78" wide vs. 84" wide

Durango1

So I know the full size options from All Terrain Camper can be had in either 78" wide or 84". For those who have the 84" ATC's has the extra width ever been a problem in tight spots?

I do note the F-350 I'm looking at ordering has a cab width of 85.3" (with mirrors folded) so I guess the wider camper wouldn't be sticking out past the cab. (More space is always better but on the other hand in my 78" wide Hawk Flatbed model we are super comfortable too.)

Where space is a premium we love our 84" Panther. No width issues for us in the past two years of use. Camper does not protrude past the standard side view mirrors.

At 6'-1" I really appreciate the 82" of bunk space length for E-W sleeping w/o having to pull out the bunk slider.

I went round and round on the width when I got my Panther. That was probably my biggest concern while I waited for mine to be built.

I have to say the 84" width is fantastic and I haven't run into any issues.

I love the wide aisle and door as well as the big storage area behind the bench that the extra width gives you.

With the stock table in the aisle, you can actually walk past the table. Two people can pass each other in the aisle.

20170613_105905-M.jpg

20170612_111255-M.jpg

I went with a width of 81"

Didn't really need that much width inside the camper due to the amount of storage space in a flatbed camper but that allows the fenders of the deck to be wider than the rear tires of my F350 and still be narrower than the truck's mirrors when folded in.

The Alaskans are in the 84" width range as well and that is what I had on my F-150 so that is my frame of reference. While a mere 6" of extra width may not seem like much, you have to realize if the camper is 8' long that is an additional amount of SPACE nobody ever complains about. When was the last time anyone said "Gee, my camper is too big for all the stuff we need to carry!"....

If your truck is also about 84" wide then it would make no sense to be to go with a narrower camper since any place you would want to go where there are trees or brush or rocks that might damage or impede your progress with the 84" wide camper would also be likely to damage your truck.

Wider aisle, longer bed layout (us tall guys would prefer that), more storage, the guys have posted a few really good reasons why they like the wider units....

Good luck with the purchase and enjoy your new camper!

Thanks for all the opinions. (Most of which lean toward the 84" width.) we would like a bit more interior space to avoid the square dancing needed when both people are up and dressing, etc.

I'll keep you all posted.

Back
Top Bottom