Air Bag brands

Thanks NTSQD

You have really explained it in a way that I understand it. The bottom line for me is the rear brake lock up issue. I am a very conservative driver. I just don't seem to wear brakes out. I do intend to keep the camper on full time but would prefer to not have to mess with adjusting the lever.

If I go with the Timbrens will the bed sag or will the rubber Timbren boot keep it level?

The tire dealer has checked with their corporate office and they gave the OK to put the Firestone ride rites on. Its my decision.

If any 1st gen Tundras owners have had good luck with the airbags I would sure appreciate encouragement.

Thanks for the help

I've had AirLift kit #59530 on my 2003 Tundra for about ten years now with no issues. I've been carrying a very heavy Northstar on it and haven't held back too much on taking it off road. I also have two extra leaf springs on each stack (done by Santa Maria Spring). Should be more than enough to offset the weight of the Hawk that I'm working on right now.

"If any 1st gen Tundras owners have had good luck with the airbags I would sure appreciate encouragement."

I have bags on mine. Did a Mojave and Death Valley trip with bags installed. No problems. Read about the bolt issues, so I added Daystar cradles. I have taken a couple of trips into the California coastal mountains. Forest service roads gave the suspension a work out. No problems. During this time frame I've also made 3 trips hauling overloaded 6x12 U-Haul trailers from Spokane,Wa. to Santa Barbara,Ca. @ 1,200 miles each trip. No problems! If/when problems arise I will post my findings for sure.

I have a set of firestone bags and after 3 years one of the metal brackets bent enough to cause the bag to leak. Replacing it with another bag and bracket will likely give me the same result in time. I like the air bags ability to adjust to the multiple situations but need a heavy duty bracket, I can easily bend the existing firestone bracket with a small bar.....that is not good.
I do not want to go with springs because of the stiff ride without loads,and not possible to adjust.
What else is available?

Newbie, take a look at Boss air bags. They're the most solid bags I've seen. We have them on the JATAC and have abused them on tough trails in the Sierra Madre in Mexico with zero ill effects. The hardware is solid; the bags themselves have a working load range to 160 psi but are tested to 750 (we normally run around 60). The North America rep, Reece Tasker, is also very knowledgable and helpful. Here's the website:

Boss

Here's a writeup:

JATAC

Back
Top Bottom