A truck companion for a FWC 2011 Eagle.. Any Advice?

ggerlach0424

I am looking into purchasing a new truck & pop up set up. I have found a 2011 Eagle in great condition that I am interested in. I would like advice on the best truck pairing for this camper? I currently drive a Chevy Silverado 1500 with a 6.5 ft bed. However I am thinking about trading that out for a new generation Tacoma? Any thoughts/experiences that folks could share would be much appreciated!

Keep your truck and see how you like the Eagle before introducing yet another change. You may also hear from others that you can quickly overload a Tacoma. Others will say that's OK.

If you want a tacoma, we have a 2017 with 17,000 miles with a 2018 Fleet camper. For sale as a package or separately. Email me at paul@northpeakdatasystems for all the details.
Thanks,
Paul

I'm with Vic, use it n your current truck for a couple trips. Should give you some insight as to whether you want to stay with that size truck or move on to another. My own 2 cents would be to stay full size. If Toyota is your thing, lot of folks here with Tundras.

I am with the above posters. Try it out on your truck and see how you like it. The eagles are a bit small and take some getting used to.

I have a Gen 3 Tacoma and had to upgrade the suspension to handle the camper. Though even my fiberglass topper was almost to heavy for the light duty stock suspension. But I love my Tacoma.

I am somewhat biased because I have a 2011 Tacoma and Fleet. Tire and suspension upgrades are needed for sure. The Gen 3 Tacoma’s changed their low end gearing and not for the better so you will see on here (Hodaka Guy) and many on Tacoma forum re-gearing to make it more functional for off road. The Tacoma has much tighter turning radius if you need that. I like the Taco and needed the turning radius and narrow truck, but if those are not things you need it is much easier to address weight challenges with a bigger truck.

1st gen tundra double cab. If you can find one that’s been well cared for and relatively low miles it will make a great fit for the Eagle.

windy said:
1st gen tundra double cab. If you can find one that’s been well cared for and relatively low miles it will make a great fit for the Eagle.
Yes. That would be an amazing set up.

I sent you an email Paul!
paulclancy said:
If you want a tacoma, we have a 2017 with 17,000 miles with a 2018 Fleet camper. For sale as a package or separately. Email me at paul@northpeakdatasystems for all the details.
Thanks,
Paul

What kind of help did you add? Timbrans? Airbags? Extra leaf?
Kolockum said:
I am with the above posters. Try it out on your truck and see how you like it. The eagles are a bit small and take some getting used to.

I have a Gen 3 Tacoma and had to upgrade the suspension to handle the camper. Though even my fiberglass topper was almost to heavy for the light duty stock suspension. But I love my Tacoma.

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I am still learning a lot about Tacomas. And FWC.
Would you be interested in personal messaging me directly with more information?
I am specifically wondering: When did they change the gearing? Would an older model be better? I am hoping for improved gas millage with a smaller truck, yet with the weight consideration would that be backwards thinking?
Also what are you thoughts between the Fleet and the Eagle?

moveinon said:
I am somewhat biased because I have a 2011 Tacoma and Fleet. Tire and suspension upgrades are needed for sure. The Gen 3 Tacoma’s changed their low end gearing and not for the better so you will see on here (Hodaka Guy) and many on Tacoma forum re-gearing to make it more functional for off road. The Tacoma has much tighter turning radius if you need that. I like the Taco and needed the turning radius and narrow truck, but if those are not things you need it is much easier to address weight challenges with a bigger truck.

ggerlach0424 said:
I am hoping for improved gas millage with a smaller truck, yet with the weight consideration would that be backwards thinking?
Also what are you thoughts between the Fleet and the Eagle?
Smaller trucks can get great fuel economy when unloaded, which is how the majority of folks drive them, and how the EPA tests them. We drive loaded. My previous truck was a GMC 2500 with the 8.1L gasser. 10 mpg, always. My new truck is a 3500 Chev diesel. 18 mpg avg loaded and driving quickly. I see folks posting worse fuel economy with much smaller and newer trucks.

Search here for MPG threads and you will be surprised.

Vic

What kind of help did you add? Timbrans? Airbags? Extra leaf?
I added an Old Man Emu (OME) kit with shocks. Heavy leaf in the back and medium coils in the front. Makes the Tacoma ride a little stiffer and more inline with full size trucks I am used to. Also really took out a lot of the body roll.

I get ~15 mpg with my Tacoma loaded. Honestly it is better than I was expecting. I do have a lead foot but even if I try to be economical my mileage never gets above 16 mpg.

I have been really impressed with the efficiency of my friends F-150 ecoboost towing a T@b 400. They are normally around 20 mpg loaded and mid 20's empty. They have noticeably more power and torque.

Funny, I'm thinking the opposite. I've done over 100,000 miles with my Tacoma and Eagle setup.

My Tacoma itself has over 200,000 mies and I'm searching around for what to replace it with.
I was considering a Full Size truck, because though I've been doing this for years and many many miles I've always known I'm over weight in the Tacoma.

To make the Tacoma work, however, I do have custom springs and lift and upgraded gearing. I think if it was stock I would have changed the truck out years ago, I just recently in the last 3 years started towing a motorcycle trailer with my setup, this is where things get a bit crazy and I've now said, maybe it's time to go Full Size?

Just my 2C...the 2nd Gen Tacoma is pulling off the task (with modifications) but I think keeping your full size will let you have more choices of setups?

With my gearing change I get about 15mpg with the Eagle and about 12-13mpg with the Eagle and towing the motorcycle. If I go down a tire size I can get the truck to about 17mpg with the Eagle and I never towed the motorcycle with the smaller tires so I won't have figures for that. Don't expect great gas milage from the smaller truck.

Best of luck with your new Eagle!

20190624_162421.jpeg
20191130_063603.jpeg

Fleet vs Eagle
They're both the same width between the wheel wells. Above the side rails the Fleet is 76' wide. The Eagle is 69". We like the Eagle because it has very little overhang so shoppers at supermarkets don't get hung up on it when they walk by AND the brush on off road trails doesn't scratch the camper in tight spaces.

My 2 cents.
Tacoma vs Full size truck. Our Eagle shell is bolted down permanently. We replaced the rear springs to support 1800 pounds. Have E rated offroad tires. Have the trailer towing pkg with the 3.73 rear axle ratio for towing . The 4 liter V6 gets 12mpg around town. 16.5 mpg driving under 70mph. It gets 18.5 in Oregon. Reason most roads have a 55 mph max speed. Weighing 6200 pounds loaded for a week in the desert, it still passes semi's on hughway 395 like a rocket.And it fits in standard parking places at the mall. The Eagle has a smaller footprint than the Fleet

We love our 2013 Tacoma which works great for us for what we use it for.

One last thing your Silverado bed is 13 " wider between the wheel wells than Tacoma. Since the Eagle is only (69").securing it in the bed will be challenging. . If your going to keep the truck you need to look for a Hawk

Back
Top Bottom