A high-quality outdoor camp table with no loss of internal storage space

JHanson

To all you FWC owners (or anyone with a cabover camper):

We wanted a sturdy camp table for eating and working outside, but didn't want to take up storage space in the camper or truck. Our solution involved exploiting the space between the camper overhang and the track cab's roof. We used an excellent stainless and aluminum table from Front Runner, along with brackets they sell to sling it under a roof rack, plus a bit of fabrication. The story is here: http://www.overlandexpo.com/overland-tech-travel/2013/7/9/the-blue-vinyl-table-is-dead.html

9246868837_f91bbe0d3b_z.jpg

9249653408_450352d7c6_z.jpg

Don't just toss the table on top of all my other gear? That just might be worth considering :)

Sorry for the high jack .... But which glass do you prefer the Leica or the swarovskis? Pm if you like. I only ask because most people do not have both.

Ramblinman, PM sent.

To summarize for anyone else interested: I think the differences between the top brands (Leica, Swarovski, and Zeiss) are so small that personal preference in handling and even looks plays more of a part in choosing than any microscopic differences in optical quality. They all produce superb imagery and are hugely resistant to abuse.

Back to topic . . .

This is awesome! I've been thinking about doing this since before I even owned my camper. Thanks for the writeup! That table's not cheap, but then again, can you really put a price on quality? I've been looking for a nice aluminum folding table for a few months now but may end up going with the front runner, and the fact that they make the brackets is just the cherry on top. Thanks again!

Nice table JHanson, thanks for the link.

I noticed the cab-over brackets can be purchased separately, and it looks like it could be an efficient way to carry (not mount) a solar panel. I was thinking of trying to rig up something similar, but this could save a lot of trouble..

Williak - That's a fantastic idea. You could easily carry a 125-watt (or any other size) panel in that space, and assemble a plug-in wiring loom for it. Deployment would take no longer than the table.

JHanson,

I can't take credit for the idea of storing a solar panel on a bracket mounted under the cab-over. There are several folks on the forum who have fabricated brackets for panels and seem to be using them with success. I just like the idea of using the front runner z brackets for a solar panel the way you did with the table. Looks bomber, and for 60 bucks, not much more than buying aluminum angle and associated HW, drilling holes, etc.

williak

In reference to the original post and the mounting location: I hate to be the "internet safety guy with no experience about what he is warning people about", but I have always been nervous of putting anything in that space as a little bit of bed flex on the trail could crunch that item into the roof of the cab.

Andy Douglass said:
In reference to the original post and the mounting location: I hate to be the "internet safety guy with no experience about what he is warning people about", but I have always been nervous of putting anything in that space as a little bit of bed flex on the trail could crunch that item into the roof of the cab.
Andy, with our combination at least (2012 Tacoma Access Cab, FWC Fleet), there was zero chance of any contact. And I've had that truck up on three wheels so far the doors wouldn't open.

50073389618_b9b53531f1_c.jpg

JHanson I agree. With a 2011 Tacoma and Fleet I have locking drawer pulls under the overhang for my outdoor shower that pull out and also store a 160W portable solar panel between them when it is not attached to roof rack and have had 0 problems. Have a lot of miles off road, although not technical rock climbing or anything like that. It is a great storage place for those type of items.

Overall a good plan for storage...but I have a tray on Yak mounts and store stuff in it below the overhang; might mention that what I store are flexible items that in case I really misjudge the overhang will never contact anything "hard"....got to agree with Hanson that the chance of the Hawk or Tundra frame flexing enough to hit my tray is very, very close to zero...I have a roll up aluminum table that serves us well.....just me, but so far I have also avoided puncturing the skin of the Hawk; already too many through hull fittings....

Love to see this thinking outside the box!

Phil

JHanson said:
Andy, with our combination at least (2012 Tacoma Access Cab, FWC Fleet), there was zero chance of any contact. And I've had that truck up on three wheels so far the doors wouldn't open.

50073389618_b9b53531f1_c.jpg
This is a good data point for me. I have an access cab as well and was very nervous about doing serious wheeling based on having the doors rub when doing this without the camper while on 3 wheels. I see you also have an ARB steel bumper and winch so that's even more weight. I'm curious what you did for suspension.

Back
Top Bottom