Approach to Planning, researching road(s) & trips

Group

Just did my basic course at the Hungry Valley State Vehicular Recreation Area, Gorman, CA

Tim Fallon Badlands off road and a man named Mike explained and ran 4 vehicles with drivers over the course for six plus hours.

I expected to learn a lot and I did, now if it will stick is the question. Do remember I am new relatively to the whole driving thing, truck has locking hubs, yes, but I have had no reason to "lock" them till now, air down tires, abstract idea now I have done it for a day.

I was the elephant amongst the goats in our small group, the rest of the Saturday in California saw all manor of jeep, FJ, light pickups not many trucks, did not notice any campers running the course, however I was busy paying attention so as not to damage my truck and camper much ( minor change/damage did occur ).

If new to this I can say do investigate this course, state of California charge like $5 to risk your ride on all manor of obstacle.

Supervised course is more expensive and not without risks.

Terence

Beware that even main dirt roads may have storm damage. Especially early in the season the FS may not even be aware of them yet. Another vehicle is great. I explore a lot solo but I'd never run the rubicon and such solo. I frequently get out and walk. Maybe I can make it past this obstacle but not the next one. Don't be afraid to just say no. Turn around and come back another day. Consider a sat comm. I'll use the cell and ham but its nice knowing if all else fails I can hit the sos.

Classes are great, so is going on some club/association runs and listening and seeing what the experienced guys do.

Idahostat - you are overthinking this! Your truck is super capable, and with some observing and a bit of knowing the terrain, you'll be fine. I was new to four-wheel off-roading when I got my Tacoma in 2014. I'd been riding motorcycles off-road for a while, so had an idea of how off-road roads work - dirt, rocky, hills, etc. But it's different when it's hard to see over the hood! (I'm short).

Take it slow. Don't go on a road that gives you the heebie-jeebies (I tend to stay away from mud, not fond of steep downhill, too much washboard - which doesn't give me the heebie-jeebies, it just sucks....)

Like others have said, if you are unsure of the road, stop, get out, walk it. My first 4x4 doing was when I got a bug up my butt to go the old back way into Arches National Park. Luckily, I had cell signal, and Cayuse (on here) was able to give me real-time advice. I walked the short bit and across the wash, went into 4-lo and took it very slow. That built my confidence a ton!
Read a bunch of how-to, take classes, all that is all helpful

But mostly, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good!
Hands on and exploring and building confidence and having fun are key!

Oh, and yeah - I like Google Maps for pre-planning if possible. I learned how to tell sandy areas, and bad sections on the google map. That helps.

Also, stop in at Ranger stations and ask how road conditions are, get a forest map from them. If you already have an idea of what route you wanna take, ask them how it is and what conditions are like.

Back
Top Bottom