, so the interior layouts are very similar.

You can go through my build and see I've gone a little different route than stock.

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/14998-four-wheel-blazer-pop-up-finally-found-one/

The 3-way fridge got pulled for a 12v ARB unit. That gave me room for the driver seat to go where it's comfortable for me. The rest of the cabinet was reconfigured for storage with the water tank and stove getting pulled. I typically cook outside but left myself a way to use my campstove inside on the counter if the weather turns.

The lower bench has gone through a couple versions, but the latest has been there for the long run. It's a complete box with a hinged lid for access to storage. I added a flap to fold out to extend the sleeping surface.

Wow. Looks great. Love the detail w/reference to what u started with and what u were planning to do. It’s a big help, as are the pics. Appreciate everyone’s positive feedback. Just picked up the scout camper last night. Will take better detailed pics and post sometime later today. The adventure begins…..

I have a 72 scout that I have converted the 118" traveller version camper top from a bolt in to a slide in version for my 100" wheel base. I will try and get a build thread going soon. I have no interior at the moment but there is a lot of threads on here about different designs. I had the previous owner of that particular scout send photos so I could compare. Good looking truck. Congrats

Welcome to the group. Arnie and I have an 87 Grandby on a 78 Chevy C20.

First, what you have there is Unobtanium. :)
Second - we're gonna need more pictures and a story on the find!

If you need to see a manual, we copied ours (came with the camper) and put it on Dropbox.
2017-07-18 FWC
You're going to get a lot of input on what you can do. We have left ours original and it works just fine. The 3-way fridge is good unless it's too hot. The heater is fine. Ours came with a water pump which is handy but for hot water we just boil it in the kettle.

Congratulations!

Once again, I appreciate everyone’s input and positive words. I definitely appreciate the manual reference. Very helpful. Thank u.

As far as how I came about picking up my little rig, I own a barber shop and one of my barber’s grandfather was selling his house and consolidating all of his collected belongings. The scout camper is one of a group of items I took off his hands. (One of the other items is a fully mounted grizzly bear.) All in all, a pretty damn good and fun trip to the man’s house.

Wow! Condition looks great in the pics. What's the backstory on the rig and owner? Was he the original owner? Scout paint is so clean I'm assuming it has been repainted, but the FWC canvas also looks in pretty darn good shape. Quite a find.

Thx again for the encouraging words. The guy I bought it from was the second owner. The original owner is from NM and that’s where the scout spent the duration of its life. The paint is original. Has a few tiny dings here and there but they r minimal; as u can see from the pics. The total mileage on it is just over 55,000. It’s been used sparingly and been kept in great shape. I’m very happy to have found it.

Also, I am looking for somewhere to reference any sort of estimated value/worth. Need some reference for my insurance. The somewhat singular nature of this vehicle makes finding comps a little difficult. Anyone have any suggestions as to where I can find some idea as to the vehicle’s estimated value?

Truly a rare/great find and terrific condition too. Just curious, what engine tranny set up does it have?

That's sweet! One thing i changed on mine was pulling the old Suburban furnace. My cooler fits there now. I have a wave3 that hangs from a horizontal wooden pole on the door side. It is on a mount that slides on the pole for entry and exit. LP source comes out of the cabinet with a ball valve and quick coupler. A hose is attached to the heater and loops above the door.
My favorite modification, no blower to drain my battery anymore and no noise either.

Back
Top Bottom