Alaska or Bust

Well we are committed...I put it on the card...Bellingham to Whittier (yikes $3372.00 which I don't have yet but hope to sell a few pieces of furniture before I leave).... It is set in stone. A bit scary... Gotta get to Washington. My biggest concern is leaving the east coast as I am the youngest in the family and in charge of my mother (90). Other sibs are distant) ...hoping that all arranged can work. Just gotta hope so. I suppose there is always a sword of Damocles of some degree hanging over a long trip away. Hell, the house and such could burn and that's okay...but family folk is always a worry.
Well to get there I have a lot more work to do to the camper (fridge install and sand mats' rack made and installed under the cab over).

Would love to hear from any one who can tell me their first hand experience if I should drive the Cassiar down from Watson Lake or go down 97 from Watson Lake to Dawson (We are eventually going to Jasper Alberta but want to see the best... quieter and scenic...less the tourist route. More hikes and boondocking. Soooo much to learn.

First off the Cassiar is a beautiful drive.450 miles of some of the best scenery.
Lots of places to stop and see/camp.
Also as a bonus it's 150 miles shorter,Watson Lk to Pr. George.

Yeah that ferry cost kinda hits you but you will enjoy it.
Our ferry trip came to $3800,but we had a 4 person cabin.
What cabin did you get?

Keep planning.
Frank

Thanks Frank... it is a bit exciting... We can still handle sleeping bags and a bathroom in the hallway...so we got the cheapest room-let that had a window (always nice to know if one is still afloat)... $40 more than an inside room-let. It has a top bunk and a lower table -shelf bed setup... is okay ...I just like the closed door with the separation from the masses. (I live a secluded life and crowds get me wound up). I am the chief organizer and planner as my wife is still a second grade teacher and will work up until the last day.
Hope for the best ...plan for the worst

We also like the idea of the "door".
We have done ferry trips that were just one night so sleeping above deck in the solarium worked out great.
Was fun with our daughters on 2 of the trips.
But now is different.
Yes to the window.The rooms are really a bargain.
Frank

Buckland have you read the reports about the rear door window getting broken on the Alaska roads? I asked another friend about it after reading another trip blog where the window was broken.

Seems its fairly common.
I wonder if a local glass / tint shop could do a small piece of 3M security film on the glass to avoid the risk of a broken one and dealing with terrible road grim in the camper.

I sure have... 2 Bobs... That kind of event is a major bummer... strangely enough... I had the window shattered back in 2012. It was not caused by a flying rock though. It is smart to carry duct take and some heavy plastic. I was thinking of a preventative solution ... but it might be too much trouble... if I have a brainstorm I'll post it up. I am still convinced it was his trailer that ricocheted the stone.

May be a good idea to cut out a piece of 1/4" Birch plywood to replace the window with and just keep it stored under the mattress. Ron

Subscribed.
As onother East Coaster (and former Granite Stater) I'm interested in your route planning as we will be going in'18 and are planning on taking the ferry as well.

Both great ideas ... if nothing else (being...ahem... frugal)... I will cut a piece of 1/4" ply/luan and tuck on the floor somewhere. Seems like an easy thing to do to address a really bad day. Hope for the best plan for the worst.

Well at this time all is fluid.... but I have a plan (as I have done the trip to MT on a motorcycle) to avoid Chicago. As before we went to Buffalo NY.. over the falls!... into Canada and across back into MI..... cross MI and take the ferry across Lake Michigan to Wisconsin... catch rote 90 west.... once into Wisconsin ...travel is a pleasure. And it keeps getting better as one goes west! We are starting to get the drive around from Whittier ...doing the Kenai Penn. and then head up to Denali Hwy. as well as the park... then on up to the Arctic circle.... ... we intend on going off to a village 300 mile round trip called Circle. From there to the Yukon and south to Montana... I will eb getting much more specific latter and on route will be hopefully following 2 Bob's travel report (tho how could one top that one!).

That is a wonderful site and nice info ...I will forward to the Mrs... a visual is always good.

As a multi trip traveler on the ferry system that site is a great one.
It described the trip in a very good way and gave some great tips for the ferry itself.

