ARB, Waeco, or Engel

Rob in MT

ARB and Waeco have the auto shutoff when the battery is low.
All three appear to have good compressors.
All three have good reviews, can't find anything bad on any of them.
Engel (MT45) holds the least (60 cans), next is Waeco (CF50) (68 cans), ARB (50qt) the most (72 cans).
ARB and Waeco seem to have a bit better inside setup with the compressor shelf.
Waeco top doesn't appear to be as strong.

The big difference is the price. Shipped, the Waeco is $550, ARB is $719, and Engel $804.
Another significant difference is the Waeco can open from both the side and the end. ARB and Engel, only at the ends. Since I am planning on having this behind the truck seat, side opening is probably better.

Thinking of the Waeco because of side opening and cost. Everything else seems the same. Any reasons to go with the others? Thanks for your help.

The lids on the new ARB's can be pulled off easily by the way, not sure if that helps your truck seat situation.

Also not having ever read much on the waceo unit I quickly googled and it looks like it might pull 3.75 amps average. That is fairly high compared to the other two if that is the case. I'd look into that a bit more (I could be wrong there).

The lids on the new ARB's can be pulled off easily by the way, not sure if that helps your truck seat situation.

Also not having ever read much on the waceo unit I quickly googled and it looks like it might pull 3.75 amps average. That is fairly high compared to the other two if that is the case. I'd look into that a bit more (I could be wrong there).

Engle lids are easily removed as well.

Engle lids are easily removed as well.

"Easy" as in no tool and just a quick yank after its unlatched with only having to open it slightly?

Engel lids are notorious for slipping off the hinge when opened. That's why they sell this accessory (which I use) -

Hinge-Lock__65852_zoom.jpg

A few friends have the Waeco and seem satisfied. I know the company changed hands recently and one guy had some problems getting his fridge repaired with them, but mostly I've heard nothing but good things about the fridge itself.

One reason to consider the other brands is the available accessories for them; transit bag to keep it running more efficiently, hinge lock as noted above, slide lock - which makes a solid fixed base, wireless temp display, and a sliding tray - allowing the fridge to be pulled out of an enclosed space. To the best of my knowledge, Waeco does not offer any extras.

Also the ARBs and Engels lids can be modified to open from the front instead of from the end. It does involve drilling into your $800 fridge, but it is a popular mod that has been well documented on a few other forums.

Here's a deal for the weekend if anyone is close to pulling the trigger on a fridge...

Very similar to the Waeco, ARB and Engel models... Good reviews on their site and lots of happy users over on Expedition Portal. According to this thread, there are other discounts if you qualify to get it down to $392. That's a hell of a deal for a $600 fridge. Apparently it's a sale for this weekend only.

Compact Appliance seems to have sales quite often. Craig got one off the dent and scrached section for cheaper.

I pulled the trigger on a new 63 quart ARB because Wil had free shipping and sale at Sierra Expenditions http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/

So far it is running off AC in the garage and looking good. The lid pulls off the hinge but have not tried it yet.

I like the 63 qt because it is lower profile. It will be sitting in the back of the 4 Runner on a platform and I can open the lid and access everything inside between the roof. Was going to buy the EdgeStar but it is taller. Engel was more money, so went down the middle of the road.

Love my Engel. The only thing I don't like about it is how easy the lid does come off and the pain it is to put back on.

Guess I need one of those kits!!!! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom