Any suggestions for S. Utah

Barko1

I'm heading out Friday for a week but haven't quite narrowed down the destination. Today I am thinking head towards Tuweep and then North to Rt 12 through Capital Reef area, Hanksville and the Southern Swell, or maybe over to Moab then back home to NM. I may take my daughters ATV, that necessitates the trailer, doesn't seem like I would use it by Tuweep but certainly the other spots. For sure I'll be hauling my 250 but on the rack if I don't take the ATV. I can drag the trailer down a lot of dirt but of course it can be a pain in the arse :LOL: Any thoughts??

I'll be on Cedar Mesa...it has quickly become my favorite. The route between Natural Bridges Nat'l Monument and into the Needles District of Canyonlands can't be beat. No trailer though...

Bike on the rack, more freedom to go where you want, and the bike (if plated) lets you go more places also, including in the National Parks like Arches and Canyonlands. You can cover much more ground on the bike. For example, White Rim takes me 6-8 hours each time on a bike, so an easy day trip, 130miles round trip. In a jeep I might do half the speed and only do parts of the road as a result. I can get into my camper OK with the bike on the rack. If I could not, it woud be a real pain, I would extend the hitch carrier enough to get the door open before a trip for sure.

Bike on the rack, more freedom to go where you want, and the bike (if plated) lets you go more places also, including in the National Parks like Arches and Canyonlands. You can cover much more ground on the bike. For example, White Rim takes me 6-8 hours each time on a bike, so an easy day trip, 130miles round trip. In a jeep I might do half the speed and only do parts of the road as a result. I can get into my camper OK with the bike on the rack. If I could not, it woud be a real pain, I would extend the hitch carrier enough to get the door open before a trip for sure.

If it were just me it would of course just be the bike on the back but the ATV is for my grown daughter. She used to ride but got hurt so at least she can do this for short trips so leaving the trailer behind means in part, leaving her behind, and since she has already been screwed over I don't like doing that a lot. The bike, a Husky TE250, is plated so I can go anywhere, literally :D and it is super light (230 dry) for loading on the back. I get my custom rack back today, designed it so the door will open enough.

Moody what Cedar Mesa are you going to be at? Just North of Moki Dugway? I started down the road towards Bears Ears one time but it was too muddy and rutted and riding solo on the bike out there didn't seem to wise at the time but I'd like to do that again. I even noticed some places to camp just as you head up that road. Burr Trail could be good as well, there is a Cedar Mesa down there as well.

Thanks for the ideas, I may let the truck decide. I do know we will be heading to Big Bend in January or February if anyone wants to join in.

Just a heads up although it may be too late. General deer season(rifle) starts this weekend. I wouldn't want to go wandering around too much in southern Utah until it's over. There will be deer camps all over the place complete with generators , plastic owls hanging from trailers and ATV's running around all over the backcountry.Belive me you haven't seen anything like Utah deer season, entire towns empty out and head to the woods.
Dsrtrat

I'm heading out Friday for a week but haven't quite narrowed down the destination. Today I am thinking head towards Tuweep and then North to Rt 12 through Capital Reef area, Hanksville and the Southern Swell, or maybe over to Moab then back home to NM. I may take my daughters ATV, that necessitates the trailer, doesn't seem like I would use it by Tuweep but certainly the other spots. For sure I'll be hauling my 250 but on the rack if I don't take the ATV. I can drag the trailer down a lot of dirt but of course it can be a pain in the arse :LOL: Any thoughts??

So many places that are great it's a tuff question. Got to go along with Moody,Cedar Mesa Area but then Escalante&Burr Trail and then........Went for a month last may and never left Cedar Mesa. S. Utah is the best place to explore you could spend a life time at least I could.

There's a dawgawn road (I think it's called Hell's Backbone) that you really ought to drive. It's not too trailer friendly, IIRC...

EDIT--> Oh, and the Burr trail...

Well I have the trailer and ATV with me. TRuck headed up 191 into S. Utah last night, stayed by the San Juan. This morning took the ATV and my Husky 250 up Comb Wash, great ride. Lot more fun for me on the bike than a truck. Now I am getting ready to cook some dinner, In Devils Canyon South of Monticello, may try some riding by Wison Arch or Indian Creek tomorrow, who knows :)

I was outside of Bluff, UT on Comb Wash. Sorry I wasn't able to get back with you sooner...

Well we were there as well. Then went to the Hook and Ladder OHV area S of Moab. Spent one night on the river by another FWC, then on to the Sego petroglyphs site and then South Temple area of the San Rafeal Swell. Left there today just before the rains hit this afternoon. Since it was raining kept driving and at Mesa Verde but there stikin campground is closed. Now at Mancos State Park. decided not to backcountry camp given the heavy rain. Have had a great trip, love the Swell.

Back
Top Bottom