Additonal Sleeping Platform Mod in Panther?

jgustine

New the forum as I've just started process of getting my ATC build started. We have been pop-up campers for awhile, but are big rafters and mountain people that ready are to leave the campgrounds behind for good!

Anyway, it's me, my wife and 2 boys (11 and 7) so I am looking at a slightly modified Panther to ride in my tundra 6.5 ft bed. I was thinking of asking Marty if they could build a removable platform that would go over the sink/stove area and sit flush with the top of the refer cabinet (or I could do the mod after). Ideally this platform could be my table top as well. See attached photos, sorry for the crude markup

Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG

Panther owners...Does this sound feasible for a kiddos sleeping spot? How wide is the counter on the driver side? Has anyone done anything like this or added a 4th sleeping platform in any other way?

One more...External propane hookup for a grill/stove...Doable?

Thanks for any insight and I'm pumped to be part of this great forum.

James

It is absolutely doable. I'm sure ATC could make a two piece cushion to fit the counter top and it would travel stacked on top of the stove/sink area. I have the over cab bed extension on my Panther and that is where the cushions travel. Mine is the standard size extended bed.

My camper isn't here at the house so I can't measure it but I'm thinking the counter top must be at least 24" wide.

Another option would be to have ATC do a 24" extension on the over cab bed and sleep north/south. In a Panther that bed would be >80" wide and you could sleep 3 people on the bed.

Propane - On my old FTC camper, I added a T where the hose connects to the tank connector. The T allowed me to connect coleman type hose to operate a stove or grill.

Marshall%20Tee.jpg

I've gotten to where I carry a small 5lb cylinder for outside use. It fits under the bench. But I'm thinking of adding a mount to carry it on the outside back wall.

AT-5-lb-propane-bracket-1__29364.1405342276.1280.1280_1024x1024.jpg

We use a "y" connector on the propane tank to hook up our camp stove outside. Leave the hose connected and coil it up inside the propane box. We have an adapter to also use the small 1 lb bottles when we want to cook away from the camper.

How about asking them to put a grandby sized front dinette into the camper? This is essentially the size of a double bed. The kids could sleep side by side down below, and you'd have a table for four (albeit a tight one!)
fwc15.jpg

Or a rollover couch mounted to the front wall could also provide sleeping for two on the lower level.
b2588fe2aba4a4e19973ca9c7580bec5.jpg

I like the grandby sized front dinette alot, but I don't think it would be doable in a 6.5 foot bed ( and I don't want to roll with the tailgate open. I'll see what Marty thinks about the removable platform/table and update this thread.

Propane: Probably just gonna put a T on the propane tank and keep the hose rolled up in the compartment. Just need to make sure and get the awning on the propane tank side so I can set up my outdoor kitchen under it.

Thank again all!

I can't imagine the logistics of using that space to sleep would work out very well. First of all it is very narrow and higher so would be hard to climb up and down on. Also you would have no storage space for anything inside the camper when bedtime came around. You'd have to clear off the entire countertop and the only remaining space would be the floor walkway.

How about a drop-down bunk that would go over the roll out couch or side dinette area?

Good point fireball. I asked ATC about a murphy bed style option, which they said wouldn't work. This would be perfect, but I'm not sure how you would pull it off with a soft sided camper.

rv-fold-down-bed-lance-review-truck-camper-magazine-up-couch.jpg

jgustine said:
Good point fireball. I asked ATC about a murphy bed style option, which they said wouldn't work. This would be perfect, but I'm not sure how you would pull it off with a soft sided camper.

attachicon.gif
rv-fold-down-bed-lance-review-truck-camper-magazine-up-couch.jpg
You have the right idea, just "upside down". You need to support it from below. You pictured flexible straps from above. For a popup, you need rigid struts from below.

What options are you having ATC put in the camper? The campers have a lot of usable space and can easily suit your needs if you plan it out right. I’ve built out a hawk shell and a panther shell and both would easily sleep two adults and two kids with a decent amount of storage. The layout that FWC and ATC is good for most but doesn’t fit everyone’s needs. ATC is very accommodating to custom builds and is ultimately why I went with ATC over FWC. I have some time today and will update my post so you can get a better look at my camper, it might help to strike an idea. The post is new all terrain shell build. Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

jasona said:
What options are you having ATC put in the camper? The campers have a lot of usable space and can easily suit your needs if you plan it out right. I’ve built out a hawk shell and a panther shell and both would easily sleep two adults and two kids with a decent amount of storage. The layout that FWC and ATC is good for most but doesn’t fit everyone’s needs. ATC is very accommodating to custom builds and is ultimately why I went with ATC over FWC. I have some time today and will update my post so you can get a better look at my camper, it might help to strike an idea. The post is new all terrain shell build. Feel free to hit me up with any questions.
ok. I would like a ocelot
78” shell, no propane with smaller windows. Want to build it with side dinette, solar power, 10 gal fresh water, and compressor fridge. Must be able to hold 2 trail bicycles and sleep at least 3.