Some of the port-of-calls are close enough to town for a nice walk. But the stop at Juneau it's 12
miles out of town and the taxis want a unrealistic price for the trip. I think there is a bus stop a couple miles
from the Auke Bay ferry terminal. In Ketchikan the terminal is just a short walk into town,and the ferry usually has about a 3+ hour stop there.So you can walk around and see some of the town. But a lot of the terminals are a ways out of the towns.

I have driven the route south after taking the ferry but IMO once is enough. I want to spend my time not driving as much.

Frank

That picture of a ferry at the beginning of the AMH article is the MV Kennicott.
If you look at the aft area of the ferry where the door is that is an elevator that is used to load/unload
in ports that don't have the "special" loading ramps used for the extremely high tides.Also
has a turntable in the deck to rotate the cars out the side doors.It was very interesting to watch vehicles
being loaded/unloaded by this method. Also this ferry has a helo deck in the area on top of the elevator,and
the ferry can be used as a emergency command center if needed.
It's one of the newest boats in operation,built in the mid 90s.
That's the one from Bellingham to Whittier 5 nights.
A fun 5 days at sea.

Frank

I am so glad we are going it that way. After the 6-7 day drive from NE it will be perfect to sit back and cruise. How did you do your meals? I know they have a cafe on board but is it cheaper and as easy to bring a cooler and 5 meals and some beer? Oh I hope one is allowed to have a beer on board !

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

buckland said:
I am so glad we are going it that way. After the 6-7 day drive from NE it will perfect to sit back and cruise. How did you do your meals? I know they have a age on board but is it cheaper Nd as easy to bring a cooler and 5 meals and some beer? Oh I hope one is allowed to have a beer on board !

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West
Rob you can take food to your cabin also wine/beer but you can't drink it outside your room. The food onboard isn't that bad.Mostly basic cafe food. You get "car deck" calls usually 8am/2pm/6pm,last call is usually late at night.
We would get food from the camper as needed. I have a Truckfridge cooler that I kept running so we could get yogurt,cheese/beer things like that to eat..
It works out well you just have to be adaptable.

The longest run is the first 2 nights Bellingham to Ketchikan, but just across from the ferry in Ketchikan there is a great restaurant,in the Best Western Inn.
The arrival time is 8am I think so you can get off and have a good breakfast.
If you like biscuits & gravy they have the best we have ever had.Also you can get some food to go for your next meal at sea.
There is a Safeway a short walk into town.You have enough time so as not to be rushed.Just remember the ferry will leave without you so make sure you leave time to return.

The 5+ hour Juneau stop is a bit harder again it's first thing in the morning,nothing close but a 15 minuet walk will get you to an area for some good coffee and a snack.

The next port is Yakutat real small fishing village but you are there a few hours and can walk around town.Go to Fat Grandmas Coffee.
Easy walk around this nice little town.
We watched them loading salmon to be shipped out later that day.

When you get to Whittier it's a different show there.Not much, a few coffee places one right as you get off the ferry has snacks,tacos,coffee. There are some restaurants I think the 2 bobs went to one and had a nice meal.

Keep planning.
Frank

The nest bit of info I am looking for is on fishing. I love fly fishing and will bring hip waders (small/lightweight). as well as a small fly tying kit. I will not be going after the big stuff but trout is what my gear is for around here. I have 5/6 weight rod and a 7/8. I bought both 8 lb. and 16 lb. line to make my leaders. Tippets not sure the test needed but I would bet 6 lb. + for sure. Any and all advice on both tackle and places to fish. (I know....everywhere). I won't be able to buy a full season license but would like to pick a couple weeks somewhere. I will be on the Kenai for a week or so.

Wow Frank that is great info. These are the details that make it fun to arrive and explore... and get a good meal! Definitely appreciate the small stuff. I guess your Truck Fridge in your camper (2 way?) had enough juice for the few days with everything else off. I will definitely load up on some good suds and cheese/salami chips, cereal milk etc. I'm happy with a burger ... A no frills couple. We are both wildlife/bird watchers so will be busy all day with the binoculars....I am not one to sit still for long...just by nature... so this will force me to slow down and rest up.

I decided to remove the glass from the rear window and trace it....cut out a piece of 1/4" birch ply and slide it behind the seat in the back. It is a small thing to do for 'insurance".

BTW Frank...you were right... planning is a lot of fun.... gets the excitement up even though it is still 6 months away!

Back
Top Bottom