Alaska or Bust

Stanbiker... thanks... will do. The rough timetable is all of July... just not sure where when!

I am crunching mile numbers on Taylor highway and reading the Milepost as I go. Good Lord it is big up there! It is amazing the scale difference. Being from hobbit hills New England (though darned pretty and can be backwoods) nothing can compare with this... Immense. Looking at a side trip (I love it...side trip...HA!...) to Eagle why not? It seems so big and I will always wonder ...what was over there I passed?.... Wish I had a million bucks... I could do this for a long time I think... but that probably not happening ... still hoping to find all the best in time allowed. It is true ...planning the trip is like taking a trip without "leaving the farm".

Have been thinking while sitting on the hopper that I would not like the task of dealing with the marine Thedford if I ended up staying way out for over a week. My wife said "heck...your choice... I'm not dealing with it" (isn't love grand?)....so I made a command decision and decided that the best solution (no pun intended) was to avoid a "solution" sitting around for a week. As I have an outhouse for a cabin that has a composting set up which keeps separate the solids and liquids I thought I'd go that route again. This seat folds up and goes in a duffle. The urine hose (can be removed) and a screw capped gallon jug used.The seat has a sealed cap as well. Just one less thing to have to contend with that could take the shine off the day.
Getting closer to 'take off' on June 16th and I am getting pretty psyched. Today I decided to install a water proof $30 battery tender under the hood which is permanently attached to the battery with a. AC cord out the front grill. It will be used at home when the truck is sitting around as well as to keep the battery up when I have the key in accessory position... (truck cellular wifi). This is a coffee fueled morning report.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 9.00.42 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 9.00.42 AM.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 67
Things are coming together at least camper and truck wise.... (other life stuff... pre-retired is a real anchor looking to catch on something). That out of the way.... I thought I'd try a blog.... I have a company website host.... and there is Google (heard WordPress .org is good)

Was wondering so not to re-invent the wheel what (free) blogs are easiest to pop up with a daily journal of text and a few shots?

Hard to beat the Two Bobs journal... on this site. Man the photos and descriptions are great.

So any pointers and suggestions let me know... I'd like to put up a map of the route with way points to mark good boondocks camping sites along the way...and a good beer now and then. Fishing spots you betcha ( already had some great input from a WTW member from The Yukon with wonderful help on that! 4 weeks and counting down.

Oh I have to post my truck... I installed Bilstein shocks (front RHA).. a Hellwig Swaybar, an extra leaf and air bags.
So if that lets me down ...it's all my fault.

Camper on end of the week ( we had snow today)

Attachments

• IMG_2319.jpg
    IMG_2319.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 56
I am looking forward to reading your trip reports- a trip of a lifetime! Like Frank, we use Google Blogger- easy, all you need is a Gmail account. Adding photos and text is easy. You do need internet access though. I tried doing reports in Word and then copying them into Blogger and it did not work well. Word formatting screwed everything up. I think you can type in a text program and copy that in but I haven't tried that. Others may have suggestions.

Just checked out The Google Blogger... seems my kinda simple. The others I went to appear to be for those who aspire to be at a more professional level. Thanks for the suggestions. Got the crew cabin seats out of the truck and a platform in. The camper goes on the truck today for the shakedown prep.

Rob,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean as to re-entering the States and employing "blue routes" down through Montana and Idaho headed towards Colorado, but your mention of routes 2 and 200 tell me you're talking about entering at Roosville, BC on US 93 and picking up US 2 just inside Montana, then following it east (it's an east-west route but does trend southeast for some segments as it goes around whole mountain ranges), to MT Route 200, and generally south/southeast from there. I do understand what "blue routes" are--various more lightly used State and US highways--or perhaps solely State highways. If all of that is correct, a fine way to work your way southeast to CO from BC may include:

First, I'd skip the crossing of the northern Rockies via US 2 and would instead go down to Whitefish on US 93 to MT 82 and 83, to Swan Lake and Seeley Lake and pick up MT 200 at the southern end of MT 83. MT 200 to the west runs a distance along the Blackfoot River, which is Norman McLean's "A River Runs Through It" stream.

