Anybody Use SL-Rated Tires (Tacoma)?

camper101

I'm thinking of getting snow tires, and it might be time for some new tires as well. Last time I looked into this, I decided to go with E-rated tires. I'll probably do that again, but out of curiosity, I'm wondering about SL — particularly for the winter time.

I have a Tacoma and Eagle.

1. Is anybody running SL-rated tires year-round without problem?
  2. Dumb question: Any issues with a snow tire when you get off the beaten path, in the Utah desert, for example? I don't get too crazy, but I feel more confident around pointy rocks with a 10-ply tire.
Thanks, all!

Aren't SL rated tires are typical passenger car tires (P-metric) and have a max inflation of 35psi? This is probably a little low for even a Tacoma with a FWC. I am pretty sure 'SL' is equivalent to load range 'B' in light truck tires. This is equivalent to a '4-ply' rating in old school terms (although this does not correlate with how many plies the tire may have).

I have run Blizzack W965 Load range 'E' (aka 10 ply) snow tires on my first Tacoma with a camper - these were great in the snow and fine in the desert.

Thanks Rando - that's helpful to hear. E-rated snow tires sound like an excellent idea. I didn't see Blizzacks in my size, but I'll ask a tire shop for more help.

Blizzacks and other snow tires are certainly available in 235/85R16 E, which is what I use on my Tacoma. I think this is a fairly common size for full size work trucks.

Back
Top Bottom