Arc Dome Wilderness Nevada - July 2017

I'm late here too! I've been looking at my Arc Dome maps for years and wondering about that place; thanks for taking us along, might get there yet---sure looks good (better than where I spent the 4th)-maybe later, I'll get there if i can de-bug my pop-up from my run up to the Modoc NF! Yep, would need a few more beers with Ted to do that-but would need to take lots of rest stops.Sure is nice country!

Smoke

As always, fine report, great photos. But don't tell me that Mme Ski used that particular motivational technique with her students. Although I bet it would have worked.

N'kwala said:
<snip>
But don't tell me that Mme Ski used that particular motivational technique with her students. Although I bet it would have worked.
Oh my goodness...................... :)

Noticed that there's very little shade on the trail - is there a bad time to pack up there as far as temps and availability of water? I'm sure you've been asked a zillion x's but what camera are you using? You take great bird closeups!!

Fun read. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
It's good to know there are still uncrowded places to visit.

I thought the plane crash site was particularly interesting. Good catch.

Smokecreek1 said:
I'm late here too! I've been looking at my Arc Dome maps for years and wondering about that place; thanks for taking us along, might get there yet---sure looks good (better than where I spent the 4th)-maybe later, I'll get there if i can de-bug my pop-up from my run up to the Modoc NF! Yep, would need a few more beers with Ted to do that-but would need to take lots of rest stops.Sure is nice country!

Smoke
N'kwala said:
As always, fine report, great photos. But don't tell me that Mme Ski used that particular motivational technique with her students. Although I bet it would have worked.
Thank you both for your kind comments!

Ronin said:
Noticed that there's very little shade on the trail - is there a bad time to pack up there as far as temps and availability of water? I'm sure you've been asked a zillion x's but what camera are you using? You take great bird closeups!!
The area above tree line is open but temps are not too bad as it is close to 11,000 feet. There was still plenty of snow up high feeding small trickles. Most water is found down in the canyons so to stay the night up high you would want to pack water up. My old camera is a Nikon D3200 dslr.

Lighthawk said:
Fun read. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
It's good to know there are still uncrowded places to visit.

I thought the plane crash site was particularly interesting. Good catch.
Lighthawk, thanks for the kind comments, we appreciate it.

There's a delay in me getting a copy of the crash report from 1945. There are many details I'm curious about that I hope the report addresses.

ski3pin said:
The area above tree line is open but temps are not too bad as it is close to 11,000 feet. There was still plenty of snow up high feeding small trickles. Most water is found down in the canyons so to stay the night up high you would want to pack water up. My old camera is a Nikon D3200 dslr.
Valuable info on h20, thanks! - I can't pack an SLR anymore- at my age I have to keep my pack weight down to 20-22 lbs. Fortunately Iphones take decent (enuff) pics, play music, have great gps mapping ( Gaia), Sibley/Audubon bird guides, etc, etc. It's the one piece of electronica that has become part of my standard kit.

ski3pin said:
Lighthawk, thanks for the kind comments, we appreciate it.

There's a delay in me getting a copy of the crash report from 1945. There are many details I'm curious about that I hope the report addresses.
I may update our blog story with information found in the official crash report. The flight path from Utah followed the Humboldt River route (now Interstate 80) west until turning south to fly down the Reese River Valley and on to Tonopah. The crew's last radio contact acknowledged receiving the broadcast weather report from Tonopah - cloud ceiling at 3000 feet and light rain.

Flying in clouds they did not realize how close they were to the mountain crest they paralleled. Crash site evidence shows they were in level flight when they hit.

Arc-Dome-B24-Crash-Report-17-copy.jpg

Years later aluminum salvagers pioneered the 4x4 route to the crashsite and melted debris down and hauled it off

The crash report contains a few aerial shots that indicate a return climb to the site could be interesting. :)

Back
Top Bottom