MT 200 merges onto I-90 just outside of Missoula. If so inclined, Missoula is a fine place for an overnight at a riverside motel with lots of good food, brewpubs, and rocking college bars within walking distance.

Some 20 miles east of Missoula is Rock Creek Canyon, traversed by Rock Creek Rd (FS 102). The first 10 miles upstream (south) is paved and developed, then the next 30 miles is directly along a fine, fine Blue Ribbon trout stream. There are 5 or 6 NF campgrounds along the route, with The Dalles, Harry's Flat, and Bitterroot Flat being among the nicest. A midweek pass-through will likely find the campgrounds and the water but lightly used.

At the far south end, Rock Creek Road crosses MT 348, and 12 miles of pavement to the east is the delightful village of Philipsburg, where some fine craft brew, ice cream, fudge, a good fly shop, and other goodies await you. An overnight at the (fairly Spartan) RV spots at the Philipsburg Inn motel puts you 4 blocks from all of the above.

Leaving Philipsburg headed south, take MT 1 past Georgetown Lake, through Anaconda, to MT 569 just outside of that town. MT569 is a little rough but paved, over the Continental Divide, to MT 43 outside of Wise River. East on 43 to Wise River.

At Wise River, south along the Pioneer Mountains Scenic Parkway, 37 miles, paved, with many scenic pull-outs, NF campgrounds, and disbursed sites right along the Wise River. The Wise River is home to voracious brook trout and arctic grayling, too.

At the south end of the Parkway, go west on MT 278 for about 10 miles just to get over a divide to reach Jackson, MT and have a good look at the Big Hole Valley.

From Jackson you may backtrack on MT 278 to Bannack or work your way due south along gravel roads, past Reservoir NF campground, to MT 324 just west of Grant, MT. The Bannack route brings you to the very well preserved ghost town of Bannack, the first capital of Montana Territory. Bannack is a gem for history buffs and one can easily spend a day there.

Just east of Grant along MT 324 a gravel road to the south is the northern end of the Big Sheep Creek Backcountry Byway, a 55 mile graded gravel road (with a few miles of somewhat rougher 2-track in its center, near Island Butte). Morrison Lake lies a couple of miles west up a spur route and is a beautiful stopover/disbursed camping site and a hot fishing hole.

Jump on I-15 at the end of the Big Sheep Creek Byway, stop in Lima for fuel and provisions, and proceed a few miles further south to Monida, and there take MT 509 to the east. MT 509 is a 60 mile stretch of graded gravel which is aka as South Shore Road. It follows the northern foot of the Centennial Mountains and traverses the entire Centennial Valley. The Red Rock Lakes NWR is near the head of the valley, just before Red Rock Pass brings you into Idaho a little west of West Yellowstone, MT.

For another night out of the truck, look at Elk Lake Lodge, a splendid off-the-grid layout of small cabins at the edge of Elk Lake, a super-fine supper and breakfast menu, and a fun little bar which closes at 9:00 pm because that's what time Jake (the proprietor along with his gourmet cook spouse Laurel) goes to bed at the lodge. The Lodge is at the head of the Centennial Valley about 5 miles north of MT 509.

Leaving there, I'd look to some pavement on down into Idaho, through Ashton, Victor, and Driggs, cross the Tetons at Teton Pass, skirt the worst of the craziness at Jackson, WY, and head down to Boulder, WY.

At Boulder, you can follow the southeast side of the Wind River Range all the way to South Pass City on graded gravel roads which follow the Oregon/Mormon trail.

At Atlantic City (near South Pass), be sure to take the Atlantic City-Hudson Road (BLM Road 2302), all the way to US 287 near Sweetwater Junction. There you'll be looking at some wide-open pavement southeast to Rawlins and I-80. At Rawlins, you can head east on I-80 or WY 230 south through Saratoga (hot springs!) which becomes CO 125 as you cross into CO. Staying on CO 125 all the way south to Granby puts you on US 34 for a drive over Trail Pass Road (Rocky Mountain National Park), for some way above timberline driving at over 12,000'. Either US 34 or 36 out of Estes Park returns you to the High Plains on the east side of the Rockies.

