A hop, skip and a jump....

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN
After pawning the 16 year old off at a friend's house for the night, the wife and dogs and I took advantage of the LAST night/day of Spring-like weather for awhile took an impromptu jaunt last night/today in the FWC.

We got a late start out of the gate because...um....while we had asked the 16 year old WTF his plans were :rolleyes::confused::rolleyes: for the weekend many times last week,...it wasn't until 4PM that he handed us the phone to talk to his best bud's mom as he simultaneously informed us that he was heading over to his best bud's house to spend the night....

By 4:20 we had grabbed the essentials :D ...the kid was out the door...and were on the road heading south...not really knowing *where* we were going to camp but shooting for a couple of spots we thought might work...

The first spot we had in mind was a place we could barely remember being at even though we'd been there twice...(no, it wasn't the ganja) was HECLA JUNCTION...south of Buena Vista/Nathrop. The reason we'd been there twice and things were fuzzy was that both times we were ending whitewater raft trips and weren't driving our own vehicle. I remembered where the road was off of 24 but beyond that...it was a blur.

The map showed a camp area...and it was BLM land...so we headed there and left the Fire road farther south that crossed both BLM and NF as a backup. The road was good but seriously winding.....up...then down to the river. I kept looking for pullouts or boonie roads but it was fairly steep on both sides of the road and it was getting dark fast. The wife *thought* she saw a road on the way down but it looked like a wash to me....

Of course...when we got riverside we saw the the campground was a developed area...and while there were very few folks...there *were* folks...and campfires...and a $14 a night fee...and a sterile feel...so we decided to head out and check option #2. As we headed back up the wife insisted that I stop and get out at the place she saw on the way down. When I pulled over anf got out with the flashlight I saw that it was a road...with a washout across it.... and a steep drop off on the other side. It LOOKED bad...but wasn't.... and it must have scared MOST other folks off because when we popped down in there we found a VERY nice spot that was used...but possibly one of the cleanest BLM/camp spots I'd ever seen and one of those "lucky" pull-ins to camp where you think about levelling the camper and then look down and realize that exactly where you stopped is dead on...

T'was a WARM night. I doubt it got below freezing.(?) It was 45 by 9Am when we rolled out of camp

Attachments

• guf6.jpg
    guf6.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 264
  • duf5.jpg
    duf5.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 272
  • guf7.jpg
    guf7.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 262
From camp we headed back north a bit to 285....then over Trout Creek Pass.
The destination today was to see some friends/ex-co-workers who have chucked it all and bought 80 acres near Guffey.....

After hanging there for a bit we started to wind back home...stopping in Guffey (Goofy!) for a few pics of the local...um...>>design style

Attachments

• guf1.jpg
    guf1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 255
  • guf2.jpg
    guf2.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 258
  • guf3.jpg
    guf3.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 259
  • guf4.jpg
    guf4.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 253
  • guf8.jpg
    guf8.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 251
MTN High,

Thanks for sharing.

It looks like you had a great trip with your wife and dogs. I really dig funky towns that use old stuff as art and create a feeling of nostalgia for days past or just random displays of old junk that looks cool.
Seems like fun wondering around with the camera there after rolling a spliff on a nice sunny day.
Winter keeps coming here as well.But thats a good thing for a snow hunter.

Hey all.

We've yet to see any major accumulation from this storm...but I just went out and noticed our trucks in the driveway... which as you can see, are now covered in mud...the remnants of about 1/4" of >snow< that fell early this AM...

Simon says..."Go Muck!"

Attachments

• mudrain1.jpg
    mudrain1.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC_0074 749X497.jpg
    DSC_0074 749X497.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 207
  • mudrain.jpg
    mudrain.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 219
Cool shots of the rusted out relics.

Keep that storm at bay, I've gotta go over Monarch Pass tomorrow...

Hey all.

We've yet to see any major accumulation from this storm...but I just went out and noticed our trucks in the driveway... which as you can see, are now covered in mud...the remnants of about 1/4" of >snow< that fell early this AM...

Simon says..."Go Muck!"

We received only about an inch or so of snow as well. However, like you, we received a generous accumulation of red Utah mud. In addition, my allergies flared up over night, apparently from whatever blew in from the desert region. It comes as no surprise, as I thought the house was coming down last night from the gusty winds. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom