Across Nevada! - May 2016

ski3pin said:
The secret spring? Something tells me the search is already on. :) We all still love treasure hunts.
I put my most NV knowledgeable friend on the hunt. Happens that he like hot springs too, so it is a good challenge for him. What ever is discovered will be left for others to also discover on their own. :)

He lamented that Project Faultless now shows on google maps when not that long ago it didn't.

Ski thanks for posting another great TR. Gone a week with maybe a couple hours of internet, I'm way behind with all of the WTW posts and trip reports. Nice touch with the videos. JD

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Thanks for the good read. As someone who grew up in the era where we were taught in school to bend over and "kiss your rump goodby" as we used to put it. The faultless thing and associated links sent me off onto much U tube and other tangents last night.

That detonation was but a firecracker by nuclear standards. And holy cow. The 20' wave rolled across the desert as far as the eye could see like a swell on the ocean. That bomb was over a 1/2 mile down. So that force must have pulverized the earth down at least a 1/2 mile more as well. Unbelievable solid rock turned to gravel for miles in every direction. After all the testing done out there it's a wonder there is any water that is fit to drink in the whole state! And we thought fracking was ruining water here in the east. All that destruction over what was mostly paranoia and ideology!

Who in their right mind would dynamite the foundation of their home like that. Let alone on a scale a million times bigger. It's a wonder we have survived ourselves on this planet. Just bringing back those memories of my youth gives me the williy's.

Thanks for the reminder. We all need it from time to time.

ski3pin said:
A hot spring I've known about only from a geological list of springs. This was our first stop and we were more than pleasantly surprised. I suspect this spot is not well known and am a bit apprehensive about any mention. I suspect that it's location will alleviate most of my fears. :)
You certainly raised the bar on this one. ;)
Thanks for making it fun and not publishing obvious clues to bring in the masses.
I always prefer hot spring info to be kept on the down low.

As an Easterner I have to confess that Great Basin NP was not even on our radar...until now.

Thanks for the great TR. The solitude of high mountain hiking is one of Gods greatest gifts and I thank you for sharing it with us.

I suspect that since I live at about 800' elevation it will take a little adjustment to be comfortable above 9000' but I'm ready for the challenge!

Back
Top Bottom