Air Bag Question Again

I know this is an old post, but on a previous truck/TC problem that i had, I solved all of my problems by adding in a very inexpensive solution... Some 3" bump stops from a company called Rocky Mountain Suspension. I had a dually, with airbags, and the TC was so heavy I'd still pitch and roll. The new bump stops smoothed it right out.

On another note... In my garage, unopened from delivery (about 7 freaking years ago) is a set of Super Springs. They are for about a 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew. I'd have to look at them to get their exact application, but if anybody is looking for SupSprings, I'd sell them cheap. I ended up switching to the dually right after I got them, and well, a few weeks ends up a decade.... PM me if anybody has an interest.

Hey all.

I called the "local" (45 miles) dealer who carries Air-lift & Timbren (and who can also get/install pac and ride rites) and told him my set up and he recommended the Timbrens for my Tundra.

I have to take the superspring off...so the drive over the pass on Monday on just the factory suspension and the return trip with the timbrens installed should offer a decent comparison between the two in a short period of time.

mtn

With much trepidation, I thought I'd ressurect this thread with an update...:rolleyes:

I ran out of time and didn't get the supersprings removed before the appt. to have the Timbrens installed.

When I showed up 2 guys came out and looked at my truck. After a short conversation they told me they could (a) take off the Supersprings and install the timbrens in their place... or (b) both agreed....though they had never done it previously... that they could install the Timbrens with the Supersprings in place by mounting the Timbren on the bump stop above pointing down rather than on the axle pointing up.

Before doing the work they brough the owner of the establishment out and he also took a look/agreed that it would work....and told me if it was too stiff he'd reverse everything for no charge/etc. (in this combination there is almost no gap before the Timbren contacts and begins to work)

45 minutes later they were installed....and off I went.

The process of buying the (unfurnished) house in NM entailed moving a bit of stuff down that way...so this was definitely a true test of the ride, sway, and "bottoming out" factor of the new set up as i loaded up both the usual equipment and various boxes full of kitchen gear, books, tools, and clothing.

After 900+ miles this past week...I can honestly say I'm completely happy with the results. The ride is stiff but not rough...and the occasional "loping" (never-ending bounce on concrete sections) is nearly absent. In the sway Dept...the truck corners almost too well.... LOL. My son was following me all the way and commented how little the truck swayed from side to side, and while parked/camped the feel was much firmer underfoot. In the bottoming out scenario...which was the initial catalyst of this purchase...I found 2 instances during the trip where I know I would have heard the "thunk" of the upper bolts on the Supersprings racking on the frame but the Timbrens kept things in check and absorbed the compression well.

Heck...it almost acts and feels like a "real" truck now.... :thumb:

drive safely, all....

mtn

Congratulatons. Now lets talk about tie downs.
Personally, I favor bolt-thu. That tie down business is for asphalt drivers. :p

Back
Top Bottom