Add a Fairing for MPG Boost?

Missing Link

I know that many WTW'ers have added a fairing to deflect wind and increase fuel economy. Is anyone using a Yakima fairing? If so, have you seen an MPG increase? If you have seen an increase, which fairing width are you using? I am thinking about adding one. I am not expecting miracles, but every little bit of increased MPG helps. Thanks - Richard

Do you have a Tundra? I was wondering if they would help my tundra and how to install them.

We use a Yakima fairing on our Tacoma to reduce noise and buffeting. We used what was recommended by Yakima. I think it is the 44 inch. It works well. I never checked gas mileage before and after so I don't have any data on that. I don't think it helped a ton. I have found that driving speed makes a huge impact on mileage, likely much more than the fairing.

We use a Yakima fairing on our Tacoma to reduce noise and buffeting. We used what was recommended by Yakima. I think it is the 44 inch. It works well. I never checked gas mileage before and after so I don't have any data on that. I don't think it helped a ton. I have found that driving speed makes a huge impact on mileage, likely much more than the fairing.

^What he said^

We installed our Yak fairing on the regular towers with round bar.

I have a large trailer wind deflector, purchased at a yard sale cheap. Had a lot of wind noise and buffeting on my 2005 Tundra and 2002 Hawk. Huge difference in the wind noise it is gone. Not sure if mileage is much is any difference. Slowing down makes the biggest improvement in mpg. I have a ScanGage and using it helps the mpg. I looked at Yakima wing and towers when I got the 2013 Hawk, they are not cheap. I modified the wing to be more vertical on the 2013 Hawk with the long cabover. Works great.

On my 2002 Hawk
1+Ready+to+hit+the+road.JPG

On my 2013 Hawk
P1120526.jpg

Thanks for your responses. Idahoron, I have a Tacoma but as you can see from billharr and lighthawk, they are available for Tundas as well. We have a long trip coming up and I am hoping to increase overall MPG by driving more slowly and incorporating a few other fuel saving mods. If I move forward with the fairing, I will report back when we return - Richard

I have a Yakima fairing on my 2003 Tundra/Hawk combo, inspired by Lighthawk. Got it used, not sure on the width off-hand. At first I wasn't convinced it did anything, then I took it off and was reminded of how much wind noise I was getting even at low speeds without the fairing. I put it back on and moved it closer to the camper than the Yakima recommendation (which is 6" from the windshield I think) and that helped even more. Still some bucking when I pass semis but overall it is an improvement. I haven't measured mpg but I figure less wind noise = less wind resistance = more efficient. More pleasant to drive is the greater benefit though for me. As others noted, driving slower gives the noticeable mpg gain. Good luck going slow these days though, especially when you get out of CA. I-15 to Utah is like the Autobahn now!

If you want to improve mpg I highly recommend a ScanGauge. Mine paid for it self in my trip around the USA. I knew when I was on a slight down hill and could make some time and when I was into a head wind and had to slow. It give you much more that mpg, temp, volatage and trans temp and more. Plus it is a code reader and can reset your codes.

Where I mounted my ScanGauge.
9+Yellowstone+27+degrees.jpg

Bill, that's not the way you want to get grilled tenderloin!

billharr said:
If you want to improve mpg I highly recommend a ScanGauge. Mine paid for it self in my trip around the USA. I knew when I was on a slight down hill and could make some time and when I was into a head wind and had to slow. It give you much more that mpg, temp, volatage and trans temp and more. Plus it is a code reader and can reset your codes.

Where I mounted my ScanGauge.
9+Yellowstone+27+degrees.jpg

I use a Yakima fairing, It helped quite a bit with noise (as others have stated). I don't think it did anything for my MPG. I agree with the Slow Down method of fuel saving. It does wonders.

Thanks again, everyone - I just bought a Yakima 44" fairing and towers from REI and am installing it today. Leaving tomorrow for a long trip up north. Will report back to this thread upon our return. - Richard

PS: As per everyone's recommendation, I plan to drive slower on this trip to boost MPG

My 14 Dodge has a fuel economy mode which shows you what your MPG is at any given moment via a status bar. It was eye opening for me to see where that fine line was between speed and MPG. It definitely has changed the way I drive on long trips. That being said I averaged around 17 fully loaded this last weekend. I'm pretty happy with that right now.

I think slow speeds do help.I can get about 15/16 mpg when I keep the speed around 60ish or 2000 rpms seems to work. And that's out of an 02 Tundra/Bobcat 4x4.
I think a fairing might help with the wind noise,but I don't get much of that.
Frank

That is how my tundra behaves. If I keep it down around 2000 RPM it will get 15 to 16.

Back
Top Bottom