A/C for Eastern Humidity and heat ?

DavidGraves

I wonder if there are any great ideas out there for adapting one of the little portable 110 V. A/C units to an FWC camper ?

We are likely to go east late August and September and I know just how wicked the humidity can be....

We might even consider staying in a few RV campgrounds where we could power up 110 from the pylon and run some sort of little unit.

The few little portables I have seen for home use seem to want a vent exhaust that would fit rgiht out one of the turnbuckle doors.

Whats a better idea ? Temporary only and not built in.

Many thanks

David Graves

Grandby front dinette, emergency exit window with a 16" piece of swim noodle on top of the AC to protect the window. Gravity pulls the board tight to the wall, white side out. Small GE A/C PXL_20210614_153635809.jpgPXL_20210605_181149346.jpgPXL_20210614_153655010.jpg

Thanks

Is that the side egress window ?

So , do you remove it when not in use ?

Thanks for the reply....how many BTU ?

David

David, the window in ours unlatches and you push the bottom out. My wife holds it up when I slide the unit in and places the noodle on top. I take the back rest and out it in the back seat of the truck. I will have to check on the BTU

Howdy

But it is a side window yeah ?

So the A/C unit does not stay there for transport ?

I bet is cools and dries the camper out fast !

DG

Drivers side window on front dinette. It is removed when driving. The camper gets ice cold. Had to go to medium to warm it up a bit.

I’m getting ready to do the portable AC thing myself in the small driver side window. For those of you who use the small window unit I see you have a shelf that the AC rests on outside, does that hinge up when not in uses?

Also I do not have shore power so was thinking about running an extension cord into the camper through the turnbuckle access doors (figuring a way to seal it up to critters) Any thoughts on that?

And, finally, do you use generator to run your AC? Obviously it will be a small btu unit and if so which model.
Don’t worry if you are camping next to me I won’t be running the generator. I only plan on the coast of Texas where we have 80 miles of beach and you have no reason to park next to me.

The factory installed A/C unit is a permanent install. The rear frame of the camper was modified for the unit. There is way more to pulling the window and installing an A/C. When not in use FWC has a snap on cover for the unit. You should probably research using an A/C with an extension cord. Could be a fire Hazzard.

longhorn1 said:
The factory installed A/C unit is a permanent install. The rear frame of the camper was modified for the unit. There is way more to pulling the window and installing an A/C. When not in use FWC has a snap on cover for the unit. You should probably research using an A/C with an extension cord. Could be a fire Hazzard.
If this is a reply to my post I was referring to using the same small widow on the drivers side Y’all are using.
And yes I will need to look at the particular AC unit to see the amps drawn and the length of the extension cord to get the right gauge.
Thanks

Got it. If you kinda hang in one place it is great. We are usually dropping the top to sightsee. In someways it is a PIA. I open the condensate plug and let it drain, Plug it back on and pull it inside and set on a garbage back. I usually take it to the back door and allow the condensate to drain further. It sits on a garbage bag between the dinette seats. Glad we have it, but not big fans of camping on hot humid conditions.

DarinH said:
Is the a/c unit secured to the plywood base with hardware or just sitting on it loose?
It sits loose. The weight/gravity pulls the board tight to the camper wall
The top bracket on the A/C keeps the unit from moving.

longhorn1 said:
It sits loose. The weight/gravity pulls the board tight to the camper wall
The top bracket on the A/C keeps the unit from moving.
Thanks for the info. I have a Grandby also that I'm going to be putting a a/c unit in, so that's real helpful.

I had one in my Grandby and removed it.. sitting in the garage if anyone would like one.. not sure your location original poster...

BBZ said:
I had one in my Grandby and removed it.. sitting in the garage if anyone would like one.. not sure your location original poster...
Do you have the mounting bracket that holds the AC unit or the AC itself, or both?

Back
Top Bottom