Advise Need on 2015 Dodge Ram Power Train Issues

FishBamboo

Advanced Member
I have a 2015 Dodge Ram 1500, 4x4, 3.6 V6 with 72k miles. I purchased new. Vehicle has a 100,000 power train warranty. I installed Firestone airbags and Rancho 9000 shocks. Also purchased new in 2015 a pop up camper and was on the truck. Camper weight 1260# with water and propane.

Problem: 3 months ago had front axles changed as I had bad clicking when turning left. Dealer said it was right axle and replaced it. (Note the sound seemed as it was from the left. There was some very slight play in the left Axle. I was able to move the left CV axle by hand at differential recreating the click and advised dealer). After replacing the right front axle the dealer called and said to pick up the truck as the issue was fixed. Drove off the lot and 5 minutes later was back at the dealer as the problem was not fixed and was even worse. 3 weeks later another axle was delivered and they replace the left. Drove off and was happy until I went off road in 4x4 clicking again but very random. Checked axle for play and is now tight. Advised dealer however they are not concerned as they don't hear it. Also clicks random in reverse. About the same time I noticed a change in vibration and road noise. The dealer advised me I would need new front hubs. However they advised me they are not under warranty and will cost $800. So I replaced the bearings myself and still had the sound so I put the old bearings back and advised the dealer it was not the Hubs. Sheesh

Update: The vibration got worse. Vibration starts around 35ish and the sound got much louder. 4 weeks ago I took it in to dealer as I was thinking the drive line. They agreed and after another 3 weeks wait for the new drive line they put it in and called to say they wanted it over night. They said they fixed it however still has a slight vibration over 55. The next day the dealer called to advised me they believed my camper was to heavy and the fact that I put the Firestone airbags and Rancho 9000 shocks on have caused the drive line to be 5 deg. off causing the vibration and sound. The specs say it needs to be withing 3 deg. They stated that they will not work on it any more under warranty saying I have altered the vehicle. Note the vibration and noise still occurs at 35ish. So they did not fix anything. However I have a new shinny drive line and u joints.
I removed the camper, and airbags. I checked the drive line and it is now 6 deg. off. Note I measured the heights of the vehicle when stock prior to the camper, Ranchos, and airbags. The airbags are only used to return the truck back to the stock height after camper is installed. I also advised the dealer of this.

Problem 3: While under my vehicle I noticed both front axles are tilting the wrong way I think. Both front axles a angled from the wheel downward to the differential.( 0\ D /0 )
I have always thought that my front end is low for a 4x4 however just noticed the axles.

I know there are several great tech guys on this site. Can anyone help with advise? Any ideas on cause and cure. Am I correct the front axles are angled the wrong way? Love my truck but getting close to telling them they can keep it. I called the manufacturer. They says if there are anything but stock shocks installed it would void the power train warranty. Wow really?? I call B.S. Has anyone had there warranty cancelled for airbags and aftermarket shocks?
Thanks
Fishbamboo

1/2 ton with a 3.6 and a 15000# (wet) camper doesn't add up. You need more truck.

Hello fishbamboo
Not an expert so take with grain of salt. Read you warranty it will say what is covered and not covered. If you can't find where what dealership told you. Ask them to show you where in writing it says that. Running rancho shocks and them saying it voids the warrant, is like not using dodge oil or it will void the warranty. This is simply not true. If you alter the vehicle say with a lift kit or tuner for power enhancement maybe yes. I how ever say BS on the shocks thing.

Russ

PS welcome to WtW

FishBamboo said:
. . .
Problem 3: While under my vehicle I noticed both front axles are tilting the wrong way I think. Both front axles a angled from the wheel downward to the differential.( 0\ D /0 ) I have always thought that my front end is low for a 4x4 however just noticed the axles . . .
What you are describing with problem 3 is king pin inclination angle or KPI. If true, it should handle like crap and wear tires out fast. I would suggest having a competent 4X4 alignment shop look at it.

jim

JaSAn said:
What you are describing with problem 3 is king pin inclination angle or KPI. If true, it should handle like crap and wear tires out fast. I would suggest having a competent 4X4 alignment shop look at it.

jim
Hi Jim,
Yes tires are wearing very fast. Outside wear. Good call.
Thanks
Fishbamboo

You have way more patience than me, after the second time to the DEALER I'D tell them to pound sand. This should be a BBB and manufacturer complaint issue.
They want brand loyalty but won't bend on simple mechanical problem. I had a problem with a Ford dealership , after two one hundred mile round trips and two full days off work.. did not sit well with me.
Their not all bad but there's plenty.
Rant over!

Back
Top Bottom