Alaskan Journey 2012

Bajaxplorer

Advanced Member
Back in winter 09-10, I was planning a trip to Alaska. I had to cancel that trip due to overspending on home improvements. Well, the trip is back on and I will have company. As luck would have it a friend, Al, retired recently and he will be making the trip too. He has been wanting to do a very similar trip for some time and the timing has worked out for both of us. Can't think of a better partner for such a journey.
Several northern neighbors on this forum have offered me great advice and the opportunity to visit with them while in their area. I appreciate this more than I can say.
I have made an attempt at moving into the 21st century by acquiring a smartphone to go with my netbook. Also have began a blog to be used for the trip (we'll see how that goes). The blog can be found at:
http://bajaxplorer.blogspot.com/

BX, so when are you going? Chnlisle and generubin are doing a shared trip in august. We are heading up in early September. Maybe our paths will cross.

Ted, our route plan is in the blog. Be gone from mid-July until late September. We will be into Yukon 8/3, Inuvik 8/9 and Fairbanks 8/18 to pick up Amy (wife) at airport, then Denali 8/21-8/24, McCarthy-Valdez 8/27-9/1 and Kenai 9/3-9/8 (approx). I think we will all be checking each others posts to try and meet up at times. I plan to keep the blog updated with my current location and pix. You say you will be there in Sepember. We will drop my wife at Anchorage for flight home on the 9th of Sep then head for Haines and on south. Might have some overlap with you. I plan to give my cell and sat numbers for contact at later date.
Michael

BX, so when are you going? Chnlisle and generubin are doing a shared trip in august. We are heading up in early September. Maybe our paths will cross.

Ted,
Sadly our trip is now officially cancelled. Fortunately I have trip insurance so the airfare will be refunded. The reservations in Denali are another story. I'm hopeful I can get at least some of my dough back but if not I'll offer them up here.

When is/was your Denali trip...?? If you can not get a refund.
Sorry to hear your trip cancelled..

robbie

Ted,
Sadly our trip is now officially cancelled. Fortunately I have trip insurance so the airfare will be refunded. The reservations in Denali are another story. I'm hopeful I can get at least some of my dough back but if not I'll offer them up here.

Bummer Jay, sorry to hear this.

Cancelled? Wtf? Is it true the world is coming to and end in 2012? I was so looking forward to following your travels vicariously.:(

Thanks for posting up your tentative route on your blog. I will be following a similar route from Colorado starting in mid August, although we are planning to ferry from Seattle up to Kenai peninsula, and then drive back. I'll be following your blog and perhaps we might cross paths. Hopefully we'll be traveling in a new XP, which hopefully will be complete in July.

Bajaxplorer, looks like our paths may cross up there. We'll watch for you.

Jay, I also am sorry to hear of your change in plans. I hope all is well. Perhaps next year?

jamesb, your first post and already I envy you. A new XP. Good for you. I'll hold off from visiting Marc with wine so he can get it done in time for you. ;)

Thanks Ted,
All is well with us. Just a snag. I do have reservations in Denali. If they don't give me my money back I'll offer them up here.

Did you get your Denali Money Back?

If not when is your reservation and details?

thanks
robbie

I tried to post on your blog.

when in Homer stay at the camping park at the end of the homer spit...

right on the ocean and you can fish for flounder and sole from shore, and walk to all the shops.
Visit the Salty Dog Saloon on the spit...a fun place...

Robbie

Homer Spit camping is in our plans, appreciate your suggestion.
On the blog, to leave a comment/suggestion, you click on "comments" under one of the posts where you open comments to read them.
BX

I tried to post on your blog.

when in Homer stay at the camping park at the end of the homer spit...

right on the ocean and you can fish for flounder and sole from shore, and walk to all the shops.
Visit the Salty Dog Saloon on the spit...a fun place...

Robbie

Been preparing for this trip. Another four weeks to go. Had the truck tuned up and got new tires this week. Dodge doesn't provide wheel well liners on the rear and gravel, mud gets slung everywhere. I put some on recently as I figured the gravel would really eat up the paint and sheet metal under the bed and on the frame. Probably more than a little noisy as well.

Heading out first thing in the morning, first stop Hoover Dam to see the new bridge. We will take Hwy 93 all the way to Kalipell and Glacier Park. So glad to finally be done preparing and get on with it.

Congratulations. We always look forward to our trips over to Alaska... we will be in Dease lake B.C. July 18.19 and most likely the 20th. My wife is leaving on a 10 day horse trip so I am taking her down for the start. go back on july 30 to pick her up..

Will be in Valdez August 14 to 23rd. if you happen to be around.

Or of course in Watson lake...

Have a great trip...

Robbie

Heading out first thing in the morning, first stop Hoover Dam to see the new bridge. We will take Hwy 93 all the way to Kalipell and Glacier Park. So glad to finally be done preparing and get on with it.

This highway was known to be one of the deadliest highways in America until recently. The years of improvement have made it a much safer road to travel, according to the Federal Highway Administration.
PLEASE be very careful of US 93!

If you go thru Missoula, MT...
Bernice's Bakery 190 S. 3rd W. Missoula, MT 59801
FANTASTIC COFFEE!

Your last town on 93 will be Eureka, MT
GREAT FOOD!

Also as you just come into Eureka, there will be a little city park on your left (across from Town Pump gas) you can use.

Mike

Been preparing for this trip. Another four weeks to go. Had the truck tuned up and got new tires this week. Dodge doesn't provide wheel well liners on the rear and gravel, mud gets slung everywhere. I put some on recently as I figured the gravel would really eat up the paint and sheet metal under the bed and on the frame. Probably more than a little noisy as well.

Just checked out your Blog and subscribed. I am thinking about Alaska summer of 2013. Have a great trip.

Bill in STockton

Back
Top Bottom