Alaska-Yukon Road Trip From New England

Good morning. Thanks for the posts Rob. Looks like a fantastic trip and thanks for stopping by in Watson Lake.

Robbie

Just wanted to post a couple shots of the kind of camp spots one dreams of when having a FWC. Both of these were taken on The Denali Highway. There was nearly no one in five days on the road. I hope they never pave that road.

Attachments

• Denali alone.jpg
    Denali alone.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 112
Fantastic shots and I too hope it is never paved.
One question that came up..I hope it's not to personal...did you take a lot of cash or were you able to use credit cards along the way without much problem? I guess I am thinking about the more remote areas you visited.
What about Canadian money?

Thanks.

Eddie I'll give you my answer.
We have made many.many trips into Canada/Alaska and had no problem with credit cards.
Also we do take extra cash but there are ATMs all over the place.
You may think you are in some remote place but there it is an ATM machine.
Have fun on your future trips.
Frank

PS Yes the "Old Denali" hwy is a great drive.We have driven it three times and it doesn't get old.
Lots of off road spots to camp,so many it's a hard choice to pick just the one the right one.

DSCN8423.jpg

That's Denali in the background. It's really visible at the Cantwell (west) end of the road.

DSCN8433.jpg

A view looking north from the road.

Eddie I was surprised that I did not need cash except for the Canadian camp sites where it was pay by envelope … you should go into bank and get “Toonies” and Loonies” as well as $10 and $5 bills… say $100 max. Everything else takes the ‘chip’ card. We came back with almost all our cash. You will have a ball. The best part about Canada is the Canadians!
Rob

Frank...I can not believe the clarity of those two shots! Holy Toledo. We had fire smoke from 3 fires and never saw it like that.... guess we 'have to' go back! Nice shots.

Buckland, working my way through your blog. Really enjoying the report- trip of a lifetime and you still have time to do more! Thanks for posting all the info- hope to put it to use one day.

buckland said:
Eddie I was surprised that I did not need cash except for the Canadian camp sites where it was pay by envelope … you should go into bank and get “Toonies” and Loonies” as well as $10 and $5 bills… say $100 max. Everything else takes the ‘chip’ card. We came back with almost all our cash. You will have a ball. The best part about Canada is the Canadians!
Rob

Frank...I can not believe the clarity of those two shots! Holy Toledo. We had fire smoke from 3 fires and never saw it like that.... guess we 'have to' go back! Nice shots.
Rob the two trips along the hwy we made had great weather and views.
In 2011 we drove both directions and last year we just drove east.
In all our travels I still think it is one of the most scenic areas especially when the fall colors make their show.
The views just go on forever.Yes you need to make more trips there.When Luann retires you can go later in the year.
Late Aug/Sept are good times.
Frank

Frank that is a great first shot ...we have thew same one but due to the cloud and smoke Denali is only a shadow.
I took the camper off the truck to clean both separately and was lucky enough to have found a used 4x6 trailer on Craig's list for cheap. It will allow me to store it in the barn and be able to pull to out in any season.

Attachments

• IMG_3417.JPG
    IMG_3417.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 82
That trailer idea is a good one.Sure makes it easier to move around.
The first picture isn't Denali it's one of the high peaks to the east of Denali also in the Alaska range.
Seen from the old hwy about 40 miles east of Cantwell,where the western section of pavement ends.
Still some of the most beautiful country I have seen.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom