Airbags Or Overleaf Springs

Idaho

I have a 09 Toyota Tacoma with the Eagle camper any suggestions on what I should go for. I was going to go with air bags but my neighbor has suggested overleaf springs. He says that air bags can have problems if I go with cheap ones. We plan to use the camper to go to Alaska in 2 weeks and keep it on the truck until late fall. I do take the truck off road no hard core 4x4. Any suggestions on what type of airbags? I was looking at airbags from the airlift company. Any help would be appreciated.

I've used Firestone airbags for years on several different vehicles with zero issues. This includes plenty of miles of Nevada backroads and 4x4 trails. Others have had vastly different experiences though, so take it FWIW. Though I have always thought their mounting hardware is a bit janky. From what I've seen, airlift bags are superior to the Firestones.

Although in hindsight (on my current truck) I would have gone with supersprings instead. Turns out you can't mount airbags and a swaybar because they both use pretty much the same mount points on the frame. Bummer. Wish I'd known that $150 ago. If you have any thoughts whatsoever about adding a swaybar later on, you might want to consider this before you make a final decision.

I've had the bags - ride rite's - and they were fine, but my experience says to use overload spring with longer bump stops (rocky mountain suspension). Cheaper, and less fail possibility.

Also, Rancho 9000's...

Is the rocky mountain suspension and the supersprings part of a lift kit? The firestone airbags i see use existing holes in the frame which is good because it doesn't void my warranty. Do you know if the airlift bags require drilling holes in the frame to be used?

Is the rocky mountain suspension and the supersprings part of a lift kit? The firestone airbags i see use existing holes in the frame which is good because it doesn't void my warranty. Do you know if the airlift bags require drilling holes in the frame to be used?

You and I have pretty much the same setup. I've a 06 Tacoma and a ATC Bobcat (same as Eagle). I've used both AirLift and Firestone air bags. Do not get the AirLift for 05+ Tacoma because where the air bag is placed. For AirLift the bag is installed in front of the axle not on the axle like Firestone. Take a look at the pic in my sig and you can see where AirLift place their bags. I end up using Firestone and a add-a-leaf in the rear, the stock Tacoma leafs is a little weak for my liking. :giggle: I also change the shocks to Bilstein 5100, the truck feels more planted with the 5100. One thing supersprings can't do is level the camper side to side. When full loaded with water, propane, gas the driver side is a lot more heavier then the passenger side.

I still like the Timbrens. When the camper is loaded on the truck they come into play. When the camper is off you'll be driving on the factory suspension.

I just bought 2 more pairs. One for the son's 99 Taco and the other for the wife's '02 Taco 4 door.

i have the Firestone airbags on my 08 taco, had the dealer put them on, it was more expensive, but I have a lifetime warranty on them because I did that. Placement is key, had a friend in baja blow his airbags because they were rubbing wrong. I am happy with the performance of the airbags, also since I did it at the dealership it didn't void any warranties on the truck.

I put airlifts on the F150 and they did a nice job of leveling everything out, front to rear and side to side. Install wasn't bad. Then I moved the FWC to an F250 and did the same except with Firestones. Obviously the kit for the 250 was much more heavy duty but the installs are the same. Rubbing would not be good :( but on the Fords you'd have to be really creative to get it to rub. The ability to balance side to side is a plus and when I add a dirt bike to the rear bumper I can throw a few extralbs of air in.

I have Supersprings and Firestone Ride Rites on my 05 Tacoma. Takes a bit of modification but it works well for the past year. I also went with Bilsteins on the rear and soon on the front. Camper is on and off my tacoma during the year so adjustability is nice. Rides great with my Fleet on board with adequate ground clearance.

Thanks for all the help, I went with the Firestone airbags. I asked about the timbrens but they said for extra cost the airbags where better. They said there is a chance they could slip out of place when your 4X4 and if that happened you would have to jack the truck up to get them back into place. I will see what type of ride I will get with them on the truck when we take off for Alaska. Will take a portable air kit with us as they recommended we pick one up. Any suggestions on what type of air kit I should buy?

The Timbrens (rear) are bolted onto the frame like an airbag pack is...so I have no idea how they would move or fall out. (?) Now yer air compressor might fall off somewhere...but the Timbrens? Ughhh ughh... No way, IMO.

Ah...but I digress...

@ $195 per set...the Timbrens are quite a bit cheaper (less markup?) than airbags...but I'm glad yer happy and got something to fill the bill.

It's funny how each suspension shop recommends something different and says "this is the best"...huh?

mtn

I have Timbrens mounted front and back for over two years now without failure. My first truck had airbags and I found it difficult to level out the truck/camper. The handling of the truck with camper improved considerably with Timbrens and new leaf packs. Down side is you lose articulation with Timbrens on the trails and have to slow the pace.

Thanks for all the help, I went with the Firestone airbags. I asked about the timbrens but they said for extra cost the airbags where better. They said there is a chance they could slip out of place when your 4X4 and if that happened you would have to jack the truck up to get them back into place. I will see what type of ride I will get with them on the truck when we take off for Alaska. Will take a portable air kit with us as they recommended we pick one up. Any suggestions on what type of air kit I should buy?

I kept it simple and fill the bags manually with a pump. The bags are filled individually and the inlet is mounted at the bottom of the bottom. Make sure you track down all the leaks I've to ask Firestone to replace one of the bags since it has a very slow leak. After I track down all the leaks the system can hold pressure for a LONG time. Lost maybe less than 1 psi in a month.

Might not be a bad idea to throw a spare airbag in the toolbox for the trip to AK. A couple hundred miles (or more) between auto repair shops is a LONG way to have to limp along lopsided.

I never heard of anyone busting a bag, the things are pretty tough. I have a lot of other things on my truck I'd worry about more :LOL:

I never heard of anyone busting a bag, the things are pretty tough. I have a lot of other things on my truck I'd worry about more :LOL:

That's because it's a Ford.

(sorry, couldn't resist.)

Back
Top Bottom