Alaska-Yukon Road Trip From New England

I know what you mean about the PA roads. It's pathetic!
That's a lot of miles for your first day. Keep up the great job.
Will you be recording your mileage? I'm interested to see how your diesel does.
Thanks!

Hey alla y'all... Strangely enough I found internet. I posted to the blog and wanted to also post here. Day four and have had luck shine upon me so far... that said I definitely over packed ... I will not start into about the planning of this trip but at the end anything my wife wanted I took.... well... the load is way up there and after the scales I thank heavens for the reinforced suspension. (scary above what I thought) Being a worry wart I dreaded every 70 mph bridge abutment bump where the whole vehicle does the bounce. All told if has handled the weight superbly and drives great but..... it would be nice not to have this weight with me...alas it is what it is. My days were 660, 607, 450, and 450 miles so somewhere around 2175 for four days. This is the price to pay and I am willing and actually have had a lot of fun finding that each night's surprise camp is better than the last...all good. I have been fighting a strong 30 mph wind out of the west. I feel it when I step out of the truck and it is steady and with gusts. So far my total mpg has been ..... 20. It was great until the plains and then it was a labor against the wind... just letting go the foot and the truck slowed fast. I will say the exhaust brake is great for the steep declines in the hills. I hope to get back to 24 mpg soon but from here tomorrow is all up hill. Tonight by Cold Stream in Big Timber MT.

Attachments

• IMG_3340 2.jpeg
    IMG_3340 2.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3341 2.jpeg
    IMG_3341 2.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 128
Rob after a few early trips we kept telling ourselves not to bring everything that there are actually "stores" out there.
We have over the years stuck to that way of thinking and only stock up on some things that we need and
wouldn't be able to get on the road.
This has worked well for us.

Enjoying your posts.Stay safe.You will have some really beautiful country soon.I assume you will be on I 90 through Washington.
There is a nice rest stop/State park at the crossing of the Columbia River.On the east bank there is a stop and some cool "Art".
I think it's called "Grandfather turns the horses loose".
It's steel horses up on the cliff.With an easy walking trail. If you get the chance stop and check it out.
Enjoy.
Frank

I know the Robert Campbell Highway is still a ways off. I drove from Watson Lake to Ross River and Faro on Sunday night. Arrived at Ross River at 7:30 Monday morning. I stopped st Frances Lake for a few hours. Then Monday night I drove back to Watson Lake. Stayed again at Frances Lake for three hours. Arrived home this morning at 9. The Robert Campbell is in pretty good condition except for the construction area which is 50 miles north of Watson Lake. 4 x 4 all the way and my truck with small camper bottomed out in the same section going and returning. Lots of rain in the area so many potholes. Take your time and you will be fine.
Robbie

Frank Thanks for the heads up... I just passed through there this morning (have had no cell or wifi for the last day and a half) so I missed the "art" stop. I type this with morning coffee in Ellensburg. I had a great drive down Route 17 from the Coulee Dam area. My plans were altered yesterday and through a stroke of luck I ended up on BLM land a place called Hawk River (Creek?) on the Roosevelt Lake...so I just need one more place around here to stay tonight for the truck service appointment tomorrow in Bellevue. Man that was a long haul and it went very smoothly overall... except this morning on day 6 my lower back said it did not want to straighten out. I need a long hike to loosen up!

JD you were right as rain.... Boulder River it was and it was roaring.... I could have easily spent a lot of time fishing there ...

Should be able to find some camping up the North or Middle Forks of the Snoqualmie River, they're in the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest and hopefully void of locked gates :)

Thanks Bob... just about to read that way...I will definitely avoid locked gates...I knew I forgot the bolt cutters!

buckland said:
Thanks Bob... just about to read that way...I will definitely avoid locked gates...I knew I forgot the bolt cutters!
Hayduke would tell you that bolt cutters and wire cutters should always be in your vehicle :)

Looks like you were at the campground near the mouth of the Boulder at the Yellowstone River. That is a pretty treacherous part of the river. Several years ago a float guide and his client hit a snag and flipped the boat. Both drowned and one was found caught on a summerged tree. Very sad. Also looks like the snow melt has the river running high. In August, back up river it is perfect fishing, maybe a couple of feet deep. jd

Friendly campground chit chat. Hey nice camper! Hope you don't mind me asking.. I see you slept in your truck cab last night?

Camper guy .. Oh yea that.. Long story but, Frieda the Fridge got angry and locked me out last night..

Ha ha

Sounds like fun Buckland

Made it to the Seattle Airport! (whoa nelly the traffic around here is intense) Waiting in the cell lot for the Flight to arrive. Today in my 25th wedding anniversary.....silver ...was lucky enough to find the perfect gift.....

Attachments

• Klondike.jpg
    Klondike.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 73
Well Rob about 24 hours and you'll be just about boarding.
Perfect "gift" happy 25th.

Yeah the traffic there is so bad.
Although last for our trip we stayed outside Olympia at a SP and got an early start Saturday morning to drive through
Seattle and it wasn't bad at all.I past years we have driven different routes to try and avoid the city,but there aren't many
alternatives.
Enjoy.
Frank

Rob, Happy anniversary. We celebrated our 42nd between Shenandoah and Smoky Mountains. Always fun when camping. Safe travels. jd

Happy anniversary and best wishes to beat the traffic. Our daughter lives in Seattle so we know where of you speak. Our 46th is Monday- we will spend it in much less adventurous fashion close to home. :) Happy travels!

Back
Top Bottom