Actual cost difference of a diesel engine

Do tell...

I believe this is more about making the best informed choice when making a very large purchase more than it is a "pissing contest". I rode my mountain bike from Oregon to Montana once. Doesn't get more "back to basics" than that :D

Anywho, I've made my decision, thanks to everyone for their input.

So what is your decision? I'm sure you'll like it. I'm just curious.

So what is your decision? I'm sure you'll like it. I'm just curious.

It came down to a decision between a Dodge and a Ford. I've always liked Fords and was disappointed that the Ford Diesel engines have such a bad track record.

I test drove the Dodge and liked it, although the interior styling and drive quality was not as nice as the Ford.

Ultimately I decided to get a gas F250 for the following reasons:

• Styling and drive are just awesome
  • Current Ford rebates are far better than deals Dodge or GM are offering
  • While overall I think diesel is the better choice, all of the financial considerations made the gas engine a better choice for me right now
  • My employer will be paying for some of my gas expenses as I travel for work, but they wouldn't cover the cost of a diesel engine, further improving the cost performance of the gas engine (in my situation)
  • I really like my local Ford dealer. My local dodge dealer just seems a bit shady to me
  • The Dodge is made in Mexico. The Ford is made in Kentucky. I don't know who's going to be buying any of these trucks when there are no jobs.

Ultimately I decided to get a gas F250 ..........

Les, those were the days of the past for most folks. Younger crowd have not done the under the hood with a dim light re-gapping the points just to keep going.

Yea it would be nice to have a newer truck, but at the same time I’m clueless as to how it all works. Sure the basics are there but you need several books and testing equipment in the back country if it happens to quit. Call AAA?

I put my trust in the Toyota that I built and I have been able to get it going because of the intimate knowledge and time invested with it.

At the end of three to four years down the road I’ll be closer to retirement. Then I’ll be in the same shoes as Dirty Dog. Looking for a truck to put a camper on and spend months after months driving and living life out there. It is no easy decisions after reading the “Post of Opinions”, in fact it is scary to spend all that money on something that you are going to trust. Just the other day She said to try a different shampoo, well ok. I went to Wal-Mart and took a look at the wall of products and said I’m outta here. I had her pick one out at Cosco.

That day will come and yes I’ll be asking for opinions, but the buying won’t come as a whim. I’m not a quick decider. I’ll have a Pro, Con list a mile long.

Dirty Dog sounds like you worked out with a list and now the big choice….What color?

What color?

Silver. I would have preferred white to match the camper, but silver is my second choice and it was a heck of a deal.

Salty,
Compared to a Blue Bird or Thomas my Ram is luxurious. As far as crank windows go I've had the electric ones fail more than once on long dirt road trips in Baja but I would like electric door locks. Or in your're case lox. eat fish while you get better.

Les,
The Chevy 6 in my opinion was the best engine ever made but I'm old. My Dodge does worry me since its completely electronically controlled. My back up plan is walk out.

Days Past

...those were the days of the past...

Yep. When US manufacturers built whatever they wanted with little competition. Modern vehicles are, I'd wager, more reliable. The under-the-hood electronics ensure it.

If you've purchased manual transmission, the big 'failure to run' difference is fuel delivery: electric/electronic vs. vacuum/mechanical. For a guy like me it's easier to work on modern fuel systems! Carburetors have lots of moving parts, while fuel injectors have few plus built in diagnostics that can be read from the dash. (And you get redundancy with number of injectors plus 'limp mode'.)

Alternately, a '70s truck can be purchased and rebuilt for equal or less than a new one... There is no value or reason in lamenting what's gone when it isn't! But why buy a '70s truck? The late '60s vehicles were, again, simpler.

(As an aside, don''t try this with an '80s era truck! Oh how I hated the spiderwebs of leaky vacuum hoses!)

Finally, and with all due respect to DD, backpacking is simpler than cycling. Plus you have more time to enjoy scenery. (For those of you unable to physically carry--due to age, illness, etc.--a backpack, may I suggest a burro? :) )

I like my truck.

No one needs some of these rigs for recreation,unless you are towing and then i question it.
Les,Lqhikers

Pretty hard to do this with a gas engine.

Attachments

• i26890[1].jpg
    i26890[1].jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 222
Big Block Gasser

A big block gasser will tow that rig, it'll get about 5mi. to the gallon, and if you don't have a auto. trans you'll be shiftin' your a%# off a soon as you hit a little bump in the road. I have a Bob Cat on a hydraulic dump trailer, about 12000# total weight, lent it to a friend with a new Tundra, while towing my rig he said he got less than 5mi. to the gallon, also the truck now has trans. problems, i'm sure it's the torq. converter, yes some of do need a Diesel truck, I know this for sure, i'm one of em'. I MUST BE NUTS, I LOVE MY 7.3

This is what I started with. 454 Vortec BB. This setup is lighter than my 5th and boat combo. I averaged 3 mpg going to Sturgis SD and on the way home I had to stop and give her a break because I was fighting a wind and it would not come out of second gear. I pulled this exact same setup to the west entrance of Rocky National park with the black duramax, averaged 11mpg. It rarely shifted out of 5th gear. Over 1000 miles only stopping for fuel and quick rest stops. This is when I decided the diesel is the only way to go for me. Don't get me wrong, I have gas rigs also. Just giving my 2 cents becasue the swap between campers and trucks cost me some good cabbage. I for one trust my rigs off road. I have the laptop with me and if I have any troubles I plug it in and the computer tells me whats wrong. For that matter I have a spare ecm in the truck also. Ive been in deeper on the dmax and 454 than I care to go again.
Im my position, I don't always have the luxury of time which I am sure is the case with a lot of people out there. When I go, I load up the child seats and with 3 under the age of 2yrs old I want the advantage of any modern luxury available from my rig.
I really didn't think this discussion was a pissing match! As DD mentioned he is looking for opinions to make a logical decision on what is right for him. I must be backwards though, I use the AC also but often times I have the windows rolled down at the same time.
As and aside - I wonder how the old straight six would do on a smog check.

Attachments

• i23983[1].jpg
    i23983[1].jpg
    65 KB · Views: 212
The Dog's Choice

In my opinion was a good one. He does no towing, he won't have to look at an interior that looks like a school bus, the 5.4 Triton is a very good motor, and some of the dam thing actually was made in the U.S. But I think I would have made em' find me a white one. GOOD LUCK puppy pictures coming soon

Sorry!

As senator Clinton said:" i miss-spoke"
DD enjoy your new rig.
Maybe we need to start a thread around the campfire about bike trips we have taken this old guy has a few!
But do drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les, Lqhikers

No.... No......no

Unless somebody is sturrin' the pot once in a while, more like all the time, half the people here would leave, I don't think anybody should ever apologize for a post no matter how misiformed,lame,or rude it might be.

Salty are you just trying to piss me off or is it a natural talent. Better to have school bus cosmetics than school bus milage. Hows that Ford doing.

Truce!!!

Just Following Orders Sir

Stir the pot he says, then I do what i'm told and now this. In the world of commercial fishing that kind of talent is coveted, I have a group of real pros I have to deal with, this is just good practice. One question though, when you bought that truck, why not yellow?

Catch 22

Due to a recent post I made I can't apologize,so the best I can do is say i'm sorry I can't say i'm sorry, you know what I mean.

Silver. I would have preferred white to match the camper, but silver is my second choice and it was a heck of a deal.

I like white on white, but white on silver should look good too. For a heck of a deal I could settle for silver. Congratulations.

I know what you mean about simplicity. My Dodge I change the oil and thats about it. My Jeep is the essence of simplicity. I doubt theres a nut or bolt on it I've never touched. No fancy electronics. No power anything. But its a good thing its easy to work on. It does break now and then. Truck has only broken once (lift pump) and even then it still limped home.

If you're really paranoid, carry a PLB.

Back
Top Bottom