Anyone hike the 'wave' lately?

Vic

camping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range
Starting to block off some vacation time next fall already, and thinking of putting in for a Wave permit. Just wondered if anyone has done the hike recently?

Website says about 6 hours r/t, and the hardest part of the hike is getting a permit!

wave-coyote-buttes.jpg

Did it about 18 months ago by getting the permit in advance through the lottery. Absolutely an incredible trip!

Have entered the lottery on four other occasions since then with no luck.

Never tried the day before drawing in Kanab but have heard it is a zoo.

Vic said:
Cayuse what month did you go then? About October? How was the weather. Am thinking of trying over Christmas break but not sure if weather will cooperate.
It was October 10th I think that we did it. The weather was absolutely ideal, high temp that day was maybe low-mid 70's Generally you want to arrive at The Wave when the sun is directly overhead to minimize shadows. and with it being a unsheltered hike anything warmer would mean a heavier pack for more water.

We stayed the night before and the night after at Stateline Campground and then drove out over Buckskin Mountain to 89A.

Christmas time would probably work just fine for the hike, a bit of snow would make things really spectacular!

readytoroam said:
Pretty cool pic. wheres this place at?
Utah, near Kanab. You can google it BTW, I've been told but can't verify, that there are other places less known that are equally as good if not better. Anyone care to comment?

kmcintyre said:
BTW, I've been told but can't verify, that there are other places less known that are equally as good if not better. Anyone care to comment?
White Pocket, AZ is supposed to be a pretty spectacular place and is further down House Rock Valley Rd.

Back
Top Bottom