Alaska or Bust

Rob - We have driven to Alaska three different times (2007, 2010, and 2014) and plan to go again next fall. We are not good at doing trip reports (something that I hope will change in 2017) but here is a You Tube link to our 2014 trip that may be of interest to you. I agree that planning a trip is a big part of the fun but don't worry if you don't get it all worked out in advance . . . . anywhere that you go in Alaska is wonderful! Hope you have a safe and monumental journey.

Hey there ML! Thanks...Watched your video... looks like a fun time... I really look forward to a mud covered truck/camper... yikes! How did you keep all that road slime on the back from getting in after you stopped for the day? Did you have a dedicated scrub bucket!?
I was thinking of the dust also getting in through the not so well sealed louver windows. When I crossed the Atacama desert I had all my camera lens in double sealed plastic bags...and the dust still got into them! Thanks for the travel log slide show. Can;t wait to follow in your footprints...mud tracks!

buckland said:
Okay heres a big request for those who have gone before: which way to turn and why.........I am reading up on what each of the routes below has to offer... we are not into shopping or tourist traps per se (unless it's really cheesy for the tacky factor). We want to get off the road by a river and enjoy scenic views, perhaps a turnoff side trip, animal viewing, fly fishing, hikes (with bear spray/horn). So with that in mind... There are three junctions where we will need to make a decision. (I believe we have the major outline for travel around Alaska). Remembering we are headed to Jasper then on to Montana ....

This is on our way back.... at the Tok junction:

1) From Tok on the Alaskan Highway
to Haines Junction...
over to White Horse
to Watson Lake
To Cassiar Highway to Prince George

or

2) From Tok on the Taylor Highway
to Dawson City
South to Klondike Highway to Carmacks
then on the Campbell Highway to Watson Lake
picking up the Cassiar Highway to Prince George

or

3) From Tok on the Taylor Highway
to Dawson City
South to Klondike Highway to Carmacks
Stay on Klondike Highway to White Horse
then on Alaskan Highway to Watson Lake
At this Watson Lake junction there is the choice of either staying on the Cassiar Highway to Prince George, or staying on the Alaskan Highway (97) through to Dawson creek to Prince George.

I am reading up on things to do and see but always value highly the opinions of boots on the ground.... or as it were... tires on tarmac.
We aren't in a tear... we want to "stop and smell the roses". (Oh and good food/breweries/pubs)!
Right you are Frank... #2 seems to be a wise choice as it would keep me more in the wild away from Walmart in White Horse etc ... We aren't looking to race down so... I will get out the books and do some concentrated reading on that route. Thanks yet again for your input! PS Merry Christmas!

Missing Link brought up a good visual point.... how does one generally clean off the back of the camper door area w/o becoming a filthy rotten mess?
and on that note ...I suspect there are a few spray auto washes in bigger towns.

DavidGraves said:
I'd be interested in route numbers and/or towns off Interstate 90 ...anything for Wisconsin to Montana.... that have places to 'town camp' municipal camps... I'll be on the long haul.

Interstates I80 and 90/94 run alongside old US 30 and US 20....except for the larger cities, both of these US "highways" are great and often just as direct as the Interstates.

We typically run hard on the Interstate in the morning and then relax to the US highway for the afternoon looking for something interesting to see or do and then camp....when I was doing this a lot I crossed to Virginia (towing a 24' trailer) in 5 days....3006 miles door to door.

BTW I still have my R50 1956 that I found in a collapsed shed in 1976... it was trashed. But I have been riding it since, also a 1991 R100.

My first BMW was during college....open driveshaft R54/3 with straight forks..later many /2 model and the gamut of R5/6/7 and sidecars.

I worked at a couple of dealers in the east and then went more or less cold turkey.

Still have a barn bound '77 R100/7 and a 1931 R 5

But we digress.

Travel safe and soak in the culture and history as you cross the US.

There isn't much left.

Merry Christmas

DG
That is a good idea... I get sucked into the slab driving ...which has its benefit of making time but you are right... doing that while one is juiced up on the AM energy and coffee then in the afternoon slip off onto the side "blue highways" ... more apt to find those great dinners and quiet camp spots (in-between the exits). I believe I will heed that advice.

Crumbs... I got your post via email notification but I don't see it here in the thread. Anyway I have carried a handheld (cig lighter/battery) Cobra CB for 15 years... still works but they are line of sight. That said it has the weather channels on there too and an emergency Channel 13. I had a rooftop antenna on my old truck but I think I will try it w/o that this trip. It is a great comfort knowing I have my home on wheels... If I break down I'll always have a weeks worth of food and beer!

So... for you folks that have a porta-potty (I do) .... I have carried it all over but never needed to resort to it. It is new and 12 years old but I have a feeling that it might get christened this rip. To that end, (no pun) I was wondering who carries one and actually uses it? I realize the mechanics of it... but wonder on the maintenance... i.e. what chemicals need be brought along to minimize the oder and the breakdown of solids. I (gawd help me) went into Walmart.... something I rarely do... and went to the camping aisle and was immediately confused so I just took a photo and ran out. I know I have to have some stuff in the lower tank to digest the solids and I need something in the top water tank to help somehow. So any advice from the photo as to products needed. I'd like to avoid the formaldehyde smell if possible and lean towards the fake pine.

Attachments

• IMG_1666.JPG
    IMG_1666.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 87
Thetford Aqua-Kem on the far right of the center shelf. We have the Thetford Curve model which is close to real toilet height. Use 1/2 container and 1/2 water into bottom tank. We pull ours out at night and put it away after early morning use. Empty in a pit toilet or toilet. Nice not having to go outside at night. I think you will find it will come in handy. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Thanks.... scheeze... what's all that other stuff for? ... they have plastic cubes that go in one tank and other stuff that looks like bags of crystal powder? ... I guess it isn't rocket science... but someone is making $ on on a never ending business.

The Campbell Highway. 365 mies ...90 paved. Great fishing I heard. I have read in the Milepost the $12 camp permits are bought at gas stations etc. If anyone has traveled in these parts .... Questions:

1) does one buy the permit(s) and can use in any permit campground? Does one buy a few so that if they change their mind and want to say a couple nights more (not have to drive back to gas station) .. are they site specific?

2) Any advice as to free camping spots on this route?

I'd personally pass on the permit. Only place I paid for camping while in Alaska was in Denali National Park and Homer. Unless you just like the security and being around others, having the FWC and four wheel drive it's easy to find boondocking spots. Paying for a firepit/picnic table seems like a waste to me. Why pay when you can find stuff like this........free!

DenaliHwy-5-XL.jpg

buckland said:
So... for you folks that have a porta-potty (I do) .... I have carried it all over but never needed to resort to it. It is new and 12 years old but I have a feeling that it might get christened this rip. To that end, (no pun) I was wondering who carries one and actually uses it? I realize the mechanics of it... but wonder on the maintenance... i.e. what chemicals need be brought along to minimize the oder and the breakdown of solids. I (gawd help me) went into Walmart.... something I rarely do... and went to the camping aisle and was immediately confused so I just took a photo and ran out. I know I have to have some stuff in the lower tank to digest the solids and I need something in the top water tank to help somehow. So any advice from the photo as to products needed. I'd like to avoid the formaldehyde smell if possible and lean towards the fake pine.
To the best of my knowledge, there are products which have the effect of converting liquid wastes into solid wastes. The advantage being that solid wastes may (generally) be disposed of in regular trash receptacles as opposed to needing to dump liquid wastes into a pit toilet or regular toilet and clean up the porta-potti. The "converters" are placed within plastic bags so, in theory, disposal AND clean-up are simplified--just pull the bag, insert new bag + clumping medium, and you're off.

Foy

Gee Park.... not to shabby a camping spot that is (where?)... I am all for boondocking... just wondering on the road I mentioned Campbell Highway in the Yukon Canada.... I wanted to know about their permit system.

Not sure if Canadians allow boondocking (I know Crown land is okay for citizens but I am US).

PETT toilet w/wag bags for disposable bag system. The advantage here is a small footprint with the folding toilet frame. The disadvantage is the bags are mildly pricy.

Porta Potti toilets work fine, but take up a lot of space in the small campers. There are several products that don't contain formaldehyde. I believe Thetford makes a version that doesn't have Formaldehyde. There are also enzyme based products. On the boat, we never put anything in the fresh water tank, just in the bowl.

I have a Thetford with a 3 gallon tank. My question is not on the solid/bag types... but for what chemicals needed for: Oder and solids beak down in holding tank.

buckland said:
Gee Park.... not to shabby a camping spot that is (where?)... I am all for boondocking... just wondering on the road I mentioned Campbell Highway in the Yukon Canada.... I wanted to know about their permit system.

Not sure if Canadians allow boondocking (I know Crown land is okay for citizens but I am US).
I boondocked all over the Yukon, British Colombia and Alaska. Trust me, there is so much open country out there boondocking is not an issue. In the Canadian National Park system they frown on it but everywhere else I never had a problem. Even in places like Wrangell St. Elias and Kluane National Park I boondocked. I just ensure I'm off well off the main road. I'm anal about being stealth while boondocking and leave the area exactly, if not better, than I found it. Some, just don't have the ability, nor the desire, to be off by their selves and end up in campgrounds. Just not my cup of tea when I can avoid them. It's funny but in places like the South/North Dalton Road in the Yukon/Northwest Territories you'll come up on a primitive campground where they want $15 or so to park but you can simply drive down the road and find thousands upon thousands of wilderness acres. Sorry, but I don't have any information on that permit on the Campbell. Wasn't even aware of a permit system. I drove it but just boondocked. The picture was taken at a spot in Alaska. I may be back up that way next summer. If you see a FWC on a Toyota with a Pie Bald Daschund hanging out.....give a shout out. Petey and I will buy you a beer.

P1040195-XL.jpg

Petey looks like my kinda dog... four paws and a belly to rub! (we lost our pal of 15 last year). Thanks for the reassurances ...we too tend to pick up other peoples trash... still can't figure those folks out. I carry a CB radio so if you see my dark grey Colorado diesel with an Eagle I'll be on channel 19! Never miss a free beer!

Back
Top Bottom