Anyone ever had a T100?

roverjohn

I've been looking at Tacos recently and happened to come across a 95' T100. The standard cab was too small but the truck kind of intrigued me just because it's a bit bigger without being too big plus you can get the 2.7l 4cy and a manual trans. So, has anyone had one and how well did it hold up. I don't want to take it to Chile and back, just get me around the desert whilst carrying a camper and a minimum of gear.
Thanks,John

I had one for about 5 years. It was my favorite Toyota truck and I have had a few over the years. Wished they had continued making them. If you can get one in good shape/low miles, grab it.

Aren't the 1st gen Tundras just an up grade + over the T 100s?
Same size.
I know I'll get some comments about this.
I have a 02 Tundra and like it's size.
It's between the Tacoma and new Tundras in size.
Frank

Howdy

Our 97 T100 carried our Hawk shell pretty well.

It has held up well and has well over 200K miles.

That said, I would advise finding one with the V6...only a very few had the 4 cylinder.

They are a comfortable truck for interstate and pretty good off road if driven sensibly.

They are essentially the grand dad for the Tundra series.

David Graves

A Tundra is a long ways from a T100 in my opinion. Way more advanced. T100 made all it torque down low so no need to rev it. It wouldn't go any faster, at least mine sure wouldn't. Mine was basically bulletproof, with its manual transmission, but hardly a speedster. After that I owned Chevy, GMCs, and Ford in 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and one ton iterations. They would all eat my T100 for lunch. Solid reliable transportation from a bygone era is the way I would describe it. I don't miss it.

Thanks guys. A buddy works at a dealers auction that runs through a couple thousand cars a week and he's agreed to look for me.
Not sure why but it cracked me up that aardvark thinks twenty years ago is a bygone era. Almost like the truck will have points and a mechanical voltage regulator.

Hardly the case I was expecting point and distributor. I was reflecting on what I regarded as torque characteristics best found in farm tractors, probably fine off-road but something I found irritating as a daily driver sometimes hauler. As I often say, "different strokes for different folks". :)

Vic Harder said:
Cracks me up... get it? :D :D :D
Of course.

Reminds me of the saying "you buy horsepower but you drive torque".

Gotta have that long stroke for big torque.

Foy

My mechanic still owns a V6 model that he uses extensively off road and loves it.

For the first couple of years owning the 2013 as I got used to the size and how an automatic works off road, I used to say the same about the '99 Tacoma 2.7-4 cylinder except with the Eagle shell it had no power over 60mph. Too much weight. Though in 14 years and 162,000 miles it was very reliable.

You will get the same out of a T-100. The 4 cylinder is an issue. I suppose you could lower the axel ratio to 4:56 then maybe add a "Gear Vendors" overdrive unit to improve the highway mileage.

I had my 2003 Eagle on my 1997 T100 for 9 years and still have it.[The truck not the Eagle]They are great trucks (maybe the best Toyota ever made) and here are 3 reasons why.#1Toyota original IFS torsion bar suspension- much more heavy-duty than new style.#2 gearbox steering,no steering rack.#3 Easy to install manual locking hubs.The 3.4 v6 is a great motor although a little under powered it will get you where you need to go.
All that said,I really like my 2017 Tacoma with my 2014 ATC Bobcat.

I had my 2003 Eagle on my 1997 T100 for 9 years and still have it.[The truck not the Eagle]They are great trucks (maybe the best Toyota ever made) and here are 3 reasons why.#1Toyota original IFS torsion bar suspension- much more heavy-duty than new style.#2 gearbox steering,no steering rack.#3 Easy to install manual locking hubs.
All that said,I really like my 2017 Tacoma with my 2014 ATC Bobcat.

I know this is an old thread but I'll also add that the T100 is one of the last toyotas you could buy that had a fully boxed frame from front to back. Much like the close to 1 ton rated Hiluxes the rest of the world can get. Hardly any flex and have never had a turnbuckle come loose on mine even after long stints off pavement. Payload is also pretty high for a small truck compared to modern tacomas.
Supercharger helps but it's still underpowered compared to a newer V6 or a V8...

Back
Top Bottom