84 Fleet - 09 Tacoma - Project

The bed. This was the last recap video I needed to do to get the build process completely documented! I am now all caught up and can start to documents some new projects. Electrical is on deck

Since I finally made videos of all my old work. I officially have videos of all the work I have done on my camper. With this I made a playlist on youtube that takes us from the original purchase, to the present day. Real life Tim jumps around in these videos since I make videos at different points in time. But if someone watches this playlist from start to finish (8 hrs :) it would take you through a chronological build of the camper. Its been a journey. What should I do (build) next?

Four Wheel Camper Rebuild Chronological

Tim,

You mentioned having only three frame posts to attach the slide-out portion of the bed. Since I am such a slacker and still do not have the outer or inner skin on, so I have the opportunity to strengthen that area. What do you think of adding wood blocking in the frame cavity to attach the bed slide out rails?

Boonie

Sure, some blocking wood could help. But how to connect it to the aluminum frame? I am actaully pretty happy with what I have now, it is working quite well. .You don't want to add to much wood, will start to add weight.

Best of luck.

Boonie said:
Tim,

You mentioned having only three frame posts to attach the slide-out portion of the bed. Since I am such a slacker and still do not have the outer or inner skin on, so I have the opportunity to strengthen that area. What do you think of adding wood blocking in the frame cavity to attach the bed slide out rails?

Boonie
Having had two FWC down to the frame myself, I notice they use wood all around the top of the solid part of the camper, and thicker 4" wide C-channel in other strategic locations. What about adding more of that C-channel where you need it?

Ya, scratch the wood blocking. I'll just make sure I know where the rails will anchor and add a 1" aluminum frame post of even some of the C channel that Vic suggested. I think too much and work too little.

Boonie

Tim, your ski drawers begs the question that I have been thinking about and I will post separately : What do you carry in your camper that there is no room for or just does not fit anywhere?

Boonie

Exactly, the skis was the big thing, wish the boot would fit down there too but I manage just fine. I also have my outdoor stove, some saws and axes, scrap wood kindling. I think Ill get my outdoor chairs and and awning down there too. So happy with how it came out.

Tim,

Again one of the advantages of being slow, is the feedback I get from those who precede me. From 40 years of camping/RVing I realized that outdoor storage would be a great feature not available on most campers that's why I added the two aluminum toolboxes. Also you might remember my stove is a Primus that I can use either inside or outside without having to carry an extra. I'm trying to think as best as I can what I will be taking and how I will be using "stuff" so I know where and how big I need to plan for storage.

When you pack for a trip, how do you pack clothes? Duffle bag? Gym bag? Suitcase? Where do you put it in the camper? Do you find a need for hanging clothes?

Boonie

Ohh man, clothes packing is a constant chore and truly not yet solved. We are currently bringing duffel bags or canvas shopping bags and constantly doing the 'duffle shuffle'. With the toddler it is a bit crazy. Stuff ends up everywhere, except where it is supposed to go which is under the galley.

our main storage area is under the galley, you can see a big void in the galley build photos, but I never finished it off. I need shelves or something. My ideal solution would be some sort of bin that can easily be brought inside the house, packed, then easily stored in the camper in a proper place.

My most recent thought is something like this: https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-20633GR/Totes-Plastic-Storage-Boxes/Mesh-Straight-Wall-Container-24-x-16-x-8-1-2-Gray?pricode=WB1354&gadtype=pla&id=S-20633GR&gclid=CjwKCAjw3-bzBRBhEiwAgnnLCmggF48h5YaVo3bmTUBukdcokup3viAccorAX__28ZFGoqRUh-3y9BoC9hkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

That fits perfectly in a shelf or something. But I have taken no steps towards that.

I have never needed to hang clothes. Though my wife did one time pick me up from the airport after a work trip and we headed straight to the site. It was humorous to be setting up the camper in my blazer and slick shoes at midnight on some back snow covered road.

Storage is your friend, really consider and perfect it, it pays dividends when out there.

m.r.h. said:
I have been thinking lots about storage and packing clothes and what not. Still in the planning stages of how of my remodel but I have been thinking about something like this

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/trofast-storage-combination-with-boxes-light-white-stained-pine-orange-yellow-s79240889/

They make all sorts of sizes and color of the boxes and are pretty affordable.
Yes exactly the type of idea I had in mind, I would like the boxes to have lids and be a bit more industrious, plus a locking mechanism so they don't fall out while driving will be key. But this is right on point with what I am trying to do. Thanks for sharing.

Boonie said:
Tim,

I watched your cabinet build video last night and clicked on the link to Wind-Lock? I can't find the cabinet latch. Help

Boonie
Hey Bonnie, Here is the link

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071KVBKXT/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=tgmorrissey-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B071KVBKXT&linkId=b4d8b9fb79a39ad8693e41914fe60d76

Ill go check out the video and see if the link is broken over there.

Also, check the links in my signature, the last one is a google sheet with all the links which I usually have up to date, Let me know if you find any more broken links and Ill hunt it down. Thanks.

Boonie said:
Tim,

I watched your cabinet build video last night and clicked on the link to Wind-Lock? I can't find the cabinet latch. Help

Boonie
The link in the video description here worked.

So maybe I am misunderstanding your need. Let me know where you were having trouble. - Tim

Living The Dream said:
Yes exactly the type of idea I had in mind, I would like the boxes to have lids and be a bit more industrious, plus a locking mechanism so they don't fall out while driving will be key. But this is right on point with what I am trying to do. Thanks for sharing.
My rendition will have a door to keep everything in place.

I have been doing back and forth about lids on boxes. While I live in my camper 4 months out of the year I want things to be a little bit more like a dresser, lids get in the way. However, with lids you can sort of keep a box of clothes and gear always stored at the ready, making your pack up time way less.

The opportunities are endless.

Back
Top Bottom