Air bags out .....springs in?

My airbags were a pain in the ass... broken in one way or another almost every trip. Replaced them with Timbrens and haven't given it another thought.

If your airbags are Firestone Ride-Rite or similar, be aware that any serious off roading may break the bolts or otherwise rip them loose. The problem is that they are mounted top and bottom and with serious articulation they get stretched, they are made for a compression load, not to be stretched. They were fine as long as I stayed on the road, but not suited to any significant off road use in my opinion. Mine are now removed and in a box.
I'm really pretty bummed because it was forum research and the fact that four wheel camper recommends the airbags that swung my decision to buy them in the first place. I'm going on the Mojave Trail myself in two weeks, I scrapped the airbags before they messed up a second trip. Deaver Springs reworked my stock springs today, re-arching them and adding two leaves. I'm back to pre camper height and the ride is far better than I had with the bags at any air pressure,

They are Firestone Ride-Rite, I can see what you mean by being stretched, but so far no problem. This last week drove to start of Piute Gorge Trail, about 25 miles of dirt each way, truck ride improved with new shocks and left block in rear. Air bags set to 26 PSI on drivers side, and 18 on passenger side.

What I like about air bags is when I add motorcycle rack and motorcycle to hitch, I can add some air to hold additional load. If and when the air bags fail, then I will go to custom springs. Suspension works best if I keep just enough air PSI in air bags to work with springs, if I put too much air psi in air bags they take load off springs and it rides like it has no suspension in rear.

Back
Top Bottom