Are the factory roof screws strong enough to hold rack

cannuk

Advanced Member
Hey everyone,

Sorry about all the posts. I just started installing my Yakima rack. I started by lining it up to the factory roof screws, backing out the ones where I wanted to put the rack. Putting the rack over the holes, and then reinstalling the screws. 2 of the screws seem stripped. Has anyone else ran into this? From reading I thought this was the way to do it. Now I question wether they are in the roof joists... Should I just upgrade the screw to the next size?

Thanks

If I pull up on the track it seems pretty secure. I can shake the whole truck by pulling on it

Went to the hardware store this morning and got the next size up, but pan head this time. Thanks for the advice. I need the rack to carry my long board Super Doody. I am sure you are aware how small its been lately :)

cannuk said:
If I pull up on the track it seems pretty secure. I can shake the whole truck by pulling on it
years ago Yakima's default way of testing rack installs was to get it installed, grab the bars and shake, if the car moved and not the mounts the install was considered solid.

This was taught in many a product clinic over the years.

Cayuse said:
years ago Yakima's default way of testing rack installs was to get it installed, grab the bars and shake, if the car moved and not the mounts the install was considered solid.

This was taught in many a product clinic over the years.
Then I pass the test. I reinstalled this afternoon with some #12 pan head screws (instead of the 10) and it shook the whole damn truck real good.

Back
Top Bottom