Adding a stove after initial purchase?

Stringer

Hello,

I bought a new Hawk shell last year. I ordered the propane furnace as part of the build, but elected not to get a stove.

After having had the camper for a bit, I think it would be a nice convenience to have a built in stove, rather than use my camping one. More than anything, I think being able to tap into my propane tanks that I'm already using for the furnace would be really nice.

How hard would it be to do this? I'd probably opt for the Suburban one that is not flush with the countertop. Is it likely something I could pay a dealer to install? I didn't buy my camper from the Denver dealer, but that's the closest one to me at the moment. Thanks!

https://www.campingworld.com/dometic-drop-in-cooktop-117966.html?msclkid=c09b0f10934c1b5865276cd4810e5db6&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=%5Badv%3A%20Camping%20World%5D%20%5Bplt%3A%20Bing%5D%20%5Bfun%3A%20Performance%5D%20%5Bini%3A%20Low%20Margin%5D%20%5Bstr%3A%20PROSP%5D%20%5Btgt%3A%20Shopping%5D%20%5Bcou%3A%20US%5D&utm_term=4580840332249827&utm_content=CW%20-%20Low%20Margin%2020%25%20or%20Less&gclid=c09b0f10934c1b5865276cd4810e5db6&gclsrc=3p.ds

I put this one in mine after the fact. Super, super simple.. I just ran a splitter off the propane tank, cut a hole on the counter above the furnace and was done in 30 minutes.. I like the flush mount as you can still put stuff on it if needed. We mostly cook outside, but it is nice to have the option when the weather is funky..

Everybody has different needs and use-cases, so, you will likely ignore my comment here! I have the exact same situation and plans, but after two years of the camper I'm kinda glad I never got to this one. Simply put...why would I want to have *two* stoves in a camper which is not known for having a ton of storage space.
We have a Eureka two burner stove which we use outside and inside when we need to. And, for us this is easy and more than convenient(again, I get it, everyone is different).
One compromise that could be worth considering is running the propane up to a place where you could easily attach your indoor/outdoor stove. I didn't relish the extra chance for propane leaks and laziness/hiking/mountainbiking as taken precedence.

I guess the only point of my comment here is to suggest that living with what you got a bit before optimizing might have some value. Have fun! See you on the trails.

BBZ said:
https://www.campingworld.com/dometic-drop-in-cooktop-117966.html?msclkid=c09b0f10934c1b5865276cd4810e5db6&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=%5Badv%3A%20Camping%20World%5D%20%5Bplt%3A%20Bing%5D%20%5Bfun%3A%20Performance%5D%20%5Bini%3A%20Low%20Margin%5D%20%5Bstr%3A%20PROSP%5D%20%5Btgt%3A%20Shopping%5D%20%5Bcou%3A%20US%5D&utm_term=4580840332249827&utm_content=CW%20-%20Low%20Margin%2020%25%20or%20Less&gclid=c09b0f10934c1b5865276cd4810e5db6&gclsrc=3p.ds

I put this one in mine after the fact. Super, super simple.. I just ran a splitter off the propane tank, cut a hole on the counter above the furnace and was done in 30 minutes.. I like the flush mount as you can still put stuff on it if needed. We mostly cook outside, but it is nice to have the option when the weather is funky..
That's a great idea. Seems like install wouldn't be too big of a deal. Thank you for the link!

UmkaAndHawk said:
Everybody has different needs and use-cases, so, you will likely ignore my comment here! I have the exact same situation and plans, but after two years of the camper I'm kinda glad I never got to this one. Simply put...why would I want to have *two* stoves in a camper which is not known for having a ton of storage space.
We have a Eureka two burner stove which we use outside and inside when we need to. And, for us this is easy and more than convenient(again, I get it, everyone is different).
One compromise that could be worth considering is running the propane up to a place where you could easily attach your indoor/outdoor stove. I didn't relish the extra chance for propane leaks and laziness/hiking/mountainbiking as taken precedence.

