Adequate Hawk Install?

Karlton

Hi there - after the recent threads about campers pulling through truck beds, I evaluated the install of my 2017 Hawk on my 2019 Silverado 2500HD. What I found wasn't encouraging. The front eye bolts are installed with a solid backing plate, but the rear are installed just with a washer. It seems the contour of the wheel well prevents a backing plate install.

I'd like more surface area support in the back, but I'm unsure of what to do here. The camper was installed at Boise Spring Works, which is associated with FWC Jackson Hole. So, the guys that installed it are certainly experienced with FWCs. Any suggestions here to modify the install for more support?

IgYrj2Tl.jpg

It is hard to tell from one photo, but it looks like you could look at options for mounting to that frame member between the spare tire and the spring pack.

Paul

Paul...I would bet that the box of the Hawk would not allow angling down to frame member...you can take it back and ask politely for installation of the same "plates" they used on the front mounting points on the rear..or, I would just install stout plates myself; seems like access is good to remove those washers...might even ask them to send you the plates needed.

I assume the truck has a steel bed? Looks like nice undercoating!

Phil

Thanks for the input. The Silverado HD does have a 'high strength' steel bed. I think I'll mock up some steel plate shapes from cardboard and see if the install shop can cut some for me to give it a bit more backing.

Cheers

Looks like you have room for more backing. Remember you can have multiple plates stacked and the bolt hole does not have to go through the center. For example you can have a larger section of sheet that is formed to shape to match the underside contour. Then some smaller plates below and finally the nut and washer. You can form the sheet with a big hammer by trial and fit.

Yeah they had more leeway with angles of where to place that hole. I bet they miscalculated.

As stated above you do not need dead center location of the through hole for a backing plate. Yes it is perferable but...

Karlton

I can't say how they did the install for sure, but on many of the Chevy trucks, at least one of the rear eye bolts goes through the mounting supports for the truck bed, as well as through the truck bed itself. Usually in the rear / driver's side corner from what I remember. If you are worried, you could pull the eye bolt out and see how long it is? If the eye bolt is really long, you probably won't need a backing plate, as the bolt is going through the truck bed, and also through one of the channels that hold the bed to the frame. It's a very secure spot.

If the eye bolt is short, then adding a backing plate could be helpful. As it is probably only going through the truck bed.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• short long eye bolt.jpg
    short long eye bolt.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 60
The bolt on the OP’s truck is through the wheel well corner. No frame in that corner on my very similar truck. That bolt should have been placed further to the rear in the bed floor a few inches aft of the wheel well part of the bed. Here is a photo of where I placed mine, which allowed use of a 4x6 backing plate and was forward of the camper rear flare. The file attachment process often rotates my pictures, but you are looking at the right rear eye bolt, and the corner seam you see is forward and to the right of the bolt. You can see the rear part of the wheel well in the picture. I’m pretty sure your 2019 bed structure would be the same as my 2021 in that area.

Note that the previous photo I posted of the backing plate was showing the left rear backing plate installation, which is identical to the right, but the photos would be confusing if you didn’t know one was right side and the other was left side.

Attachments

• C9957048-DB23-4312-97A5-095616F9D748.jpeg
    C9957048-DB23-4312-97A5-095616F9D748.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 70
This should help you. Official factory video on eyebolt installation. You will see what I and others mean that the original installers had more leeway/angle...

ETA - Weird the youtube link is not showing up. Search for "Four Wheel Camper Eye Bolt Installation" and you will find it.

Thanks again. Here is the bed location of the eye bolt. Based on what Jon said, the eye bolt should have been placed in the location with a red X to provide a backing plate. However, when I look under the truck, there is a lot more going on than under my old Tundra. I've shown the approx location of the moved eye bolt and indicated the back of the truck. I guess what I have to reconcile is...do I roll as is or go back to the shop and ask them about moving it?

mInoCXul.jpg
udY262hl.jpg

The construction of your bed is different from mine. Mine had a welded seam between the floor and wall and between the floor and wheel well. Your wall, wheel well, and outer floor panel are stamped from one piece, so you have curves to deal with that I didn’t. Also, your bed floor beam is right there whereas mine has about 5” between the bean and the wheel well.

I think if I was doing the installation on your truck I would put the eye bolt through that bed floor beam. However, I would discuss it with the installer. They may have seen a reason they couldn’t go through that beam.

Sorry for creating confusion. I assumed our beds were similarly constructed.

Karlton,

'17 Hawk owner here, mounted on a RAM.

Upon getting my camper home from the dealer, I removed it to a pre-constructed dolly & 're-did' the dealer-installed eyebolts/washers/plates (all washers/plates were flex-sealed on one side prior to reassembly).

I also replaced the barely-adequate turnbuckles with US made forged steel of the correct length (no more carabiner 'extenders'). They are zinc-plated with forged pins in jaw-to-jaw ends (3/8" iirc). These turnbuckles are rated at 2250 lbs/ea compared to the 475lb/ea of the originals. I greased the new turnbuckle threads and snugged them down carefully, using a lock nut to keep the turnbuckle fixed.

In summary, I highly recommend that you familiarize yourself with your mounting components / configuration, and if possible, make the fix yourself that YOU KNOW would make it right. While your in there, think about upgrading components for peace of mind.

I know I've seen a video on here where a member had his recently-installed FWC fall off his truck in the high desert somewhere. Reading the recovery story is a nice read!

Back
Top Bottom