Any Experience with the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 Wide Angle Lenses?

GroovyDad

I'M SO CONFUSED...

I've been thinking about getting a wide angle lens for a while now, but the more I research them, the less I know and the more questions I have.

Tokina 11-16mm DX

tokina.jpg

I have a crop sensor Nikon and I really don't want to spend a lot on a full frame DSLR.

I've also heard that the Rokinon 12mm and 14mm lenses are great, but they're totally manual, which might not be a bad thing. Then, there's the barrel distortion thing to deal with also.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Bad Habit said:
Great lens, I really like the speed and clarity of it. I got originally for my crop body (60D) but can use it my full frame at the 16MM end.

Check out the group on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/groups/638028@N25/pool/

a startrails shot I did with it at Rock Creek a couple of weeks ago

Star Trails Rock Creek by John Russell, on Flickr
I checked out the Flickr and the photos are awesome. I wonder how many of them were taken with a cropped sensor camera vs. a full frame?

I would think the vast majority were on a crop sensor. The lens is designed for crop sensor cameras (EF-S mount in Cannon speak). Unlike an actual Canon EF-S lens, it can work on a full frame (EF mount) without damage to the body (the Canon EF-S lens protrude into the body and the mirror on a full frame body will hit it). I don't know how Nikon and others handle the mount differences

I agree with John, there isn't much advantage to shooting this lens on a full frame body.

A bit of an aside, I bumped into a well known photographer at Mesa Verde, and of course got to talking cameras. He has a number of Nikon bodies, including the D4s, but is going to the D500 Dx body for his wildlife work. It's his opinion that the D500 is every bit as good as the full blown pro bodies. Interesting...

Bad Habit said:
I would think the vast majority were on a crop sensor. The lens is designed for crop sensor cameras (EF-S mount in Cannon speak). Unlike an actual Canon EF-S lens, it can work on a full frame (EF mount) without damage to the body (the Canon EF-S lens protrude into the body and the mirror on a full frame body will hit it). I don't know how Nikon and others handle the mount differences

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I agree with John, there isn't much advantage to shooting this lens on a full frame body.

A bit of an aside, I bumped into a well known photographer at Mesa Verde, and of course got to talking cameras. He has a number of Nikon bodies, including the D4s, but is going to the D500 Dx body for his wildlife work. It's his opinion that the D500 is every bit as good as the full blown pro bodies. Interesting...
Thanks guys, that's very good to know AND encouraging to see what this lens can actually do. I feel much better about laying out the $$ for this lens after hearing from experienced people like you.

Thanks!

Timothy McGowen said:
Here are a couple of my favorite research sites. Don't let all the information confuse you but rather use it as a guide. I shoot a Canon 70D with a Canon 70-200 f4 L IS. It doesn't get the best scores bit it takes great photos. My camera being a crop sensor does not score well compared to full frame bodies but I understand that.

https://www.dxomark.com

https://www.dpreview.com
Thanks for forwarding these links to me. In all my research, I hadn't seen these sites.

I ordered the Tokina 11-16mm on Monday--I hope it fits the bill.

I enjoy using mine and I think you will too. I like the color this lens gives to a photo. Anxious for it to arrive?

ski3pin said:
I enjoy using mine and I think you will too. I like the color this lens gives to a photo. Anxious for it to arrive?
I am looking forward to it. I ordered a used one from Amazon, so I hope it's clean and clear.

Ski, you shoot everything in RAW don't you?

I never have because I didn't really understand RAW, but I've since read up on it, so I'm going to give it a try next time out. Bigger file size seems to be the only down side to it.

Yes, I do and I'd bet most here do also. RAW allows a bunch more flexibility in what you can do with an image.

One of the best things about RAW is that when you edit the file the original isn't changed but deltas are created, this allows you to 'undo' edits you don't like at a later date. I occasionally go back to shots I took in RAW 10 years ago and re edit them with current versions of processing software with better results, as an example.

Yep, the beauty of a non-destructive editing program and shooting RAW is not only can you rework and update, but also do multiple styles and versions. Once you have the RAW file, the sidecar "developing information is nothing.

I've deleted very few of the shots I've taken (woah nelly do I need to do some housekeeping!), and go back through and see what went wrong or play around and see what I can make out of things.

Ski, I agree, the color is very good on this lens. It seems to have a crispness that I don't perceive even from Canon "L" lenses. Probably has to do with the coatings on the glass. Also gives neat sunbursts

That's a beautiful photo. I've noticed the great sun burst shots from this lens on Flickr.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Wander The West mobile app

Back
Top Bottom