Anza Borrego-Salton Sea-San Luis Reservoir

captainkettel

It was the first week of March 09'. The weather was cold and getting colder. I said to myself...self! "What the hell am I doing here in the snow". So I loaded up my kayak, bicycle and the Sportsmobile and headed south. First day I drove from Sequim down to Valley of the Rogue SP. Stayed there for the night. Cold as hell! The next day is was on to San Luis Reservoir. Nice as usual but still a little cold. Two days later I had arrived! First night was at Ocotillo Wells SVRA. The weather was finally WARM! Low 80's...right on!
I had come down for the weather and the Desert Spring Bloom. I stayed at the park for a couple days enjoying the heat and taking a guided Wild Flower tour from the Park Ranger. One of the most interesting and most productive things I have done while traveling. I learned where to look for the little tiny wild flowers.:thumb:

Attachments

• phpM5HePXAM.jpg
    phpM5HePXAM.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 367
  • phpP3jM0AAM.jpg
    phpP3jM0AAM.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 367
  • phpDCSxRBAM.jpg
    phpDCSxRBAM.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 374
Then next few days where spent camping up at Fish Creek in Anza Borrego SP, I wondered aimlessly in the desert looking at Desert wild flowers and enjoying the heat. I went to the Park headquarters at Borrego Springs. Neat little town. I found the flowers in the photos at Henderson Canyon. Even got the picture of the jack rabbit.

Attachments

• phpwOfSZiAM.jpg
    phpwOfSZiAM.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 367
  • phpE79ec5AM.jpg
    phpE79ec5AM.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 364
  • phpxKC1LIAM.jpg
    phpxKC1LIAM.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 364
  • phpFtFhr9AM.jpg
    phpFtFhr9AM.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 363
  • phpxrIYd9AM.jpg
    phpxrIYd9AM.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 358
Part 3 ABSP

Here are a few more wild flowers. Then it was back to Ocotillo Wells SVRA for one more night before I headed to the Salton Sea Recreation Area for a little kayaking and cycling.

Attachments

• phpzLjZ52AM.jpg
    phpzLjZ52AM.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 345
  • phpft3nhGAM.jpg
    phpft3nhGAM.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 338
  • phpxTk12qAM.jpg
    phpxTk12qAM.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 352
  • phpIrgyyuAM.jpg
    phpIrgyyuAM.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 351
  • phpjCs8CrAM.jpg
    phpjCs8CrAM.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 345
Salton Sea

On to the Salton Sea for a few days. A little windy at times, but warm, sunny weather and pretty to cool to do some kayaking in...:D

Attachments

• phpmK0tM3AM.jpg
    phpmK0tM3AM.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 360
  • phpnBS4bcAM.jpg
    phpnBS4bcAM.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 354
Heading Home

Well, I had been on the road for almost two weeks now. it was time to head home. I took 395 toward Mojave and then up 99 and on to San Luis Reservoir. I kayaked for five hours straight in San Luis Reservoir. The weather was cooler now. High 60's. I almost felt cold! But I knew when I got back home it was going to be in the high 30's. It has snowed several times and we even had snow on the first of April! No joke! Time to hit the road again for some more adventures.....

Attachments

• phpXeafmwAM.jpg
    phpXeafmwAM.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 350
  • phpG1nDl3AM.jpg
    phpG1nDl3AM.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 343
No kidding...Thanks a bunch for sharing!

It's been snowin' here almost daily for a week+....I'm envious of you folks who are camping and actually touching the ground...

and flowers! Wow... we have a few months here before we even see the tulips come up! LOL...just about the same time these beautiful areas you guys are teasing me with are 115F in the shade...:eek::eek::eek:

I guess the snow isn't so bad after all! LOL :thumb: Gonna be a KILLER Rocky Mountain runoff this year. Bring yer kayak!

have a safe drive home.....

mtn

Just a couple more Desert flowers and a shot of my newest toy! Happy Easter!:D

Attachments

• phpzL3tPNPM.jpg
    phpzL3tPNPM.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 217
  • phpuhgisgPM.jpg
    phpuhgisgPM.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 213
  • phpEz6nmDPM.jpg
    phpEz6nmDPM.jpg