Advice: Preping new camper

Some thoughts from another new owner.....

Allow a lot of time for the walkthrough. Mine took about 2.5 hours - I was assuming 1 hours. Total install was from 11:00 to 4:30pm. Most of it is just lawyer CYA stuff, but they will not let you skip any of it.

The water system does need to be sanitized before use - just use water bottles it is alot easier.

As others have said the fridge will drain your batteries pretty quick. Good plan to use icebox.

The new propane tanks that come with the camper will need to be PURGED - not just filled. Plan to go a an actual propane dealer or RV store (there is a Camping World in Vacaville) that will do a PURGE before they are filled. The tanks a filled with air and need to pumped out to vacuum before they are filled to work properly. If they are not purged before they are filled they will likely still work, but they can cut off unexpectedly. See - http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id45.html

Hmmm, I think my walkthrough was more half an hour but I was ready to hop in and go. Not sure how long they "wanted" to take :)

cdbrow1 said:

Allow a lot of time for the walkthrough. Mine took about 2.5 hours - I was assuming 1 hours. Total install was from 11:00 to 4:30pm. Most of it is just lawyer CYA stuff, but they will not let you skip any of it.

The water system does need to be sanitized before use - just use water bottles it is alot easier.

As others have said the fridge will drain your batteries pretty quick. Good plan to use icebox.

The new propane tanks that come with the camper will need to be PURGED - not just filled. Plan to go a an actual propane dealer or RV store (there is a Camping World in Vacaville) that will do a PURGE before they are filled. The tanks a filled with air and need to pumped out to vacuum before they are filled to work properly. If they are not purged before they are filled they will likely still work, but they can cut off unexpectedly. See - http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id45.html
That is very good info. Thanks!

cdbrow1 said:

Thanks for the info. I figured it would be a couple of hrs. 11:00 to 4:30 pm is 5 1/2 hrs. Is there a typo?

Back
Top Bottom