airbag help needed

lqhikers

just picked up our new 2008 tacoma trd access cab 4x4. retiring our 2002 4x4 tacoma 4 banger.now i have a problem.removed airbags from o2 and found out that the spring placement is different ,o2 springs are even with frame,08 springs are offset towards the outside of frame. no problem on passenger side just have to make bracket to work as spacer as shock is on the front side of axle,but on drivers side shock is mounted on rear of axle so when air bag is placed on spring it contacts shock,enough that i would think it could cause problems ,trd package shock is a bilstein thin tube so any after market shock would bind for sure.i tried placing bag on front of axle but bag the hits gas tank not a good idea!,also i don't know how having 1 bag on front and 1 bag on back of axle would work (air bags are firestone ride rites (double donut shaped) if any body has solved this problem or knows where to find the answer i sure could use the help.i tend to think if i called firestone i might get the run around or they would only sell a complete new kit if they have one for 2008,last time i questioned them i got blown off. drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

lg,

Congratulations on the new Tacoma. I just ordered the Ride-Rite kit for my truck and will be installing in the next few weeks. I can't help you with your retrofit but would be interested in any suggestions or advice you might have on the '02 Tacoma install. The instructions seem fairly straightforward but the reality is not always that way. Thanks.

air bag question answered

thanks jimjxsn and dln. after posting question i found the info you Jimjxsn posted and the wife said she would buy me a new set for the 2008 tacoma so she would not have to put up with me trying to fit set from 2002 tacoma! dln in regards to mounting firestone kit on 2002 tacoma its pretty straight forward,you do have to drill frame on each side for two mounting bolts, in a previous post i related how i broke a frame on tacoma where brackets mount to frame,i suggest to anyone that adds kit to 2002 style tacoma to box in frame on passenger side (drivers side is boxed in that area to hold brake valve fitting) i don't know if firestone has changed brackets to take care of this or not. i will take pictures of the install on the 2008 tacoma.just ordered set today so it will be a few days before i install.drive slow and enjoy (its going to be hard now that i have a v/6 6 speed!) "its the journey"

Thanks for the response lq, I'll keep you posted on the install. I think you (or your wife) made the right decision on the air bag kit.

lq's wife

LQ,

Sounds like your wife is pretty sharp on letting you modify some things.:)

I would suggest the electric pump if she is going camping with you.:)

Most opinions on the thread are from the male half of the duo and you can throw those out the window when the better half starts using the sink.:D

Most opinions on the thread are from the male half of the duo and you can throw those out the window when the better half starts using the sink.:D
Do you know why women are so powerful?

They have half the money, and ALL the "better half". ;)

Mike

Do you know why women are so powerful?

They have half the money, and ALL the "better half". ;)

Mike

Half the money??? Most married couples that I know, if the husband tried to sign his paycheck the bank would call it a forgery.

What is your secret if you get to keep half, I think most on the thread would like to know??

Half the money??? Most married couples that I know, if the husband tried to sign his paycheck the bank would call it a forgery.

What is your secret if you get to keep half, I think most on the thread would like to know??
My wife is 10.5 years younger than me (I am 59) and I retired in Dec 1999.

So, my wife is the only one making money... I am spending money... hello new ATC camper! :D

Mike

My wife is 10.5 years younger than me (I am 59) and I retired in Dec 1999.

So, my wife is the only one making money... I am spending money... hello new ATC camper! :D

Mike

My new hero:)

Ride-rites and Supersprings on a 2005 Tacoma

I have a 2005 Tacoma 4x4 to carry my ancient rebuilt FWC Fleet and found I had to do several suspension modifications before I got it right. I now have modified Supersprings with Ride-Rite air lifts mounted on top of them. No more banging on the bump stops with camper installed. The stock Tacoma springs are fairly weak and need help. Let me know if you need info as to how fit both .

nixfwc,
Welcome to the board. I carry my camper full time so I started the suspension upgrade on my truck with an add-a-leaf, then heavier shocks, but the final and absolutely critical component was the Ride-Rite air bags. They do make all the difference in ride, adjustability, and leveling. So now that you've posted it's time for the mandatory pictures, I'd love to see the old reconditioned FWC. Enjoy.

Stirring the Pot

Now if you guys had real trucks, like a Dodge or Ford Diesel, you wouldn't have to make all those mods..Just drop the camper on and go..;)

Stir?

Stir…Stir…Stir…. I had my leaf packs taken apart and added two leafs opposite the load spring. That worked well until I added the Chevy V-8 and needed new springs for the front.

After I was done I went and weighed all four corners and called up National Springs and had a set of four custom springs made for my set up. A lot of thin leafs and the ride is smooth and it articulates well off roading.

Now if you guys had real trucks, like a Dodge or Ford Diesel, you wouldn't have to make all those mods..Just drop the camper on and go..;)

But then we'd have all those mechanical problems to deal with......:D ( stir )

Not to mention a signature line longer than most posts....:D. Just kiddin' detlarat. We're all fairly loyal to our truck choices for various reasons, I drove a stock Toyota truck just like PV's for 18 years before I bought the current Tacoma. But I must say that there have been times when I envy those of you with the full size trucks that can carry the luxury of a Grandby.

Of course my comment was tongue-in-cheek and having a bit of fun. Toyo's must be good trucks because there's so darn many of them in my way :eek:

Actually, I'm not very loyal to any truck, I usually go with what works at the time regardless of make. .I've had an International pickup, 2 Chevy's, a Mitsubishi, a Ford F-250, a GMC (what a POS), and the Dodge. Only had the GMC 2 1/2 years and couldn't stand it anymore so bought the Dodge. I'm not really a Dodge guy, but my son has a 2500 Diesel, my Bro-in-law has one and they both swear by them, not AT them like my GMC. I've only got about 20K on the Dodge, but so far I really like it...Can't believe that Cummins and it's 600lbs of torque..It will pull anything I can hook to it. The interior is chintzy and cheap looking....my only complaint. So far it's a keeper..

I hear ya about the "more heavy-duty" built trucks, Delta.

My Tundra is admittedly a wimp on payload. I didn't really research this when we bought it...and I had no idea @ the time I'd be putting a camper on it later
We mostly bought it for the legroom for our MONSTER sized teenage sons.

When I did decide to buy the FWC I called Toyota and they told me I'd be fine hauling it around with no mods. After reading here I figured a bit of beefing up wouldn't hurt..so i bought some Supersprings. These might not be the "perfect" fix but they seem to work fairly well and were certainly easy to put on.

One other thing I wanted to comment on is tires. I had a pair of Michelin (crap) XLT's or some such thing on there for 10 months and they wore out faster than any other tire I've ever driven. As Winter rolls around I decided that it wasn't worth it to chance 'em on the snow/ice so I slapped on a pair of 265-75-16 (up from 65's) Toyo Open Country's on there and wow...BIG difference in ride/feel/etc. Went with the 6 ply..probably should have gone 8.

All-n-all I think every-little-bit helps...

mtn

Back
Top Bottom