Antenna mounted to Jack mounts?

XJINTX

OK, I know I should go with Ham Radio and I am but... I have a couple questions for those experienced.

I am going on a 10 day trip with some others. They will have Ham and CB radios. I am buying a handheld Ham so I can listen in on the Ham users. Won't be able to test for my license until after I return :(

So I want to use my Cobra 75 CB radio from my Jeep. Simple to move and use for the trip. I own a magnet mount antenna but they are a PIA off road. Does anyone know if I'd get a ground if I mounted an antenna to my aluminum Jackstand mount on my Hawk?

If that is not feasible... what may you suggest? As I said this is a temporary setup

Yes!

As a ham, I've mounted antennas to just about every part of a car, truck, camper, motorcycle and backpack. Some places will be more efficient than others.

But the truth is, you all will be rather close to each other, efficiency isn't going to be a real issue.

Focus more on a low SWR and a good mechanical mount. You should be fine for a short trip.

Good luck on getting your ham ticket! You'll have a lot of fun. :)

PS: If the mag mount worked on your Jeep, why won't it work for your truck?

This link ( http://www.k0bg.com/antmount.html ) will give you food for thought. There are several considerations for antenna mounts. I used mag mounts for years and had NMO mounts installed this year. I was surprised at the improvement using the same antenna I had in the mag mount.

Paul

Well, I use the jacks mounts to provide the ground for the trailer lights that are mounted to the jack mounts also. Should provide more than enough ground I think.

2M No Base Plane antenna mounted on a riser bolted to the jack bracket:
i-s5c36rp.jpg

Biggest problem with the location is keeping the coax from being damaged.

Cool and thanks for the replies!!! I will mount a firestick there for this trip. I'll just run coax out back sliding window. I did not use the mag mount on my Jeep just the ruck when towing Jeep with buds in caravan. Works well but sitting on top I think could be an issue when off the beaten path like we will be this trip.

THANKS AGAIN!!

I have a 10 foot collapsable fiberglass mast on my drivers rear jack mount for a Cell phone booster. Works like a champ. You can also get a plate that mounts in the Yakima Track that you can use for mag mounts. That was my old method. The plate is made by Wilson - I found it at a truck stop in the CD section.

rugged radios had 2 pole mounts made for their jack mounts. for 2 large antennas for repeater station relay for desert races I volunteer at. I have pics. I forgot to ask who built them

Back
Top Bottom