A few new things that FWC installs now

DesertDave

I have had my new Grandby just shy of two weeks now. There are a few new things that FWC installs now, that haven't made it to their website as of yet. Maybe this stuff is of interest to potential buyers.

Thermostat - they are installing a digital heat-only White Rogers thermostat now if you order the furnace. Battery-operated so you can see the inside temp, The only two things I could wish for is that it were black to match the rest of the controls, and that it had a temp setting lower than 45 degrees.

New solar controller - if you order their solar panel. They now install a Zamp Solar ZS-15AW controller. You can read the specs at this link.
http://www.zampsolar.com/images/1391014851.pdf

I like how it always shows the battery voltage, and when it is actively charging, it will show the charging amps, and the amp hours it has charged since it was last activated (ie. that morning).

I used the amp feature to prove that simply shading the panel with a Yakima crossbar knocks about 25% off of the charging amps. The amp hour feature will come in handy to see how my pre-purchase estimates of charging capability match up to the real world charging.

Solar wiring - I also ordered the rear wall plug, and learned that FWC wired it to the controller. I had never asked about this prior, and had assumed they'd just leave the wiring into the battery compartment. I haven't decided if I will leave it this way or not, but it does allow me to plug in a plain solar panel (of 150W or less) into the exterior plug and stay within the amp rating of the factory controller.

Door hold-open latch. FWC now installs a nicely finished cast aluminum door latch device to positively hold open the entry door.

I posted photos of the new latch into a gallery, thinking I could then post them into a thread - but heres a link if you are interested http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/gallery/album/768-daves-camper-photos/

I learned a great deal from this site in the last few months, maybe this info will be useful to someone.

Dave

I just use a bungee cord from the door to my jack bracket when it's windy. It's good that they came up with a better fix than the plunger.

Desert Dave. Nice write up. I take delivery on my Grandby in Mid-July. I also got the 100-watt solar panel on the roof and the rear plug. I had planned on getting the portable solar panel as well, but Sean Dempsey of Go-Anywhere, the distributor in Wisconsin suggested getting the WindWalker wind generator. That way I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket with solar. Glad to hear about the thermostat. That was going to be a planned mod so I guess I can take that off my list.

John

Nice set up DesertDan, Glad to see FWC continuing to be proactive as they make much needed improvements (in some areas) on their campers. I also, have the new Zamp Solar Panel, however, I went with their portable 80W panel with an outside plug and I like it very much. Nice to follow the sun w/o moving the camper. Seems like a high quality panel/monitor combination, (I recall something about German/USA made). Also, I installed a thermostat, but a different brand. The digital way with inside temp. readings is pretty sweet. This site has been a mountain of information, along with so many great ideas from members. Thanks to all.

I picked up my Grandby a week ago. I noticed that it smelled new and looked pretty.
It does have a thermostat and the door latch.

Joanne W.

I'm wondering about that new door catch. I have to replace the rubber in my older style one regularly, and I am curious if folks like the new style one? It would seem you can't close the door from inside the camper with the new one?

Vic Harder said:
I'm wondering about that new door catch. I have to replace the rubber in my older style one regularly, and I am curious if folks like the new style one? It would seem you can't close the door from inside the camper with the new one?
Holds the door well, but no, you can’t close from inside.

Howdy

Our 2019 Grandby has that door hold open catch and it does seem to work better than the older design.

David Graves

Vic - I have both. Mostly use the rubber one since it is easier and faster and you can close the door from inside. Only use the more positive one when it is really windy.

Flyfisher said:
Vic - I have both. Mostly use the rubber one since it is easier and faster and you can close the door from inside. Only use the more positive one when it is really windy.
Had not thought of having both! Thanks for the idea.

A link would be great!

I cannot see a brand on it....don't know how to post an image.

Brenda at FWC would know if they out source it or have it made for them on contract.

I have too little exposure to other brand campers to know if it is widely used.

DG

DesertDave I LOVE the idea of the aluminum panel for the bottom of the door. When I've walked around the FWC area at Expo West it seems like everyone's lower door was beat up pretty bad. Picking up my flatbed Hawk in August. CAN'T WAIT!!

Dave. Can you show/tell me which thermostat they install? want to replace the one in my Ocelot. Thanks

You can buy that latch any place that sells horse trailers. This is not new. Our Sundowner horse trailer came with these 20 years ago.

The problem I have with that latch, which came with my 2020 Hawk, is that where it attaches to to door is not strong, basically hollow. So somehow, from leaning on the door getting in or out, bumping into it, the screen door flying open in a big wind…the door is now dented and even has a small crack. :/ Hopefully they have reinforced them somehow.

longhorn1 said:
Desert Dave. Nice write up. I take delivery on my Grandby in Mid-July. I also got the 100-watt solar panel on the roof and the rear plug. I had planned on getting the portable solar panel as well, but Sean Dempsey of Go-Anywhere, the distributor in Wisconsin suggested getting the WindWalker wind generator. That way I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket with solar. Glad to hear about the thermostat. That was going to be a planned mod so I guess I can take that off my list.

John
I don’t want to hijack this post but I would love to hear how the WindWalker is working out and how you mounted it?

Back
Top Bottom