Looking forward to following your trip! Have a ball!

Foy

Wow Foy... I'm speechless...that is a jam packed encyclopedic post! I think you have just the right definition of "Blue Highways" (the name of a great book as well with the same meaning). The name taken from the old US maps where "big" roads i.e. US and big State roads were red and the small roads still with numbers were the color blue. It is a 'out to see America' kinda story.

Having only been through Montana twice in my life...both times on motorcycle (first time through in 1981 on a 1956 R50 BMW in horrific shape...but I got home). I did not have time to explore the back roads and stream sides. I loved "The river runs through it" and have always wanted to roam similar rivers.

Your terrific contribution will come in handy as that part of the trip I have little more than looked at maps.... another nephew lives near Steamboat Springs in the town of Clark CO. and I was thinking of passing through (also to stay south of the Dakotas due to the Sturgis Rally in mid August....cut across Nebraska to Kentucky ...visit the in-laws and also avoid Chicago!

Thanks for taking the time to help. I hope to get the blog up before I leave and post to it for family as well as WTW trip reports thread.
Just came in from trying the camper on the truck with the new suspension set up and it floats well. The sway bar helps more than i realized on those sharp curves!

Buckland,

Trust me even AAA couldn't match "Foy Travel Service". We did most of what he had in Montana. Rock Creek was a body rattling ride at 5 mph maybe. Lots packed in, but worth every hour. We went up into the Pioneer Mountains to Vipond Park for a night, 1,000 drop and Skalkaho Pass from Bitterroot Valley on Hwy 93 over to Philipsburg. Enjoy your trip. Check my blog report from last Sept/Oct. Get your Montana, Wyoming and Colorado Benchmark atlas's. jd

Thanks JD, I will indeed look for the benchmark atlas. It is amazing when I think of it having been a WTW site member since 2011 and I have learned so much with far less pain then was expected. I have had the good fortune to be offered great ideas and advice when they were sorely needed but more importantly I have begun to feel part of a group that values the things I do and sharing while we can what we know just makes the whole trip that much more fun. This is a website bigger than the sum of the parts. I will continue soon on the "Trip Reports" page. I have started my first blog (and immediately after this I will venture to yours as suggested). Thanks to all who have made this preparation end up with the rubber side down and raring to go.
Here's the start of the blog http://alaskan-yukon-roadtrip.blogspot.com

Buckland- I just read your first blog post and I feel as if I were right there with you (actually I'm about 2 years behind you!).
Keep up the planning and let us live vicariously through your upcoming adventures!

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Rob you did get a Milepost?
If not try to find a used one.Even when you get to Alaska there are book stores that have last years ones for a steal.
Frank
I took your advice as soon as I got it and over the last year hi-lited that Milepost 5 colors! It is a great resource I will have along with us and a terrific by 'milepost' wherever one is. In retrospect it is the best planning tool I had besides WTW!

smlobx said:
Buckland- I just read your first blog post and I feel as if I were right there with you (actually I'm about 2 years behind you!).
Keep up the planning and let us live vicariously through your upcoming adventures!
As they say...never too early to start planning...I found a year is about right if you already have the intel to look through. Frank is right: the Milepost is a first step in getting a handle on what's out there and what to expect.

We only planed four things about our trip to AK...

1) 10-ply E rated tires

2) absolutely no matter what, no way driving near Chicago!

3) Yukon Brewing, very disappointed. They only sell beer, no food. We were expecting beer/food/eclectic like we have here in Michigan (151 breweries last count).

4) Northern Lights, only saw a few times and not any bright color(s), all kind of faded, not even sure they were the Northern Lights.

But, we had a great 52 nights in the camper and 11,555 miles trip from Kalamazoo, MI.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom