Anyone using an inReach 2-way Satellite Communicator?

Bigfoot, it sounds like we use the same approach. InReach for emergencies and a different GPS device for navigation. I have the previous version of the InReach Explorer and while I generally like the device, I find the user interface to be a poor and I don't like depending on my phone for a navigation screen. I would be interested in hearing from members that have used GPS devices and now own the new version of InReach Explorer. It appears they improved the Explorer and may have eliminated the need for a separate navigational device but it would be good to hear from other members about their experience with the device for navigation and also their feeling on the design of the user interface. Hopefully that has been simplified.

I've got the new Explorer+ and while I haven't held the old one, this seems much nicer from looking at pics of the older models. Very comfortable to hold in the hand. The user interface is nice once you get used to it and quick to navigate around. The GPS works well and it comes preloaded with Garmin's topo map. It may be because I am used to looking at USGS maps, but I still prefer using Gaia on my iPhone with the USGS maps for checking on location and getting a bigger view of things (more screen on the iPhone compared to the Explorer+), etc. Also easier to scroll around maps in the iPhone vs the directional arrow on the Explorer+. But, a couple of weeks ago I was camping and hiking in the Utah desert and the GPS/maps on the Explorer+ has a bunch of old roads that were not on the USGS maps, and were not even used as roads anymore - but were nice to use for a trail, etc. So that was nice added info. It was actually nice to have both that map and the USGS map on my phone.

Using Earthmate on my phone (paired or not paired) gives me a larger more useful map that the Explorer+ alone - and you can add a basemap of public lands so you know when you are on public lands - nice for camping.

I have played with messaging, getting weather reports, etc and very pleased with all of it. Battery usage is pretty minimal just using at 1" log of route without sending location or checking messages. I have used it some (to test it) for uploading my route in real time and it still seemed pretty good on batteries - but I don't really need this feature so went with the safety plan. If I want to get real time tracking for a trip I can upgrade for a month.

I plan to use if for emergencies and to keep a track of my route when hiking in case I need to retrace my steps. The Explorer+ at 1" log interval is pretty similar in distance to my Suunto GPS watch at 1 sec interval tracking. Not sure how that works. When I track at 1" on my Suunto, it is way off in distance from tracking on my phone GPS. So Garmin has done something right there. Tracking on the iPhone uses too much battery, so nice to be able to keep a track on the Explorer+.

I will like having the emergency, weather info, and communication ability of the Explorer+, and having it and my phone to use as GPS's as needed. A little back up is good :)

While most of us do not likely travel to extreme remote locations on motorcycle like Pete and Ash...
Here's why I never go off the grid without my inReach, regardless of mode of travel.

Regarding GPSs. I always carry two, but, do not use them for navigation in remote locations. I use paper maps for orienteering. GPS will drive or walk you off a cliff. Why darn near every NP/NM (located in rugged terrain) map I've seen has a printed statement not to use a GPS device for navigation; they can be grossly unreliable.

Don't know how to land nav or orienteer? Your nearest REI probably offers classes on compass navigation and orienteering.

Kokopelli's thoughtful post (#142) on his Explorer+ reminded me I had seen a post regarding the maps on that unit. The post says they aren't Garmin-format maps but rather Delorme-format maps. The specifications page for the Explorer+ confirms this with the statement:

"The North America SKU of the inReach Explorer+ comes preloaded with a 1:24k map of Garmin Yarmouth (Former DeLorme) North America data of the U.S. and Canada. Mexico also is included at a 1:125k scale (derived from Garmin Yarmouth’s Digital Atlas of the Earth)."

So it appears Garmin now calls the Delorme-format maps "Garmin Yarmouth maps" and calls Garmin-format maps "Garmin maps". (note- for those of you wondering why 'Yarmouth', Delorme's headquarters and Map Store was located in Yarmouth, Maine.)

Also, at the bottom of the Overview page for the Explorer+, we see the statement "²Preloaded DeLorme TOPO maps are not compatible with other Garmin devices. Other Garmin maps not compatible with this device."

The other thing I noticed on the specs page was the field "Ability to add maps" has a green checkmark. That confused me a bit as I now know you can't add Garmin maps. What, exactly, can you add? I called the Inreach team and the answer is Yarmouth-format international topo and US hunting maps. The capacity for user-added maps is 2 GB.

Also- Please note that those of us who use micro-SD cards for topo and international maps (like me) can't use those in the Explorer+ . The format isn't compatible and there isn't a micro-SD card slot. That of course doesn't matter to those of us using both GPS and Inreach but may be a disappointment to anyone hoping to cut back the number of electronics they carry.

Thank you Old Crow. That is great information to consider when weighing the option to upgrade to the Explorer+.
Unfortunately, I was one of those that was hoping to reduce the number of electronic devices in my pack. If I had a request of Garmin, it would be to invest in a team of UX professionals. Besides improving the interface, they would hopefully enable them to reduce the number of products.

All-

There's an interesting series of short tutorial videos on the Inreach SE and Explorer available here at AvoidingChores. I watched a few of them while deciding whether I wanted to buy an Inreach and now find them useful for learning more detail about it's functions. They sometimes throw quite a lot of info at you in a short time but of course you can back up or just stop and research further before replaying or continuing.

The videos are done by Jim Cyr, an interesting Nova Scotian who does many outdoors-related videos on his web site.

I'm on a friend's list of receptee's. He's out and about this weekend on his first trip with it and it seems he has 'push-the-button'-itis......

On his plan if I respond via the garmin page it counts against his max msgs per day, so I've been fwd'ing to his email that I got them. I'm sure he doesn't have coverage where he's at, but he'll see them soon enough.

I sent two text messages last weekend. One to my brother Chris, and another to my sister Carolyn. They both replied back, unfortunately their names were shortened to c.ruth. So I had no idea who was who. I guess I could just blame my mom instead :)

Anyone use the upgraded maps available like the Earthmate Hunt for $34 a year? Very new to the system just wondering if the maps show more detail. the standard map was not very helpful in finding a road a few weeks ago but did let us know we had gone too far and were in Idaho

Funny story ..... I was primitive camping around a lake in the Sierra's. I took a nap only to find out that a lot of smoke from a fire had settled in around the lake. Out of reach from the local radio stations, wasn't quite sure if the fire was near by or it was just the smoke. Turned out the fire was about 30 miles away. Stopped a Forest Ranger the next day and asked, "what happens when there's a forest fire in the area" his answer was that if it was in a campground they would come through and tell everybody to evacuate the area, if your primitive camping ....... your on your own!

So my question is: does anyone make a satellite radio that would keep with the local fires? I have "Spot" but wasn't quite ready to send in the black helicopters. I also have a satellite t.v. and sirius radio but either would give me the data that I needed. Any ideas?

Thanks

This is where a scanner or radio capable of picking up vhf comes in handy. If I smell smoke and hear them dispatching engines nearby its time to pack up.

Since we have moved to the InReach, we find the ability to send and receive text messages handy. In the case of fires, we have a couple old forester friends that monitor inciweb and fires. If we have a question like Funstini's above, we can get an answer.

I got a SPOT before I left for my no-destination travels last year and liked it, but was never terribly happy with the lack of two-way communication. My concern with the inReach is that perhaps it tried to do too much? Technology that tries to do too much generally doesn't do any of it well....

That said, I will probably end up retiring my SPOT and getting an inReach for it's two-way communication abilities. It'd be nice to be able to let my ppl know "something is wrong with truck motor, might need help, stay tuned" vs "leg broke, trapped under log, send troops" vs "gonna stay at this location couplea more days"

Basically, I've nothing new to add to this discussion, but I'm bored at work and have been thinking about this quite a bit over the past couplea years. Currently, I'm in the Midwest where I haven't yet found a cell-signal-less (or people-less) area to camper, so I'm not in a hurry.

The two way communication is great. Either "I need help but don't need a helicopter" or "send the cavalry, group got hit by lightning, one helicopter isn't enough" can be invaluable.

My sister is sending me updates of her trip along the High Sierra trail. Nice to follow along.

Back
Top Bottom