Access holes to turnbuckles

WyomingJames

Hi all, I am a newbie here although I have been following several posts to get ideas. I have purchased a 1983 FWC Keystone camper 2 months ago and as most campers this age, it is in need of alot of TLC. I am going to try to avaoid a total rebuild at this point and attempt get it in shape to use this summer. I have already started a floor pack narrowing and built & installed a front lift panel. As others have done, I will attempt to post pictures when I can.

I have a question I have not found an answer to and thought there is alot of very experienced people on this site that may be able to answer my questions (I am sure there will be a lot more in the near future).

My question is, I need to add access holes to get to the turnbuckles. I see FWC commonly uses a rectangular hole and a round hole. Do they use a round hole because two rectangular holes would weaken that panel too much?

Thanks for any help anyone can give?

That's a good question WJ!

I know an alongated hole is stronger (offers greater overall regidity and strength) than a round hole or no hole at all in metal fabrication. Why cargo airplanes still have portholes down the fuselage; aluminum inserts are installed instead of multiple layered plexiglass.

But, I don't know if this is also true with cabinetry and woodworking.

WyomingJames said:
My question is, I need to add access holes to get to the turnbuckles. I see FWC commonly uses a rectangular hole and a round hole. Do they use a round hole because two rectangular holes would weaken that panel too much?
First, the material should be 5/8" or 3/4" plywood and most issues with tearing around corners (rectangle or square holes) is not really an issue.

Second, circular or ovals (elongated circles) are better because of no corners where tearing can occur, usually in thinner materials than 5/8" or 3/4" plywood.

You could call FWC or even ATC to see why they do it the way they do.

I'd guess because of the material being used (plywood) the hole shape is not really a structural issue.
I'd further guess that it's more of what is easy to access the turnbuckles for a variety of eye bolt positions in various installations, both the interior design of the camper and the type of truck.
However, those are just my guesses.

I'll bet the square vs. round is a manufacturing issue, not one of strength. In my first FWC (last century) the holes were round. I'll bet they used a hole saw to place them after building the floor pack.

My thoughts on the current build process is that it is more a manufacturing process, as close to a repeatable assembly line as they feasibly make it. The materials are cut to allow for the square access hole, and built with it in-place from the start.

Wow, thanks for all the input from everyone. I guess I was just over thinking the idea. I was trying to decide how large they could be to also use them to store non-essentials. I am definately no engineer but common sense says you don't want to put two 2 1/2 ft. long holes in a 5/8 thick plywood panel 6 ft. long, that needs to supply any support to the structure. So that made me think then, what are the limitations to the size of the holes to cut into the panel. Would the shape of the opening make a difference? Then my mind went to the thought that if you used a circular hole, you would be left with more plywood between it and the rectangular hole, thus giving more support.

Ok, I will stop over thinking it. Can anyone tell me what size openings are generally used for access to the turnbuckles? Thanks

My 83 keystone had panels in it that we're about 5" by 12" under the front cushions on either side. Use to put a plastic bag in there and stuff the dirty laundry in it. Finally converted to front in the bed tie downs and it worked out well to use those holes for the tie downs.

Back
Top Bottom