I guess the only point of my comment here is to suggest that living with what you got a bit before optimizing might have some value. Have fun! See you on the trails.
I think you're right on. Rather than having a second stove, rigging a system where I can use the same stove either in or out of the camper would be ideal. I have an adaptor that allows me to hook my 2 burner Camp Chef stove to a (for example) 20 lb propane tank. I've been wanting to avoid using disposable small tanks, or having to haul a separate 20lb tank inside the living space of the camper. If I could run a splitter from my furnace tanks to the inside stove, that would probably be ideal. Now to analyze those propane tanks and figure out the best way to run a new hose into the interior of the camper.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Stringer said:
That's a great idea. Seems like install wouldn't be too big of a deal. Thank you for the link!

I think you're right on. Rather than having a second stove, rigging a system where I can use the same stove either in or out of the camper would be ideal. I have an adaptor that allows me to hook my 2 burner Camp Chef stove to a (for example) 20 lb propane tank. I've been wanting to avoid using disposable small tanks, or having to haul a separate 20lb tank inside the living space of the camper. If I could run a splitter from my furnace tanks to the inside stove, that would probably be ideal. Now to analyze those propane tanks and figure out the best way to run a new hose into the interior of the camper.

Thanks for your thoughts!
you bet.. from our experience, when on longer trips and trying to cook good meals we have found that we sometimes end up using both stoves... rice cooking inside, beans and a protein outside or something like that.. you can find propane splitters on amazon, I actually use one with 3 connections -- one for furnace, one for inside cook top and one for the outside connection for the stove

In order to keep the integrity of the propane cabinet intact, you will want to use a bulkhead fitting to bring the propane line into the interior of the camper.

If you don’t have one already, get a propane detector and install it.

As for the 1 pound disposable tanks, look up Flame King. They sell very expensive refillable tanks. I use these often for the stove.

BBZ said:
you bet.. from our experience, when on longer trips and trying to cook good meals we have found that we sometimes end up using both stoves... rice cooking inside, beans and a protein outside or something like that.. you can find propane splitters on amazon, I actually use one with 3 connections -- one for furnace, one for inside cook top and one for the outside connection for the stove
That is a great idea. Will look into those 3 way splitters!

Vic Harder said:
In order to keep the integrity of the propane cabinet intact, you will want to use a bulkhead fitting to bring the propane line into the interior of the camper.

If you don’t have one already, get a propane detector and install it.

As for the 1 pound disposable tanks, look up Flame King. They sell very expensive refillable tanks. I use these often for the stove.
Awesome info, Vic, thanks. I'm having a hard time imaging the specific bulkhead fitting I'd need. Any chance you have a pic of one? This was gonna be my next problem to solve. Once adding a splitter, how to run the line into the actual cabin interior.

And yeah, LP detectors are big. I had a propane leak in an old RV set up and it was pretty scary. Luckily the LP detector saved me.

Will definitely check out the Flame King products. I like the smaller bottles, but just hate tossing them into the trash. This could solve that problem. I have an adaptor for use with the bigger tanks, but didn't want to have to put one inside my camper interior. Seems a safety risk and also a loss of critical space.

Thanks a bunch.

Stringer said:
Hello,

I bought a new Hawk shell last year. I ordered the propane furnace as part of the build, but elected not to get a stove.

After having had the camper for a bit, I think it would be a nice convenience to have a built in stove, rather than use my camping one. More than anything, I think being able to tap into my propane tanks that I'm already using for the furnace would be really nice.

How hard would it be to do this? I'd probably opt for the Suburban one that is not flush with the countertop. Is it likely something I could pay a dealer to install? I didn't buy my camper from the Denver dealer, but that's the closest one to me at the moment. Thanks!
If you have the furnace you can tap right into the same gas line. If you remove your furnace grill, you will see a brass fitting attached to the cabinet just left of the furnace. It’s already got a spot for the stove line, just need to remove the plug.

I keep getting an error when I try to post a pic. But I’ll try and send it to you via DM.

Chris

I would caution against refilling the green disposable 1 pound tanks. The seal on those is a simple plastic ball. If you do go that route, at minimum get the brass screw on caps as a simple risk mitigation tool.

+1 on not refilling the Coleman etc throw-away cylinders. It may be ok to refill them & use on your property but it isn’t lawful to transport them after refilling them.

Flame King cylinders are ok to refill and transport. You could buy several of the Flame King cylinders and a refill kit and refill them from your camper bulk propane as needed. Search for “refillable 1 lb propane cylinder”

One example:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/1-lb-Refillable-Propane-Cylinder-with-Refill-Adapter-Kit-Ships-Empty/

Paul

Back
Top Bottom