Adding Shore Power and Fuse Panels

TrapperMike

Advanced Member
This forum has been great! I did a google search of the forum prior to posting this, but was unsuccessful in finding what I was looking for. So, if anyone has can find a link to an older post it would be much appreciated.

I recently had my new FWC Hawk Shell installed and now it is off the truck and sitting on the dolly. I have things taken apart on the interior while in the process of making some modifications. The first two modifications are the Trimetric 2030 battery monitor and the Iota DLS-30 battery charger (with the IQ4). I had dual batteries installed. The only things I am powering are lights, Engel chest type refrigerator, and furnace for now, may add a radio/CD player at a later date.

Anyhow, my question regards adding shore power and the necessary fusing for the Iota. Everything else in the camper will be run off the batteries and the only 120 power input will be for the Iota battery charger. I tend to camp in one spot for several days for hunting/fishing and usually in the woods, so for now, solar power is out and my supplemental power is with a Honda EU2000i generator.

Here are the questions I have:
  1. The Iota manual indicates I need a Type III circuit breaker on the DC output side between the charger and battery. Anyone have a link where I can purchase one of these? I don't live by a big city where there are RV supply stores (maybe the local auto store would have such a thing?).
  2. I assume I also need an upstream 120AC circuit breaker between the shore power and the Iota. Anyone have a link to a nice small one that takes up little space?
  3. I need to install a shore power outlet to plug the generator to supply the Iota with power. I could just go through one of the turnbuckle doors, but letting in critters and cold air is not what I want. So, I recently purchased one of these Marinco On-Board Charger Inlets. However, I don't like it since it is only made to go through a 1/2 inch wall (with the lock nut on the backside). Does anyone have a recommendation for a different power inlet? I think I can figure out on my own how to find a spot to install it. Either through the drivers side camper wall or on the underside of the little camper overhang outside the bed of the truck.
Thanks much for any advice and assistance and if you need more information before replying, let me know.

Mike

AC-inlet-Hawk-small.jpg

On my 2014 Hawk, driver's side near rear corner are the outside shower door with the AC inlet just to its left.

Paul

ps. Sorry it's a little fuzzy cell phone image.

Mike,

I am actually not very familiar with the wiring in the shell models. I am assuming you already have a fuse box and system in place for the 12 volt circuits you already have?

I would recommend looking into the Blue Sea products. They have high quality products that seem to last a long time.

The IOTA battery charger/converter is a nice product at a reasonable price. It is probably the best product for our needs and that price.

I would recommend you talk to FWC about some of your needs like the 110 power inlet. They will sell all of those items and ship them to you. This might save you a bunch of time looking into other places to find them. And then your camper would have similar equipment to other FWCs.

I'd love to see pictures of your electrical build out once you get going!

TrapperMike said:
Here are the questions I have:
  1. The Iota manual indicates I need a Type III circuit breaker . . .
  2. I assume I also need an upstream 120AC circuit breaker . . .
  3. I need to install a shore power outlet . . .

Mike
Mike,

A type 3 breaker is a manually resetable (push button) circuit breaker. An auto parts store might have or be able to get one. Or, a fuse would work. My DLS30 has an internal 30 amp fuse on the output, an no circuit breaker between it and battery (2004 FWC installed).

A small breaker box from your local hardware store will suffice for the AC breaker. Tie your battery ground and the AC safety ground together, DO NOT bond the neutral and ground together.

It seems to me some campers are equipped 30 amp shore power, some 15 amp. I downgraded mine from 30 to 15 amp, deleting the heavy cord that wasn't detachable. The 30 amp inlets seemed pretty expensive for the little use I had (like you, mainly the Iota when at home). I used a 15 amp male connector I had laying around, fitted into the existing sidewall box. I like your idea of mounting underneath, maybe you could use a small aluminum panel to mount it on to get around the 1/2" thickness.

Here's a couple of pictures on my build thread.

Thanks for the reply's.

DrJ - I've looked into the Blue Sea products and their catalog contains a lot of great stuff. I'll post pics of the install once I figure it all out and get going on it. My shell model does have the fuse panel for all the 12V circuits located on the drivers side about where the wheel well is.....and the truck/camper battery separator is located there also. I probably won't worry too much about installing the same power inlet that FWC does, since when I get it working, I'll be holding on to this camper for a long time. I like Wuck's idea of just installing a 15A power inlet.

Wuck - My DLS-30 Iota also has an internal 30A fuse and I was a bit confused why the Iota manual says I need another between the Iota and the battery. I'll contact Iota for clarification and post the reply they give me. I'll email you on some further questions I have regarding your reply and post the the final results once I get it all clear in my mind.

Thanks Everyone!

Mike, here is a pic of the ground bus in my Hawk, next to the battery separator. I've rewired it a bit since this shot was taken, but the idea remains the same. The truck/camper battery negatives, the DC load negatives, and AC safety ground all return to this point.

P1010669r.JPG

I'm planning on removing the converter (that I have down-graded to just a power panel since I found it boiling the batteries) and fabricating a simple power panel. I bought a Blue Seas fuse block for the 12 VDC circuits and one Blue Seas 120 VAC toggle type 15A panel mount circuit breaker for the AC circuit (charger and one outlet). One flat panel will mount both. If I recess them it will be an even cleaner install.
Image shows a 50A, but the selection starts at 5A and goes up from there.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea-systems--ce-world-circuit-breakers--P002413698

P002413698_FUL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom