Across Nevada! - May 2016

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
The ski3pinners disappeared into Nevada for the Memorial Day Weekend. We had an incredibly good time and discovered several new places for us. I have completed the story of our adventure and have it posted on our blog -

Across Nevada! - May 2016 - Part One

Across Nevada! - May 2016 - Part Two

As ever, you are invited to tag along as the story unfolds.

We hope you find it fun, interesting, and enjoyable. We sure did. :)

Once again I get to journey vicariously. Wonderful TR!!! You do such a great job of sharing!!!

C-17 transport is my guess on the aircraft.

Great report Ski!
The more we wandered in the desert this Spring the more we found. We are definitely going back when we retire!

More-more! Nice TR ------Bob especially liked the Jack rabbit :D ! By the way, the Indians really did depict late historic stuff in their rock art. My favorite still is a cowboy wearing a stetson on his horse up near High Rock Canyon. Then there was the mammoth with a spear stuck in his hump seen on a 1910 bench mark in Yellow Rock.

Smoke

Nice hike - that one goes on the list. Hot Creek Mtns are always interesting. We saw 57 desert bighorn sheep in basically one band there once. Did not know about the nuke sites up there, might have to visit that sometime. Thanks!

Smokecreek1 said:
More-more! Nice TR ------Bob especially liked the Jack rabbit :D ! By the way, the Indians really did depict late historic stuff in their rock art. My favorite still is a cowboy wearing a stetson on his horse up near High Rock Canyon. Then there was the mammoth with a spear stuck in his hump seen on a 1910 bench mark in Yellow Rock.

Smoke
I have photos of modern Native American rock art in Cha Canyon, Utah. Very similar to what you're describing. It shared the site with very old art.

Terrific, as always! Kudos on the hot spring. A recent find, or have you visited that one before? Don't want to know the name, location, etc, just curious as to whether you'd soaked it before. Nice as it is, my guess is it's well known but well off of the beaten path.

Thanks for the TR.

Oh, and I like the addition of the videos!

Foy

Foy said:
<snip>
Kudos on the hot spring. A recent find, or have you visited that one before? Don't want to know the name, location, etc, just curious as to whether you'd soaked it before. Nice as it is, my guess is it's well known but well off of the beaten path.

<snip>
A hot spring I've known about only from a geological list of springs. This was our first stop and we were more than pleasantly surprised. I suspect this spot is not well known and am a bit apprehensive about any mention. I suspect that it's location will alleviate most of my fears. :)

Cool, now I know what I missed when I decided against visiting the craters in the rain. That campsite at GB looks familiar.

Hot springs! I plan to take a trip only visiting remote hot springs in which to soak!

"It occurred to me that using the lifespan of an aspen leaf as a measure of time would be a darn good way to live."

YES! What a beautiful thought.
Thank you for sharing this wonderful journey

Thanks so much. Nevada, especially the northern and central parts of the state seem to be a place I drive through on my way to somewhere else. Might have to rectify that in the not so distant future.

Another fine report. I enjoyed following along. Sure do wish we lived near some hot springs. We'll just have to do with hot weather- 90°s this weekend.

Great TR, as usual. I really like your addition of videos.

Seeing what a small nuclear device did to the desert floor makes me wonder what kind of damage the undersea detonations did to the ocean and sea life. How destructive man can be...

I too love GBNP and I wasn't expecting much before my first visit. I was pleasantly surprised. I climbed Wheeler and the wind almost blew me off of the summit! Lehman Caves was fantastic and a great way to dodge the summer heat. One of my favorite things I did while visiting the park was to partake in an evening of star gazing and attend an astronomy lecture they have at certain times. It was great to peer into the universe from one of the darkest places places in the lower 48.

As for your secret spring; was it a hot spring or just a spring? I've never seen a spring like that in any of my books, but it sure looked inviting.

Everyone, thank you your very nice comments, they are appreciated!

Nevada, just like every one of our states, holds special place to explore and discover, all we have to do is make the effort. We hope that in some way we have inspired others go look for the quiet and solitude that restores the soul and makes us feel just a little closer to the natural world.

Mr. Groovy, how right you are about Great Basin National Park, truly a remarkable sky island. Astronomy was the theme of the ranger led night presentations Sat & Sun over Memorial Day at the Lehman Caves visitor center/ Several years ago, while driving by on 50 we decided to stop and run up Wheeler to break up the drive. We ran into friends, a great surprise, while on the trail and we all came up with the crazy plan to get down in time to make a cave tour - see the top and bottom on the same day. It was so much fun!

The secret spring? Something tells me the search is already on. :) We all still love treasure hunts.

Back
Top Bottom