Not exactly sure what your question is. It seems like your looking to do a fairly simple build. I’m a huge fan of the pull out wrap around couch rather than a dinette. It’s easier to build and has more seating/storage room expecially if you’re looking to sleep 3, it also has room for 3 to sit. I have given it a fair amount of thought on my build and ultimately decided to not do a sink or fridge. If I was going to I would place a small fridge in the back passengers corner and a sink on top of that. A Coleman stove fits nicely on the ledge in front of the window (at least on a panther). For the table I used a standard RV table leg, mounts, and laminated piece of plywood that seconds as a counter fastened to the ledge below the passengers window. Take a look at my build thread. It’s pretty vague but if you would like any additional phots or have any questions I’m happy to help.

My old cabin cruiser had a port side couch right behind the v-berth bulkhead. The back of which would hinge upward and that would turn the couch into two narrow bunks. I used to love napping in the upper bunk because you could see out the windows if someone stopped by. If your camper is long enough it would be pretty easy to build and you would have a lot of storage under the seat area because that would be hinged too. It also would not encroach on the floor space if mom and dad needed to get out of bed at night for some reason.

I'm contemplating a new ATC shell at the moment and have this same issue. My 2 kids are small right now, but they'll soon be big, so I'd like to have a way for the camper to actually sleep 4 adults. I'm thinking a rollover couch on one side, and then an east-west bed platform right above the rear door. It would be pretty much the same as the pull out extension for the cabover bed, as far as construction goes, sitting on ledges all the way around. It would also flip up toward the back of the camper, so would sit vertical when not being used as a bed. It could also be removed completely when not needed for some trips. When the top is down, it would be in the sleeping position, and when the top is popped up, you just flip it up against the roof supports.
I don't know of anyone who has an ATC near me, and I'm in Canada, so a bit of a drive from ATC headquarters. Anyone have any reasons why this might not work?

Lyndon said:
I'm contemplating a new ATC shell at the moment and have this same issue. My 2 kids are small right now, but they'll soon be big, so I'd like to have a way for the camper to actually sleep 4 adults. I'm thinking a rollover couch on one side, and then an east-west bed platform right above the rear door. It would be pretty much the same as the pull out extension for the cabover bed, as far as construction goes, sitting on ledges all the way around. It would also flip up toward the back of the camper, so would sit vertical when not being used as a bed. It could also be removed completely when not needed for some trips. When the top is down, it would be in the sleeping position, and when the top is popped up, you just flip it up against the roof supports.
I don't know of anyone who has an ATC near me, and I'm in Canada, so a bit of a drive from ATC headquarters. Anyone have any reasons why this might not work?
Lyndon,
I think it is doable. I have an ATC Panther which is their widest model. I am 6'2" and can sleep across the camper.

Here are some pictures so you can see if there is enough room. You need to allow enough room for the lift panels to fold. One disadvantage would be entry since you would have to duck to get through the door as well as under the bunk. You might need to leave out the small slider cabinets above the bench seat since that cabinet may be too high for fitting the bunk. Keep in mind that I had several customization done when my camper was built like the back two pantries and the sink stove combo....

See how you have space between the fridge/pantry cabinet and the lift panel hinge.
20170612_111203-L.jpg

And in the front the bed cushion is right up to the lift panel hinge.
004-L.jpg

Here is the passenger side. Note that the pantry is not standard. I had ATC shorten the bench so that the pantry would fit. Also, see how that small slider cabinet above the window is high on the wall. It may be in the way of a rear bunk but ATC could leave it out.

20170612_111255-L.jpg

Here is another idea. They used to use a front seat cot on the old VW Westy campers and that might be a possibility as well. The cot poles would fit into brackets on the walls.
westyfrontcot.jpg

Also remember that ATC can do modifications. If you want to try and add the rear bunk, make sure they know about it. My Panther was made to fit on a Tundra. Some dimensions may be different depending on the truck it is for. The Tundra has a deep bed so the camper is was made to fit that.

Good luck finding your perfect camper...

Back
Top Bottom